MiniMag Mod Suggestions

M

Maggster

Hey there Guys,

I've been scouring the forum the last couple of days to get info on what I should get to mod my mini mag(Just got my account today).

I've come across a lot of different options, from what I could buy as of today on The Sandwich shoppe or that is anywhere else what would you guys suggest I do to get the best out of the mag?

Money isn't really an object, and I want to keep the mag the same size and use energizer lithium, I also want it to be bright as possible, yet still not KILL the battery in 50 min or less.

Any /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif would be greatly appreciated

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
IMHO The Sandwich Shoppe is the place to go for the best & brightest MiniMag upgrades!!!!!
My favorite MiniMag Mods are the Sandwiches & the Opalec NewBeam. The Sandwiches are brighter and runtime depends on which one you use. See the Reviews section for runtimes. The NewBeam uses 3 LEDs & runs for 8-10 hours with constant brightness. For either I recommend you get the Kroll switch & a Mineral Glass Lens from The Sandwich Shoppe. I prefer the Sandwiches because they are much brighter, but I recommend you buy both. These will run on any AA battery(Alkaline, Lithium, NiMH). The BadBoys & the NewBeam will not be brighter with Lithium batteries nor will they be dimmer with NiMH. The MadMax will start out brighter with Lithium batteries because of their higher voltage. I only use Lithium batteries to reduce weight, for cold weather or for long term storage. I have MM+Q3s & NewBeams with Lithium batteries in both of our cars. Most of the MiniMags with Sandwiches & NewBeams that I gave to the family got Alkaline. The ones we use around the house get NiMH. Here is a link to the NewBeam at PocketLights
http://www.pocketlights.com/opalec.asp

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
"As bright as possible" is an elusive objective /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Madmax+q3 is from The Sandwich Shoppe will give you a much brighter beam than you get with the opalec, but it will eat the batteries quicker. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you will get a couple hours from a Madmax+q3 sandwich with 2 AA cells.

Daniel

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I think the MadMax Plus has about 1 hour & 15 minutes runtime.
BadBoy 400 = 2 hours
BadBoy 500 = 1.5 hours
MadMax = 1.5 hours
I have made up about 30 to 40 MiniMags with Sandwiches in most of the ones that have been available. The brightest Sandwiches that I have seen are the BadBoy 750 Lux3 T. These are not at the Shoppe now as they were a special run. I think Wayne might make more Lux3 sandwiches in the future, but I don't know when. IMHO any & all of his Sandwiches are much better than the stock MiniMag.

M

Maggster

At the sandwich shoppe right now they have the madmax+ cyan is this brighter then a white madmax, also all I could find for the lens is a domed mineral glass for $6 is this the same thing as what you were suggesting Hoghead?

thnx for the replys guys, keep um coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I was referring to the Mineral Glass that is $1.50. I think they are out of stock. The $6 domed mineral glass is even nicer & will work just fine. There is also a Saphire Crystal lens for $20 that is even more scratch resistance, but I think most of us get the one for $1.50.
Of the Sandwiches available I recommend the MM Q2 because white is generally more useful. The "2" in Q2 means that the color might have some yellow or green tint to the white light. Unless you want a CYAN. The colored Luxeons have more artifacts & the white have smoother beams. If you think you would have any use for a task light the McFlood makes a very nice smooth beam (with white Luxeons)& you can change back & forth between the NX-05 & the McFlood. The McFlood seems less bright because the photons are spread out more, but it works great for some things. Link to McFlood
http://secure3.dnsaction.com/~anlighte/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=76&osCsid=5e845342912661d2101982995b91683a

M

Maggster

Thnx thats the info that I needed..

Would you suggest I wait until a different batch of sandwiches come in or just go ahead and order the $40 MM's? As the new batches may not offer much of a difference with the current models..

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I think once you see how bright they are & how nice the beams are compared to a stock MiniMag you will want more than one. I prefer the high domes(none available now), but I still use the low domes too. The $40 is a good price. You might want to email or PM dat2zip (Wayne Y). at The Sandwich Shoppe and see if you can get a 1 watt high dome or a Lux3 custom made. I think they were $55-$60. I think you would like the MM Q2 as long as you understand there will be some color tint in the beam when shined on a white wall. I don't think the tint matters in actual use.