ASP: Taclite vs Triad

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

The ASP Taclite has gotten a lot of praise on this forum for having great throw (and, I assume, a reasonable beam pattern). Does the ASP Triad have the same performance characteristics? I notice the Triad is adjustable spot-to-flood, which usually bodes ill for beam quality.

Thanks,

Joe

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Joe,

I haven't tested the Triad model so my comments about it have been minimal if any. The reflector does not seem to have the depth of the Taclite's, therefore it does not have the throw of the latter.

Incidentally, the Taclight does adjust from spot to flood but not as readily as the Triad's external mechanism. The Taclite's entire lamp assembly will need to be removed for the adjustment to be performed. Once set, it does not inadvertently adjust when holstered or placed in a pocket.

I have been using the Taclite since 1997. My personal unit now carries the teardrop-shaped bulb and is adjusted to a very tight spot.

The projected spot is approximately 12 inches in diameter at 21 feet. The spot is not one that Flashaholics would consider optimal. It contains artifacts due to the deep mirrored aluminum reflector used. This is not an issue with me. At distance and when actually ID'ing a target, I don't pay attention to the beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks KT. I'm just thinking about possible Surefire replacements. I'm getting a little fed up with lamp fragility. I know we think it's a solved issue, but I keep hearing from my buddies that a lamp died quickly, or someone dropped their light and the bulb blew. I recently had a lamp die after one and a half sets of batteries. Add to that the enormous cost of lamp replacement, and you can see why I'm getting fed up. You don't hear about this with PT M6s or ASP lights, but that could be because there's so fewer of them out there, and because people are less apt to complain about a bulb that only costs $10.

When you say the Taclite's beam isn't flashaholic-optimal, how bad is it? As bad as a maglite on tights beam? Artifacts are one thing, black holes and swirls are another altogether.

Joe

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
...When you say the Taclite's beam isn't flashaholic-optimal, how bad is it? As bad as a maglite on tights beam? Artifacts are one thing, black holes and swirls are another altogether.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe,

It may take a minute or two of concentration to get the beam adjusted to the best focus but I assure you that it's well worth it. Now that it's focused and the bezel replaced it will stay in that focus indefinitely. That's why I refer to it as "focus and forget.

The Taclite beam will never be as perfect as that from a textured reflector, but that has little if any real world significance, and if it's properly adjusted there will be no black hole. As you know it's one of the three longest throwing 2x123 lights. Here's a review that features the PM6 but includes a comparison with the Taclite and TACM III.

THE THREE LONGEST THROWING 2x123 LIGHTS

The Taclite is a great light, easily the most refined and elegant of the three super 2x123s, and KT is a real authority on its professional use. NTL, I'm very impressed by the PM6 despite its relative crudeness and somewhat oversized heaviness. If the Taclite with internal focus was not available I'd choose the PM6 over the external focus Triad. That's just my opinion but I would definitely rate it as a "Best Buy".

Brightnorm

alberto

Enlightened
I've had a Triad for a number of months and like it, although there is nothing particularly noteworthy about it. It has the external focusing mechanism (like a MagLite) which has the usual artifacts.

It has excellent quality, feels good with it's soft grip, and the clicky tail switch is, in my opinion, much superior to Surefire's.

However, for that class of light, I prefer the much less expensive Dorcy Spyder, which I have four of. The Triad is very similar to the more popular, but lesser quality, Pelican PM6.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Spyder is a great light for the price, although for me, the bic pen type switch is unacceptable even for routine EDC.

Sounds like if I want to move away from SF, and still ensure as much quality as possible, Taclite is a better answer than the Triad.

Ah, one more question! Does anyone know if the Triad accessories (switches,etc.) also work on the Taclite? I have a friend who is a knife dealer who can get me Triads and accessories cheap (but not Taclites), which is why the Triad interested me originallyl.

Thanks all!

Joe

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm, thanks, I had actually searched out your post (I remembered you'd done a comparison way back when). Hence my concern about Triad vs Taclite!

Joe

moraino

Enlightened
My humble experience, both are exceptional quality and built like a tank. Both reflector have the same depth, though one is internally focused, and the same throw.

The ability of throw depends on the bulb you choose and the quality of that bulb.

Some may like the convenience of the adjustable focus of Triad but the bulb socket is just the plug-in type meaning if the hole is large then the bulb may come loose or not centered. To solve it one has to disassemble the head and crimp the pin socket a bit tighter just to make sure the bulb is grabbed properly. It's a pain to do it.

The Taclite bulb is WRAPPED by the assembly so it's VERY secure and cusioned. I can't get it to come loose if I swing the light heavily or dropped it.

The accessaries are common to both.

One more thing, the thread of the Triad at the switch and the body are insulated so by twisting the switch a bit off will open the circuit thus preventing the switch from been activated by accident. My Taclite is the early model and doesn't have the thread insulated so even not totally screwed in it still can switch on. One thing to remember.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
moraino said:
...One more thing, the thread of the Triad at the switch and the body are insulated so by twisting the switch a bit off will open the circuit thus preventing the switch from been activated by accident. My Taclite is the early model and doesn't have the thread insulated so even not totally screwed in it still can switch on. One thing to remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

A slight cc turn of the Taclite's bezel will provide secure lockout.

Brightnorm

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone say what the output is in lumens for the Triad-III? I'm looking to add on as a "glovebox" unit.

Chiphead