New to modifying Surefire flashlights

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I have a number of Surefire lights and I am just getting into the modifications available for them. I am aware of the Malkoff drop ins but that is about as far as my knowledge goes.

Here are some of the hosts I have available:
- Old G2 LED
- Old 6P LED
- P2X Fury
- P3X Fury
- M3LT

Some things I may be interested in:
- Higher output on the old G2/6P (Malkoff I'm assuming is the best option)
- 18650 operation for any/all of them
- Smaller head for the M3LT
- 2x 18650 modification to make one into a long run time light?

Any help on where to start would be appreciated. I've been to a few of the popular mod/parts sites but the acronyms and what not are confusing to me.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Check the 6PX/G2X thread on what can be done to your X series lights, assuming you can remove your heads. I've posted pics of my modded 6PX. Also a modder by the username Tana is running an interest thread to mod the stock X heads as well. For the G2 I'd go w/ a Malkoff. For the 6P you can pretty much do anything, as long as you don't have the LED module that's built into the head. Personally, I wouldn't mod the M3LT, it will void the Surefire warranty.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, some how I missed this thread a few days ago. Sorry you got such a weak response for members.

G2: Keep in mind you don't want to make that G2 a flamethrower, either go for a high CRI drop in with decent lumen, or a low lumen long run time rig. Too much heat can burn up the led. Not enough aluminum to properly discharge the heat.

FURY: I have some but haven't done much with them. I saw where guys were boring them out to accept 18650 cells, also changing the tail caps out with something like a Triad. I don't mess much with mine, Too busy with easier lights. My Fury's are retired to the kitchen cabinet for wife & kid use. No matter what, they work and work well. Cheap enough that if the kids leave it outside or whatever it doesn't matter. lol

6PX: Like flashlight chronic said, go Tana or Malkoff, or maybe Sportac?, skys the limit.

Good luck

M3LT: Tana & Fivemega also make drop ins. But your fun just about ends there with that light. Other than some other lego?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 G2 Nitrolon incandescents (green and black), and a 6P. The 6P and one of the G2 Nitrolons (black) got a Malkoff M61LL. If they sold the M61LLL, I'd have been all over those. So the remaining green incandescent now has two spare bulbs, so I got that going for me..., which is nice. .... :D

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, your wallet will hate me, but I was going to mention Oveready. They have quite a lot of stuff you can do to Surefires. Their customer service is excellent.

They have stuff that may need a certain battery type, so ask questions before you buy.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bored out my P2X Fury with sand paper taped to a drill bit and it worked fine, I can now use it with a Nitecore 18650 3400mah battery which lasts longer that two CR123's.

You can also bore the 6P the same way.

Search 'How to Convert Surefire 6P to 18650 battery' on YouTube.

You can't bore the G2 because the metal insert is too thin, if you want to use a rechargeable with it then a KEEPPOWER 16650 2000mah is a good choice.

For the 6P check out the Eagletac Sportac drop-ins that they have just released with dual outputs, they will be too powerful for the G3 body so consider a Malkoff L or LL.

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
If you can arrange to get the 6P bored, Oveready (and others) have 18650 extenders which will allow you to run the 6P as 1x18650 or 2x18650 when you feel the need.

All my 6P and C2 lights are bored and I've got mix of extenders allowing for various cell combinations (i.e. 9P or 12P). I have to say that for day to day use I rarely use the extenders though, but I like having them around.

The safest li-ion powered light configuration is always a 1x cell light. You can make multi-cell lights safe by purchasing good cells from the start and taking just a little bit of care to match cells properly. I can do that - I've got a digital multi-meter and a capable cell analysis workstation, but I still prefer running lights in 1x18650 mode for the additional simplicity that use case brings. When I do run the lights in 2x18650 (or other cell size combos) out comes the DMM.

Most of my SureFire lights (and Malkoff bodies too of course) have Malkoff drop ins in them - a variety of different output levels or optics (the old M60) or colour temperature. There are some very cool drop-ins available from others like the multi LED TorchLab and such but my needs are fairly pedestrian. I must say I've been spoiled by Malkoff and just love fully potted LED modules encased in a lot of heavy brass. :)

Last edited:

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. The G2's have the old 80 lumen SF LED module which already runs for around 10 hrs. I don't think a low low module is going to provide much benefit for those. I'll just keep them as general purpose lights around the home.

The 6P I think is going to get an M61 drop in and bored for 18650. 325 lumens for 5-6 hours sounds great. Thanks guys.

tandem

Enlightened
You won't get 325 for 5-6 hours, but you will get high output without discerning the drop off much for at least 1.5 - 2 hours depending on what cell you feed it followed by another 1-2 hours of slow decline. Somewhere around there you'd probably want to swap cells. I've never drained my cells to the point of tripping the protection circuit in them.

If I recall correctly the M61 draws about 850mA in a one-cell light configuration (650mA in a two-cell light). This roughly done (I nudged the camera more than once) animation was done in 2010 with an AW 2900 mAh cell. Good cells based on the current Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh will give you that much more.

malkoff-m61-runtime.gif

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
You won't get 325 for 5-6 hours, but you will get high output without discerning the drop off much for at least 1.5 - 2 hours depending on what cell you feed it followed by another 1-2 hours of slow decline. Somewhere around there you'd probably want to swap cells. I've never drained my cells to the point of tripping the protection circuit in them.

If I recall correctly the M61 draws about 850mA in a one-cell light configuration (650mA in a two-cell light). This roughly done (I nudged the camera more than once) animation was done in 2010 with an AW 2900 mAh cell. Good cells based on the current Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh will give you that much more.

malkoff-m61-runtime.gif
The numbers I quoted were from Malkoff using a 3400mah 18650. Are they exaggerated?

tandem

Enlightened
Do you have a link to the Malkoff estimate? Back when I shot that 2900mAh powered animation a real 3400mAh Panasonic cell simply didn't exist.

No, I don't think you'd find anyone that ever accuses Malkoff of exaggeration. I'm being very conservative and remember, it's a five year old cell technology of lower capacity. That said, the M61 drop-ins are designed to run regulated at 3.4 volts and above; below it will drop out of regulation and run in direct drive mode.

You can compare the older AW 2900(Black) and newer Keeppower 3400(Black) cells here:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Notice the newer cells maintain a higher voltage throughout the entire discharge at 0.5A and 1.0A - you'll get brighter output for longer with them. Below 3.4V you won't get full output.

Edit: Were you looking at this chart on the Malkoff site: http://www.malkoffdevices.com/flashlight-comparison-chart

the M61 with 2xCR123 offers a 3 hour runtime estimate "until dead". In a 1x18650 configuration you'll get 3 hours but it won't all be at max, regulated, output, but still will be > 200L for the majority of the runtime (my guestimate only).

The 5 hour estimate in that chart was for the M61L (175 lumen output).

Last edited:

TFin04

Newly Enlightened
My mistake, I mistook his "total run time" as a quote for full power. He quoted me 2.5-3hrs at full power with another 2.5-3hr taper. It was via email.

My apologies to Gene for the misunderstanding.