Mag 2d, 2x26650, and borofloat. Any suggestions???

Daniel828

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new here and posted in newbie section already.
This all started with a simple search for a repalcement lens for a very old maglite 2d.
After looking around here, I'm more confused and overwhelmed. I haven't stopped searching for the last 2 days. I've been obsessing on a mod for this light. I thought I wanted to go ROP route and I started ordering parts ie borofloat, and 26650's. But I soon realized that pelican 3954 bulbs are hard to find as is the metal reflector. So, what direction can I take this with the parts I have so far? I don't want to do a simple drop in, and i don't think I want to go an incandescent route (although an ROP on my build list might be a prerequisite lol)
many thanks
Dan

darkknightlight

Enlightened
The easiest would probably be to pick up one each of the new Maglite bipin bulbs; a six cell and a 5 cell. The 6 cell bulb will run at spec, the 5 cell bulb will be over driven and much brighter. What 26650s did you order?

Daniel828

Newly Enlightened
Hi darknightlight
the batts are King Kong 4000mah unprotected from mountain electronics
ill be the only one using the light, and I have some experience with lipo in the rc car world.
and there wasn't any protected 26650 available.
thanks for response

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Nice, I've heard those are some good batteries. If you decide to go the route I suggested be sure to check your battery voltages fairly often. Since they are unprotected you could potentially draw them down to too low a voltage. Particularly on the five cell bulb as it will still be operating at spec when the batteries are dead. Having said that, currently my most used incan setup is the new 5 cell Maglite bulb on two lithium cells. It's a fantastic white light. If you want to go led, the easiest thing to do would probably be to pick up a Maglite drop in from Malkoff devices. Just make sure its the one that can run on two lithium cells. After that all you'd have to do is cut the cam off your stock Maglite reflector. Malkoff has instructions on his website. Good luck!

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I think at least someone here on cpf should have a few 3854 bulbs lying around (-> marketplace). Aluminium reflectors are easy to get, too (Kaidomain).
The 5 cell bulb is a good low budget option (if you can get the bulb for a good price - I don't know where you live).
4 cell might be possible, too, but only with soft start circuit and maybe not freshly charged cells (it works with 6x D NiMH + soft start, so 2 26650s should work, too).
Another cheap way would be to use a 6 V bi-pin bulb with a life rating >500 h and overdrive it (you need to get a bi-pin socket in your Mag).
Good luck :)

Daniel828

Newly Enlightened
The dark side is strong in this post. Lol
dark laser, I live in New Jersey USA. I'll have to update my profile.
I just bought the 5 cell bulb kit on ebay last night, about $6 from ebay.

darknightlight, you got me thinking now. Is there a low volt cutoff board that can be installed?
i was looking at malkoff units,very cool. But not the direction I want to go right now. I see that the Makoff site mentions something about a C or a D in the serial number. My light is old, maybe 20 years? The serial number is 21841860. I can't post pics yet, otherwise I just would've snapped a pic of it.
thanks for your help guys
dan

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Here is a protection circuit module for 2 li-ion cells, this might fit into the free space beside your batteries (do NOT solder to the batteries if you don't have experience - I'd solder the board into the light and use some wires). I think you will find more boards like this if you search for it. Or maybe someone else has found a better one. Easiest way is still to measure the cells frequently, which is recommended or at least useful even if you'd have a protection circuit already.

If your Mag is an old one (having a serial number that starts without a "D"), it has a wider inner diameter where the drop-in will fit and this will be somewhat counterproductive for heat transfer :)

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Daniel,

I'm glad we've got your wheels turning! I think Dark Laser's got a good product linked for you, so long as you don't expect to exceed a 3 amp output. That precludes you from using the 3854 hi bulb, but would allow you to use the standard Maglite bulbs which draw around an amp apiece. Another bulb to consider, that I think is often overlooked, is the magcharger bulb. If you can regulate it's voltage to around 6.8 to7 volts, it produces a nice white light that throws really well with the correct reflector placement.

Edit: the above linked protection circuit looks like it would only allow you to use a hobby charger to charge your battery pack. Separating the cells to recharge them individually would require un-welding the protection circuit (assuming I'm reading things correctly)

Last edited:

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
My idea was to connect the circuit to the Mag's switch and the spring and then just drop the batteries in (meaning that while charging, the cells are unprotected - but this is OK). No soldering to the batteries (if this doesn't work, please tell us).

