Mars Rover "Spirit" Lands OK

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mars Rover \"Spirit\" Lands OK

I was watching NASA TV a few minutes ago to see that NASA & JPL were successful in landing Spirit on Mars.

It's an amazing accomplishment even in this day & age.

Marty

Tomas

Banned
Re: Mars Rover

Yup!

Especially considering the Martians seem to have shot down several of the more recent units ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

well i might as well tell ya i am indeed on the rover sprit

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im eargerly waiting what they'll find there. It's supposed to be there 90 days or so? Any plans for recovering it?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOO HOO! I'm very pleased for science's and NASA's sake, as well as for the sake of the taxpayers that paid for this.

Ain't technology wonderful???

Tomas

Banned

Just watched the last 'live' briefing from NASA tonight from the JPL RealServer (live.rm) and the technoids there (Steve, Jennifer and Richard) seem VERY happy with the status and condition of the craft and explorer.

One of the interesting 'things' is they seemed to have been stopped in their landing roll by a fairly large rock (73cm or so) that the lander is right up against. What makes it interesting is it appears to be the largest rock visible in the entire area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The landing site DOES appear to be a dry lakebed on first inspection, which may enhance what the rover can do.

(BTW, I'm also impressed with the quality of the 'Real Systems' on-line broadcast quality. I'm getting it as a 256kBs feed, and even full screen it looks quite decent from a 4 to 5 foot viewing distance.)

Go MER!!!

T_sig6.gif