New Surefire X Series Tailcap Redesign

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased ( Yes SF is now selling Tailcaps $10, if you want a clicky / twisty instead ) an extra tailcap for a P3X.

I noticed something REALLY interesting. The inner thin aluminum ring has now been replaced with a thick plastic one. This could all be in my head but the switch actually feels a bit more confident in its click... if that makes sense.

Thoughts?

NEWSFTAIL_zps04747965.jpg

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also interesting to note, the epoxy seems to be extremely well placed as if they refined the process. It is barley noticeable and perfectly applied deep in the switch.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't help about original question but... where exactly can that $10 tailcap be purchased ???

EDIT:

Just want to reaffirm as I just talked with Surefire: Call Tech Support if you want to order a tailcap.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the same thing with the switch when I bought my P3X a little over a year ago. All of my 2 cell lights have the metal collar like you described but I didn't really notice anything different about their operation (although admittedly I wasn't looking for any differences).

I have purchased a 6PX and Z2X since that time and they still had the metal collar. This made me think that the different tailcap was for the P3X only but perhaps my later purchases were just old stock that did not have the different tailcap switch yet. If anyone has picked up a 6PX/G2X/Z2X/P2X recently I would be curious to hear how theirs is set up.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the same thing with the switch when I bought my P3X a little over a year ago. All of my 2 cell lights have the metal collar like you described but I didn't really notice anything different about their operation (although admittedly I wasn't looking for any differences).

I have purchased a 6PX and Z2X since that time and they still had the metal collar. This made me think that the different tailcap was for the P3X only but perhaps my later purchases were just old stock that did not have the different tailcap switch yet. If anyone has picked up a 6PX/G2X/Z2X/P2X recently I would be curious to hear how theirs is set up.

Same here, the ones I had also thin metal collar. Wondering what other people got...

Thanks for your input!

Andrew LB

Newly Enlightened
From my experience with surefire they're pretty good about replacement parts for their flashlights. I had an issue with the tail On my E2D LED defender and they sent me a new one no questions asked even though the light was out of warranty.
And on another occasion I will go down to sure fire which is not far from my house and ask them if I can purchase some new seals and a tail cap for my surefire 6P, and I didn't have a problem with that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience with surefire they're pretty good about replacement parts for their flashlights. I had an issue with the tail On my E2D LED defender and they sent me a new one no questions asked even though the light was out of warranty.
And on another occasion I will go down to sure fire which is not far from my house and ask them if I can purchase some new seals and a tail cap for my surefire 6P, and I didn't have a problem with that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Absolutely. My experience has been the same. But you now have the option to purchase additional switches. If a given switch fails they still cover it. They are just offering more options.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
If anyone has picked up a 6PX/G2X/Z2X/P2X recently I would be curious to hear how theirs is set up.

My PR1 and a Z59 tail cap, both purchased in December, have this new design. Also of interest is the spring itself - on both the PR1 and Z59, the end of the last coil is "tucked in" so it does not contact/scratch the battery. Looks like SF is listening!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
My PR1 and a Z59 tail cap, both purchased in December, have this new design. Also of interest is the spring itself - on both the PR1 and Z59, the end of the last coil is "tucked in" so it does not contact/scratch the battery. Looks like SF is listening!

1 = :thumbsup:

2 = :eek: :thumbsup: :eek:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to reaffirm as I just talked with Surefire: Call Tech Support if you want to order a tailcap.

This is the current switch design, they test them into the thousands of clicks.... Not only for durability but for inconsistencies in mode switching as well.