Cancer in California

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Garmin 2610 box has the now ubiquitous California cancer warning on it;
warning box panel
040104-garmin2610thm.jpg

"This product, its packaging and its comonents contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm."
Garmin Proposition 65

How useful are these warnings when they've become diluted by the multitude of dire cautions from seemingly innocuous products? The guideline of having to prove it causes no more than one additional case of cancer in 100,000 individuals, in a 70 year lifespan, is probably why most companies just choose to put the warning on their product labeling instead of going through the process to prove it's "safe".
Has it become just joke-fodder nowadays?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wingerr,

Many places of business and retail stores now have the cancer warning on the door of entry. So, I guess you can walk up to a clerk and ask for the cancer isle? I think I stated it somewhere here some time ago, I am expecting some notification to be stated some where to the nature of: "Caution: The Surgeon General has determined that living causes death; proceed with caution. "

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[quote "Caution: The Surgeon General has determined that living causes death; proceed with caution."

[/ QUOTE ]

Only one sure solution for that- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
They have this cancer warning on Christmas lights now. Something about the wires, and that you're now supposed to wash up after hanging the Christmas lights.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to go eat some cancer......oh! I mean lunch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Do you think that "they" are afraid and/or trying to prevent widespread asbestos type lawsuits in the future?

Not being a "radical tree-hugger", though being a person of common sense and caution...I believe that our modern lifestyle, pleasures, luxuries, etc...are a result of our developed/developing technology - which of course is sooooo based on chemicals, their products/manufacture...we're killing ourselves! It's just a fact of life/death.

Tomas

Banned
I almost expect to see a big green and white sign next to the interstates leading into California with the following text:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> WARNING:

This state contains chemicals known
to the State of California to cause
cancer and/or birth defects or other
reproductive harm.

Enter with caution.</pre><hr />

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
this can of paint i have here (purchased in Maine) also has a warning that it's contents are known to cause cancer.....

in California.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

SERIOUSLY. *lol*