Another thing has come to my mind just now - a hotwire regulator! This will eliminate all the issues with protection and voltage.
Well, you coud still give the batteries away and use LiFePO4s instead, which will work great with all 6 V bi-pin bulbs (such as the MagCharger bulb, which is an excellent recommendation, darkknightlight :twothumbs) and will have no issues with overdischarging (if you don't overdo). Just kidding, you already have your batteries and that's alright ;).

Daniel828

Newly Enlightened
So I just put everything together. Boro lens, 2x26650, stock reflector which is in bad shape, and a 5 cell maglite xenon bi pin upgrade in a 2D mag. It's ok , I guess I was hoping for something more. I don't know, I'm very new at this so I don't know what I was expecting ? The terralux drop in for my AA mini mag was, to me I thought, impressive. But back to the 2d, there was a donut hole that I couldn't get rid of. I cleared coated the crappy reflector which helped a lot. I think I'll leave this as is, leave the terralux in the AA mini mag, and I have one more mini mag that Id like to do a match mod to. Or is there a better up to date for mod for an old incan mini?
Thanks for all your help and suggestion
Dan

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
It would be a lot more impressive if the reflector was in a good shape ;)
The reflector is the key to a good efficency and throw; and the stock Mag bulbs can achieve quite reasonable lux numbers when overdriven (however, I speak of the "old", non-bi-pin bulbs, though the bi-pins shouldn't be bad, either).

Sometimes the donut is inevitable, depending on the bulb, but sometimes you can fine-adjust the beam a bit by moving the bulb to the side (I do this with my incan bi-pin light) or by turning the bezel instead of the whole head.

Regarding the Minimag, maybe someone else can give a recommendation.

Daniel828

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for input dark laser. I ordered a new stock mag lite reflector. Still waiting for it.

Daniel828

Newly Enlightened
Well, it failed!! 2x26650's hot off the charger are too much for a mag 5 cell bulb in a 2d light.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Really? I've run mine from Samsung 20r as well as Sony 26650vt and its been fine. I mean bulb life is certainly less than running the six cell bulb instead, but I've never had one instaflash. I'm sorry!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it failed!! 2x26650's hot off the charger are too much for a mag 5 cell bulb in a 2d light.
Really? I've run mine from Samsung 20r as well as Sony 26650vt and its been fine.
A) Not all 2D M*gs have same total resistance in the system.
B) Not all 26650 cells have exact same voltage under certain load.
C) Not all chargers terminate at exact same voltage.
D) Not all 5 cells can tolerate same voltage.

For above reasons, I never recommend any system for newbies (unenlightened) members which is too risky.

Daniel828

Newly Enlightened
This is a humbling excercise. I try to read as much as I can on here, and I sometimes get more confused lol.
Fivemega, thank you for the reply. So, now I have a 2d, 2 x 26650, a maglite bi pin adapter ( is it plastic?) borofloat lens.
Where could I take this? Or is there a nice led recipe for this? I've searched but like I said it gets more confusing, I guess because some info is a few years old and isn't relevent today? But any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
dan

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried another bulb? Surely one failure doesn't mean it's a complex loss.

Next up you could try some part charged batteries and see how it does or attempt to add some resistance to make it kinder on the bulb. Or try a 6D bulb and see how you like the performance.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
If you're confident 5 cell bulbs will continue to pop, I'd give the 6 cell bulb a go. Keep in mind it will only be about 150 lumens though. You could also try the streamlight tl-3 bulb. It should be brighter, it pulls about 1.3 amps.

Daniel828

Newly Enlightened
I just realized I'm leaving out much info here. I actually had two charges thru this light. Last night I figured I'll put the batts on charge because I live in nj and with snow approaching, was thinking let me get these charged just in case. I tested the light after they finished charging and that's when it flashed. I didn't know the state of charge before charging. The batteries are 1) gold 26650 unprotected and one black 26650 unprotected button top. Both are 4000 mah. The charger is an xtar.
Im gonna order another 5 cell bulb, a 6 cell bulb and try the tl-3 bulb too. I'm totally open to expiermemting here. This is just an old maglite 2d that I just want to have fun with.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please keep in mind that Streamlight TL-3 bulb is a G2 bi-pin bulb and you should slightly open up the pins in order to fit in plastic socket. This is a good choice for 2x26650 set up as long as voltage of each cell (no load) is maximum of 4.2 volts or less.
If you decide to go with more output bulb, then you will need ceramic socket and aluminum reflector.

For LED conversion, you can google search
3XML M*g C & D drop in at top left side of this page.