why compare the tt-2 to the e2e?

nitebrite

Enlightened
hi all.
i have read this forum for a long time. i have found it very helpfull to search this forum. i have many lights including an e2e,tt-2, and a2. i finally fealt compelled to post about something!

many times here i have seen folks compare the tt-2 to the e2e. then i found only one post where it said the tt-2 is more comparable in design to the a2. am i the only other one that feals this way? granted, any surefire is going to be better built,nicer, more rugged etc. than it's streamlight counterpart. indeed the counterpart of the tt-2 is the a2, not the e2e. now i must come to the same conclusion that i read in this one other post. that i now can not seem to locate. yes, as with all surefires the a2 is a way nicer light than the tt-2. however, i would think it would only be worth $100 more to flashaholics(myself included) or people that really must depend on it. intrestingly many of the actions that will kill a tt-2 will ALSO kill an a2! that is why i mostly keep the tt-2 handy. if i kill it i will be out less money. the tt-2 has always performed when called upon. i am the first to say the a2 or any surefire is a nicer light but it isnt for everyone. a lot of folks have a hard time spending $25 for a light. so if i were pressed to chose an e2e over a tt-2 i would have a hard time deciding. one is a better light, the other does more. if you bought a tt-2 instead of an a2. don't feal bad. you are more than half way there. the only really really big plus of the a2 is regulation. then again the e2e does not have regulation. the e2e isn't all that expensive here anyways. so i am just thinking get what ever YOU like best. it doesnt always have to be the best. of course if you really love flashlights try to get them all! yes, even the evereadys!

rob.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
nitebrite...I fully concur with what you're saying. I've been looking at the SL TT2L for some time now, and I'm sure that I'll eventually end up with one (actually, I'll probably end up with the Nuwai version because of the 6 or 3 LED choice). The only thing that's stopped me from getting one up to this point is that I'm just not crazy about the switch configuration. There was a time when I was partial to switches located behind the bezel, but over time I've grown more fond of tail switches. Like others here at CPF, I've looked at and drooled over the A2 for quite a while...and for a number of reasons. First of all, according to what I've read from others who have both (TT-2L and A2), the A2 is simply the best in it's class. Granted, the TT-2L does what it was intended to do very well, especially for the $$! But when you throw in regulation, you're putting the A2 in a whole different class. The flip-side is that I'm just not ready to plunk down $145.00 for a light...ANY light! I also don't think that comparing the TT-2L to A2 is a fair comparison. They may have the same intended functions, but we're talking two completely separate classe of lights, and it all comes down to personal preference. The entire line of SL twin Task lights gets a big thumbs-up from me...their cost to performance ratio is second to none! I'll leave the A2 to those who can afford it. I know that I certainly can't!

PJD

nitebrite

Enlightened
any sure fire is nicer than any streamlight. streamlight doesnt have their own answer for every surefire model. as far as the tt2l(which is what i was speaking of here) is concerned i doubt anyone could argue that it is a better VALUE than the a2. no doubt the a2 is a better light.
although when you buy a $145 light you will be very criticle of it. see the post below this one about the a2 beam. so i have to ask myself is a 30% improvement in every category worth a 70% price increase? it is like rubbing alcahol. at the pharmacy 99.1% alchol costs $3. 100% costs $85! for 16 ounces. that was just an analogy of mine. i also like to consider value for my money when i buy something. for special operators there is no question they want the a2. the diehard flashaholic probably also wants it. i have one. but, for all practicle purposes including my own there is not a big difference. the only thing i can really see failing on a streamlight easily is the threads. as long as you screw on carefully they should be fine though. as far as the switch is concerned i actually like the bezel switch for NON tacticle usage. the click through sequence i do not like however. for a general around the house light i actually prefer not to have to palm the light for one hand operation. if you pull the light out on someone like a cop as required by a tail cap clickie you maybe could scare someone. plus the anodizing is more friendly looking than the haIII. albeit not nearly as strong. but who throws their light around in gravel anyways?

i love surefire. its the best imho. but i am here to say do not hesitate to get a tt2l whether you own an a2 or not. and for a first light it comes with one of my highest reccomendations.

