Xeno F42 XPG2

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen updated versions on ebay of the F42 that now have a double upgrade from the original XPG to XPG2 and 2.2A driver like the XML2.
Has anyone purchased one of these and are the drivers actually the 2.2A version?
I ask because I bought an XML2 a while ago and it was reasonably impressive and beat most lights in it's class as it should with a bigger than average reflector but then I got bored and swapped out the XML2 for an XPG2 and wow can this thing throw.
I'm sure that if it is the same specs as mine that there would be more talk about them because the performance for a non modified light at the price point it's at with it's build quality is awesome.
To give you an idea of the cd it's putting out I posted elsewhere that it easily beats my Klarus XT30 (by far not the best thrower in it's class I know) and beats the pants of most small throwers of a similar size.
I know 2.2A is over driving the LED but as far as I know the Armytek Predator is over driven too but I'm sure the F42 would clean it up easily.
It's really worth a look so I wanted to share it with you guys and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has bought the stock XPG2, 2.2A.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.2 amps is not even close to over driving an xpg2 or xml2. I have modded xpg2 lights doing 5 amps and xml2 lights doing 7.5amps with 0 reliability issues. 2.2 amps is under driven imo. The only thing that suffers is run time which is why you dont see many factory lights driving that much but i see know reason why they cant jump to 3.5-4 amps.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.2 amps is not even close to over driving an xpg2 or xml2. I have modded xpg2 lights doing 5 amps and xml2 lights doing 7.5amps with 0 reliability issues. 2.2 amps is under driven imo. The only thing that suffers is run time which is why you dont see many factory lights driving that much but i see know reason why they cant jump to 3.5-4 amps.

XPG2 are rated at 1.5A according to Cree and 3A for XML2.
I am aware that these LED's can be driven much harder and while they generally maintain reliability they are still over driven once above the stated spec.
Also pushing an XPG2 to 5A would suffer from diminished returns no doubt along with a shorter life span.
Anyway that is beside the point of my post. What I was expressing is that the F42 under the stated configuration is an excellent light that out performs many stock lights from the quality Chinese manufacturers and for it's price and build quality is right up there.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just find it amazing that these leds can take so much more then the spec sheet says. you also cant beat the price of these leds. i bought a dedome direct drive(5 amps) eagle eye X6 with xpg2 from vinh and it puts out 850 otf lumens and over 100kcd of throw which is staggering for a light this small. its a bit smaller then the F42. modded lights have spoiled me i must admit.

btw i have always wanted a F42 as i like its style. it has a very busy look to it

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I have the G42, might have to investigate a new emitter for it now! :whistle:

I think the Xeno lights are under-rated. Excellent machining, decent anodising and tailcaps that don't undo the switch retaining ring (I'm looking at you, Fenix etc).

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alex, I hear you about modded lights and cranking up the power compared to stock. The F42 is definitely a nice light as far as stock goes and given a copper sink pad and copper pill it'd probably take to 5A too but as it stands it's aluminium to aluminium.
Gravelmonkey, I have to agree with you on Xeno. The G42 is even a bit fancier than the F42 but double the price for the upgrades, very nice light.
They are really easy to take apart if you get keen.
Unscrew the bezel, remove bezel, lens, oring, reflector, use needle nose pliers to unscrew the pill clockwise.
The star (20mm) sits in the pill with a bit of thermal paste so it's easy to remove, I used artic alumina when replacing the star.
It's a very easily accessible design which is nice.
Trying to keep this thread about stock lights and not modding but thought I'd put in the above info to help Gravelmonkey should they choose to disassemble their light.

Last edited: