Suprabeam Q7 Defend

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
I have just received the Danish made Suprabeam Q7 Defend Tactical torch which is a totally new release. It will be released to the public within ca. 14 days.

It comes in this case:

Inside, you see the holster for the Q7 Defend...The front is closed by a magnet which is a rather nice touch! It was decided to use a magnet closure instead of velcro to reduce sound with opening the holster in tactical situations:

As you can see, it has pockets on both sides for spare batteries (the Q7 uses 4 x AAA):

Here you see the hight quality battery compartment with gold contacts:

On the back of the holster, you have a belt loop which is both botton and velcro fastened:

Now, let's have a closer look at the Q7 Defend:

It measures 139,3mm in lenght and 39mm at the lense.

The body is made of anodized, high strength Aluminium which has been coated with a soft urethane coating for maximum grip.

Also, due to the urethane coating, the Q7 Defend has an inbuilt anti-roll feature which works really well.

The switch that controls the light modes is made of solid silicon and has a nice and firm click to it:

Here you can see the Cree Cree XP-G2 LED though the lense:

You can remove the the lense to add filters:

See that Aluminum ring in the picture above? Before inserting a filter, remove the ring:

The filters that are sold separately have different functions:

Yellow = Will have an easier effect on the eyes, and display a less bright light. Ideal in fog / mist / smoke.
Blue = Adds a cooler light. Ideal for blood trailing and hunting and also body fluid ID
Green = Improves your night vision and electronic night vision equipment is less sensitive to green light. Ideal also in the woods.
Red = Will preserve your night vision better and is hard to see at a distance. If you use a red colour filter at night on your torch, you can see what is around you using your cones (registers red, blue and green light). The rods (registers grey light) in the eye can't see the red light and your night adapted vision is unaffected. Turn off the red light and you can go right back to looking at the forrest, piste or track in the same detail as before. Ideal for hunting.

Although you cannot remove the head, you can remove the part under the lense to get to the LED:

Via the sliding head, the beam can be focussed from wide floodlight to narrow spotlight... Suprabeam calls it Hyperfocus.

A really nice feature is the ability to lock the head by turning it counter-clockwise. In that way, you can "save" your preferred beam structure. To de-active the lock, simply turn the head clockwise.

The switch controls the light modes... there are 5 of them:

Boost = Maximum output allowed by battery and LED
Strobe = Flashing strobe light at 10 Hz
High = Sustainable high light output
Medium = Medium light output, medium lifetime
Low = Long term low light output

To switch between different light outputs, either press switch fully on and off within 3 seconds or half press repeatedly to cycle between modes. After 3 seconds of on or off, the product will return to the start of the cycle when next switched on.

Boost lasts for about 3 minutes and then automatically reduces to the next mode to preserve battery power. Boost can be re-activated by cycling through the modes back to the beginning.

According to Suprabeam, the specs of the torch are:

Max 350 lumens light output

Max 33 hours runtime (low mode)

Max light distance: 350 meters

Here are some beam shots (strobe not included) that I made, directing the torch against a stop sign at 80 metres distance:

Boost mode, focused:

BOOST mode, de-focused:

HIGH mode, focused:

MEDIUM mode, focused:

LOW mode, focused:

LOW mode, de-focused:

Overall, I must say that I am very happy with the Suprabeam Q7 Defend Tactical torch! I hope you enjoyed my review!

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, glad you liked it!
Hoping that this can go to the Flashlight Reviews section...