How do you get epoxy off?

G Pilot

Enlightened
I used some no name clear epoxy and it ran all over my BB700. Now that it is dry I tried chipping a little off but that did not work. Is there a solvent? Will I damage my BB?
Thanks

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it won't hurt the BB at all. As long as it's not covering any electrical contacts (like for battery +), just leave well enough alone. Prying may result in damage by the epoxy pulling components off the board with it.

G Pilot

Enlightened
Thanks Kevin.....but what if one of the contact points is full of epoxy?
BTW I'll be sending paypal very shortly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You can use a dremel to carefully remove small amounts of epoxy from the contacts. With any luck there was a lubricant or coating on the contact that will make it easier (the final bit may chip off).

Some epoxys soften with heat. If I were you I'd mix some more epoxy, apply it to old circuit boards that you don't need (a dead radio or power supply, for instance) and practice with that first.

Daniel

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you put the badboy in an oven and get it up to 170F, The epoxy should be much softer and it may pe possible to use a sharp push pin to pick at and peal away the epoxy in the areas needed. The HDT of most common epoxies is below 170F. Additionally, most epoxies, even the rapid cure, continue to cure for typically up to 7 days before ultimate tensile strength is reached. Sooner is better than later on any attempt at removal.

G Pilot

Enlightened
Good idea McGizmo, the epoxy I used was made by 3M (that is the name) and putting it up 190 degrees in the oven made it soft enough to pick away.
Thanks