8D maglite bulb

canuckken

Newly Enlightened
I am new here and not sure if this has been covered before but here is my question. I have a 3D and a 6D Maglite. I purchased a 2 cell extension for the 3D but I am wondering if I can use the extension on the 6D making it an 8D with a 220 lumen cree xp-g2 led bulb that is already installed in the flashlight? Will the extra 3 volts be an issue or should I stick with my original plan and use the extension with the 3D Maglite? If I cannot use that bulb is there a bulb that would be compatible with a 8D Maglite?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think you are the only one able to answer this question.

Nobody here knows what XP-G2 drop in you are using. So we can't answer the question. However if you know where you got it, or it's specs then you should be able to find it's supported voltage range.

6D = 9v
And 8D = 12v

If you can't find the specs then it comes down to a risk based decision, as in do you want to try it or not. If the drop in wasn't expensive, it might be acceptable risk to give it a go on 8D, the obvious risk being it might fry the drop in and make it useless.

The real question here is, why do you want an 8D? Is there a reason or something you are trying to achieve? Chances are the drop in won't be any brighter. It should extend runtime, but might make the driver work harder as it'll have to burn off more volts to get down to the vf the LED needs.

canuckken

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Chicken Drumstick. I am surprised that no one has heard of the led bulb I mentioned, they are quite common on eBay. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221346423618?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

I will have to see if I can find the specs for the bulb as you suggested. As to why I want a 8D I knew that question would be asked so here is my answer. I don't need it except that I work late night and early morning in a shady part of town and thought the extra length would not hurt if I needed to use it to protect myself. That is the main reason I bought the 6D in the first place as I already owned a Maglite that was bright enough for my needs. Basically the 8D will just give me a longer club but it is not absolutely necessary.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are quite a few of these drop in's about. I don't know if there is one place that makes them, or several. As I've read several different places claim to be the only ones making them.

I would contact the seller and ask them what the supported voltage range is for the drop in, rather than the size of Maglite they intend it for. If they really do manufacture these as they claim, it should be an easy thing for them to answer.

Or I guess you could just try it and if it blows, speak to the seller about a replacement ;) tell them you used it in a 6D.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several dozen types of Mag Lite dropins - The trouble here is knowing which type ("What kind of oil filter does my car need?" is always answered with "What kind of car?"). This one will probably do poorly on 8D cells - They cite up to 6D. Ask the seller what they think, or give it a go and see what happens. You could build a dummy 2D adapter... But in the UK, it may be frowned upon to select your flashlight for skull-bashing reasons. That may change your choice from an "Illumination Tool" to a "prepared weapon" or somesuch legal definition.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
most, (at least the one in question, the one linked) mag drop inst are made for 2,3-6 cells, so 8 might damage it. even if it does not, it wont be any brighter, cuz 2-6cell drop ins have regulator, regardless of voltage it will be same brightness, so i do not see any sence to add 2 extra cells, unles your goal is to have a 8d mag, than just use 2 dummy cells.

canuckken

Newly Enlightened
"Or I guess you could just try it and if it blows, speak to the seller about a replacement
wink.gif
tell them you used it in a 6D."

LOL, I could do that but I won't.

"But in the UK, it may be frowned upon to select your flashlight for skull-bashing reasons. That may change your choice from an "Illumination Tool" to a "prepared weapon" or somesuch legal definition."

I live in Canada and if I am jumped 3am in the morning by a couple guys you can bet your *** I will use my Maglite as a skull-bashing tool. I am a big guy but if I am out numbered I will not have a conscience if they want to harm me.

Anyway guys I am not going to chance it. The drop-in was not cheap so I will just use the 6D as is and put the extension on the 3D. Cheers.

Last edited: