Coast polysteel lenser LED I.D.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife bought me a coast polysteel LED lenser from Lowe's for Xmas. It's approx 10w. And the LED pcb says "cree. V2. And HJD" printed on it. From what I can tell, it seems to be a tffc type chip (no lines, only dots visible when projected on a wall). It was domed but no longer.
ANYONE know about this LED? And perhaps a suggested UV replacement?
Tnx guys!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, is there a UV equivalent available?

With 10% UV transmission in Acrylic, you'd probably want a glass lens. Unfortunately, high-power UV LEDs are pretty expensive and difficult to get in hobbyist quantities.

/!\ High-power UV flashlights are pocket-sized cataract/skin damage wands.

True-UV leds (Most you can get for cheap are purple not UV) are very dangerous to the eyes. What are you hoping to do with UV? If you just want fluorescent response, High-output royal blue is safer, cheaper, and generally more effective.

This might be a UV Cree 7090. Or something like that.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm.... Well fluorescence is one main goal (cat urine, etc),
But experimental uses as well.
Would simply removing the phosphor be effective? (And yes, I've done this successfully on much smaller LEDs)
I realize true UV is very dangerous but may be more effective for my uses, I frequently work with UV and IR lasers so not worried about hazards since I use safety precautions. I haven't seen many true UV LEDs in this use so idk what to look for.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so, decided not to go the UV route, instead I took the liberty t of gutting it (stock cool white xm-l2, joke of a driver with horrid pwm) and swapping with a nice new dedomed warm white xm-l2, cc multi mode driver and built a single 18650 holder to replace the stock 4xAA holder.
It's a little lighter, allot brighter and the new modes (moonlight-25-50-100) are so much better then the suck pwm stock driver. Color is beautiful as well.
Just wish I could have crammed 2p 18650s in it!

fishx65

Enlightened
Just found a couple of these at Home Depot for just under $8.00. Nice 4aa lights that kinda remind me of the Streamlight Propolys.

fishx65

Enlightened
Wow, were they on clearance?

Yes. The ones I got are called the Polysteel 600 and it says 579 lumens on the package. I think I just got lucky cuz it sounds like these have been on clearance for a while.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
None in store here. :/
Guessing it's a discontinued product and they were just getting rid of the last few.
Only place near here that carries them is Lowe's. Still $30.
I'll keep in eye out for them on sale tho.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did a run test for thermal and time.
Using 2 26650s I got about 2½hrs @ 3.1A (to the LED) before the thermal safety kicked in. Was hot but below the damage zone. No discoloration of the phosphor even with the limited heatsink.
+2 hrs of +1000 lumens is more then I'll ever need with this light. If I need more than that, I have a dozen bigger lights.
Idk if the $30 price tag is worth it as the stock light but modified, it's becoming my mainstay light for around the house/nightstand.
Moonlight mode is great for when spouse is sleeping since my other 3 nightstand lights lack that feature.

fishx65

Enlightened
Been messing with this light for a couple days now. Seems like a nice durable work horse of a light that will fit in well for my late night deer tracking adventures. I've been using a stable of modded Propolys for many years for tracking duties. The design of this light reminds me of a huge Surefire G2!!!!

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been messing with this light for a couple days now. Seems like a nice durable work horse of a light that will fit in well for my late night deer tracking adventures. I've been using a stable of modded Propolys for many years for tracking duties. The design of this light reminds me of a huge Surefire G2!!!!

Yeah, for most ppl who aren't as picky as I am, it's a decent light.
Pwm and tint snobs will find it offensive, espc when movement is involved on low mode. Very stroby.
I modded mine cause I wanted to push this host. Getting Uber run time with a flicker free warm white multi mode lighting. Cost incl host is about $45. Not a bad deal imo.
:) glad you're enjoying yours.may you get yrs of usage!