Rayus - should I get them?

Esperologist

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone and anyone here.

Working at an online Canadian reseller, we recently were contacted by Rayus about possibly stocking their flashlights.

Here is my simple question: Should we consider getting some?

I've not had a lot of time to look at them... and won't still for a bit. My boss has already dismissed them like others that have contacted us.
I check each request and see if there could be merit. From what I see, the C01 since we have flashlights from other brands that are the same size, similar in price and higher output. I still need to compare runtimes and throw.
The PT11, A10 and U10 could be worth it as their output seems competitive with flashlights we carry of similar size. Again, I haven't yet compared runtimes and throw.
Their 3400mAh 18650 battery is another item to consider... wouldn't hurt to have another option but I have yet to check the details on it.

Appearance wise, they look similar to Fenix in design, packaging and marketing... but with a slightly sloppier website.

So, anyone that doesn't have one... have you been considering them?
Anyone that does have them, how do they compare to your other flashlights?
I skimmed over a couple in the reviews section... but I'm still learning to understand the information in reviews. Hey, I only just learned yesterday what 'direct drive' means... well, I had guessed it before, but I confirmed yesterday.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone and anyone here.

Working at an online Canadian reseller, we recently were contacted by Rayus about possibly stocking their flashlights.

Here is my simple question: Should we consider getting some?

I've not had a lot of time to look at them... and won't still for a bit. My boss has already dismissed them like others that have contacted us.
I check each request and see if there could be merit. From what I see, the C01 since we have flashlights from other brands that are the same size, similar in price and higher output. I still need to compare runtimes and throw.
The PT11, A10 and U10 could be worth it as their output seems competitive with flashlights we carry of similar size. Again, I haven't yet compared runtimes and throw.
Their 3400mAh 18650 battery is another item to consider... wouldn't hurt to have another option but I have yet to check the details on it.

Appearance wise, they look similar to Fenix in design, packaging and marketing... but with a slightly sloppier website.

So, anyone that doesn't have one... have you been considering them?
Anyone that does have them, how do they compare to your other flashlights?
I skimmed over a couple in the reviews section... but I'm still learning to understand the information in reviews. Hey, I only just learned yesterday what 'direct drive' means... well, I had guessed it before, but I confirmed yesterday.

No. I would go with Fenix 100% Companies that flat out steal aren't ones you should consider for new endeavors.

Dubois

Enlightened
I have a C01 with a Nichia emitter - nice tint, and even nicer that a manufacturer has listened to a lot of users here and produced a light with an emitter many folk have expressed an interest in.

I don't see any evidence of Rayus "stealing" anyone's designs.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a C01 with a Nichia emitter - nice tint, and even nicer that a manufacturer has listened to a lot of users here and produced a light with an emitter many folk have expressed an interest in.

I don't see any evidence of Rayus "stealing" anyone's designs.

Im glad it worked out for you, sounds like a nice light. But as OP mentioned some Rayus models look almost identical to Fenix. I consider that stealing and uninspiring.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit of free advertising is it.?You inspire loads of confidence in your set up.:eek:

We don't know who he is? He's trying to get more info from his market, but maybe not in the most subtle way. It would probably yield better results if the business part was left out.

Esperologist

Newly Enlightened
We don't know who he is? He's trying to get more info from his market, but maybe not in the most subtle way. It would probably yield better results if the business part was left out.
Yes, I tried to avoid advertising by leaving out the name of where I work and all. Is there an advertising board? * laughs * I think most of the people here already have their sources... though I did find a link to where I work in a thread on here somewhere.
I mentioned that it is for my work place because there is a big difference between if it is worth it for me to get one for myself and where I work committing to stocking a bunch of them in the hopes of selling them. If I didn't mention that it is for where I work, then the implication would have come across as getting a few for personal use.

I figure, if a few people are looking to get one but don't want to order from Rayus directly then it could be worth it for us to get some... but if people are just considering it, not so much worth it.
My boss has already dismissed them, so I'm trying to see if I should try and convince him to give them a try (so much try)... after all, he tried another thinking they would move quick but we are almost a year and not sold half of what we got in our first shipment.

I think Rayus has potential, even if they are too much like Fenix. I just haven't had the time yet to take a good look at the few reviews or their released information.
Am I cheating a bit by looking for advice from more knowledgeable people? Yes.
Will I look at information outside of this thread before making a decision? Yes.
Am I going to let you guys know what we decide? Not likely... this thread will be dead before that happens and I won't post a thread just to say 'we did it' or 'we opted not to'.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want to make money? Get Fenix, Surefire, HDS, and Malkoff lights up there at a reasonable cost. Same thing with CR123's I hear they cost a left cherry to buy.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
That really inspires confidence, a Light store that has not got a Scooby do clue about what to sell.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Rayus C01 fits a niche of users who want a single mode twisty light. I'd say that's a relatively small group of people to start. Additionally, Rayus screwed up the emitter on the neutral version -- it was supposed to be high CRI, but didn't end up being so in the delivered product. I would not stick out my neck for Rayus at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Esperologist

Newly Enlightened
nothing wrong with asking, after all,-this is the best place to ask right?.
Disagree with you but never mind we all have our own beliefs,enjoy your day.
That can either be taken as there is something wrong with asking (was the intention) or this is not the best place to ask...

To some, if you have to ask you should bother.
To others, if you have to ask then you should or you'll never learn.
Personally, I think the only stupid question is the one you think of but never ask.

I mean, right now my work place carries four... well, five brands of flashlights - I guess.
Armytek - from what I've seen, they seem pretty good. Haven't tried them out myself, yet.
EagleTac - seem pretty good too, for different reasons. I've got a few for myself and I am satisfied with them.
Fenix - okay, I'm just annoyed that they market a 400 lumen flashlight as 1000 lumens because of 'burst mode'.
Peak LED Solutions - QTC is cool, but we haven't heard from them about some Logan 17500 issues... and we had to figure out what flashlight was what when we got our first shipment - no labels.
Maratac - We have exactly two flashlights left and we can't get a restock - well, we couldn't back when we were trying to.

I could also go on about how much I dislike the ANSI FL-1 runtime measurement system since our customers expect that turbo 1hr 45min means just that... but a customer discovered that it isn't true. I thought the same thing as our customers until then, so I finally tracked down information on the FL-1 standard and now explain it when a customer asks about the runtimes. I am truly tempted to test true runtimes on some flashlights so I can let customers know when it makes each step down... but that would take a lot of time that my boss won't allow.

Rayus C01 fits a niche of users who want a single mode twisty light. I'd say that's a relatively small group of people to start. Additionally, Rayus screwed up the emitter on the neutral version -- it was supposed to be high CRI, but didn't end up being so in the delivered product. I would not stick out my neck for Rayus at work.
Okay, so their High-CRI has so far proven to be Neutral? I'll keep that in mind.
We've got some old flashlights labeled as being Warm with a T6 LED. I presume it was a labeling error at the factory or someone thought that the T6 was Warm and not Neutral. But then, what do I know... maybe a T6 can get a Warm output - but the output looks Neutral to me when compared to others.

mhanlen

Enlightened
Their High CRI light was supposed to be a 92 CRI light, but turned out it was an 83 CRI Nichia 211. If you Google "Rayus C01 LED Mistake" you can find the answers about it. I personally think it was an honest mistake, and as far as I'm concerned it's still has a pretty high CRI at 83, and it still is a Neutral White Nichia b11 with a very nice tint.