rob.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Nitebrite, I bought the TT2 simply because it sounded like the A2 and I was not willing to pay the price for the A2. I do not have the A2 so I can not compare them. I will state that the "adjustable beam" on the TT2 that I have is A joke! I also have the TT3C and once more the "adjustable beam" is A joke! It is possible that I was unlucky with mine and every one else has wonderful results "adjusting" the beams on the ones they have.Adjusting from semi crappy to real dang crappy is not A plus for me. I do like the fact that the TT3C uses C-cells. I own A black one and I have ordered A silver one (TI) I have other streamlights so please do not think I discount them. As far as comparing goes the TT2 is the one to compete with the A2 in my mind. The 50 Lumens rated for the A2 did not impress me and I am A Surefire fan.
Topper

nitebrite

Enlightened
yeah. the adjustment more or less doesnt work. just consider it an 'extra' feature. mine adjusts reasonably tight. the a2 beam is not perfect either. and you would certainly be more criticle of a $145 light. i started this post not to say the tt2l is better than the a2. it is not. no way. but, it is a better value. i just wanted people to know that they should not feal they shortchanged themselves by buying a tt2l. if you get a tt2l and still feal you need a a2 it is because you are a flashaholic or your job requires it not because it will do something more for the average person. i have been collecting for many years even though this was my first post here. i just wanted to help a lot of people that seem to be in this dillema. what i would really do with $145 is: get an e2e and a tt2l and still have enough money left over for a spyder or something! none of them are junk.

rob.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the TTL2 for quite awhile, and then my wife bought me(or let me buy rather) the A2 for Christmas. The reason to compare them is the dual light. I would have easily traded most of the other lights I have for another A2. It is not recognized as tactical light, but I won't hesitate to use it to clear a building, as the hot spot is much better, and the throw puts the TTL2 to shame. This is no degradation to SL quality as I own several SL's and consider the quality to be that of SF's in many respects. I mean quality to me is defined, as good value for the price. I can say that about both of them, even though SF leaves me reeling from sticker shock when I buy one. But buy them I will, if it is what I need.

Velcro

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nitebrite said:
any sure fire is nicer than any streamlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a personal preference thing.

[ QUOTE ]
streamlight doesnt have their own answer for every surefire model.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Surefire doesn't have an answer to every Streamlight.

yclo

Flashaholic*
I believe they compare more in terms of Ford vs Ferrari. Both has four wheels, will take you from point A to B. Are the parts in a Ferrari that much better than the ones in a Ford? Probably not enough to justify the cost, however there is a reason for it to be more expensive.

I've had an A2 in my possesion before, and I'm ashamed as a flashaholic that I haven't had both.

-YC

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found it easy to get caught up in the flashaholic mode, and want almost every flashlight I see recommended. But the fact is that I do not use a flashlight every day, and do not need more than a Mag AA more than once a month, if that often.

I would not even consider paying $100 for a flashlight. I would only do that if I had a special need, and the one I needed sold for that and there was not a reasonable alternative.

Except for the size, there is nothing that I do that requires more than a 2C Mag Light. For smaller lights, the AA plastic lights that are readily available from Walmart does everything else I need to do.

I do have a E2e, TT1L, T2L, E1e, and a PM6 in addition to my Mag lights. I don't need all those, but like most here, I just wanted to fool with them.
I think that the TT2L or the TT1L will be my primary carry light. I do wish it had a tail switch in addition to the current switch so that I could leave it in one mode and switch it on and off without going through the entire sequence.

Things such as imperfect centers do not bother me. I mostly just want to see what I need to see at night, and all the lights I have, new and old, cheap and expensive, do that.

So even though the SF A2 is a very nice light, there is no way that I would pay the price for it.

Jerry

Geode

Enlightened
I own and like both the TT2L and the A2. Each is an excellent light for the price. The A2 is way easier to carry for me because of the slimmer profile, lighter weight, and the clip. The TT2L is cool because the tail allows it to stand up, and because the incandescent run time is nice and long.

The TT2L is a glove compartment light/spare light, and the A2 is for backpack/jacket carry. If I had to sell one light, it would be the A2 because I could buy a two or three streamlights with the proceeds.

nitebrite

Enlightened
i am glad to hear all the opinions on this. i brought this up because it didnt really seem to have been discussed before. i thought it was better to compare similar lights. the a2 and tt2l. than compare the a2 to the e2e which are really different animals. the a2 and the tt2l are similar in the fact that they both offer two lights. neither is perfect. i couldnt really say one is better than the other either. i like having them both.

rob.