Thrunite TN-31 problem

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

Sold my old Thrunite TN-31 to a guy I know and tonight he's having trouble with it. Basically the light output is WAY down, very dim even at the highest setting. It will cycles through the power levels fine, and strobe, turn on and off as it should. But like I said the light output is tiny.

I brought back my own light and we swapped the head of my TN-31 onto the body of his TN-31 and vice versa. Whatever the problem is it seems to originate in the head section of his light. He wants to know if he can can parts or a new head section or if there's a cheap fix to this problem?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

John

Lithium466

Enlightened
Hi,

you can buy spare led board + led and driver assembly directly from Thrunite, for a reasonable price. I had a TN31 with a faulty driver which kept burning the led, and I was able to buy a spare driver from Thrunite, thanks to Sholyn.
Disassembly is not very difficult. At first you may try just swapping the led, some TN31 came with kapton tape under the led board, obviously it leads to problems :)

ps: since you're not living so far from me, I can do the driver and/or led swap for you if you don't feel like doing it yourself.

Last edited:

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lithium,

Where you based? I'll run it by my friend, he wanted to get a new one but that was before we knew we could get parts now. Would you have an idea of the price roughly? I don't think I'd like to attempt it myself tbh!

Thanks,

John

Lithium466

Enlightened
Hi John,

I'm in France (yeah, I know). I paid $15 for the driver + shipping, if I remember correctly, and replaced the led myself. This was this summer. If you want I can contact Thrunite to see if parts are still available :)

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
Lol France is a bit far!

We're in contact with Thrunite to the point of actually sending them a video of the problem. Frustratingly they've replied it looks normal. The torch didn't even emit ANY light at the lower two settings in the video, this is normal? I don't think so. They want us to measure lumens now, can't do that so will compare with a cool white tn31 in another video. Not sure they'll accept that as they've already started fudging the issue regarding the difference between cool white and warm white.

My next torch won't be a Thrunite I think.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I always got appropriate (and quite fast) answer and service from Thrunite CS. And you're at the right place to ask for assistance, if you can source spare parts :)