Olight S10R Baton & M10 Maverick Specifications

pakoregon

Newly Enlightened
I am guessing this has been answered before but for the life of me I can find any posting related to this topic

I just bought an Olight S10R Baton flashlight...

When I read the "User Manual" I get confused between the light's "Specifications" and the "Output VS Runtime" graph.

The written specifications state under "OUTPUT & RUNTIME HIGH" 400 LUMENS/50min but the "Output VS Runtime" graph is telling me I will only get 400 lumens for a few seconds. See attached image...

Any help understanding the difference here would be appreciated,
Thanks
Phil

IMG_0144-e1421177870613.jpg

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that's quite normal for high output small lights - they'll step down on a timer or thermal control circuit to avoid heat build up (they don't have the mass to heat sink a continuous run at max). Even if they don't have auto step-down features, you'll usually see output drops from the battery sagging, and also LED efficiency reductions as it heats up. ANSI regulations would allow that light to report ~60 mins which includes down to 10% of original output. THIS is my favorite ANSI output/runtime graph :D.

BTW, some may argue that the quality US manufacturers don't step-down like the Chinese lights, and that's true.... but they're also quite a bit larger/heavier (more heat sink mass) and/or aren't driven very hard.

Last edited:

pakoregon

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that's quite normal for high output small lights - they'll step down on a timer or thermal control circuit to avoid heat build up (they don't have the mass to heat sink a continuous run at max). Even if they don't have auto step-down features, you'll usually see output drops from the battery sagging, and also LED efficiency reductions as it heats up. ANSI regulations would allow that light to report ~60 mins which includes down to 10% of original output. THIS is my favorite ANSI output/runtime graph :D.

BTW, some may argue that the quality US manufacturers don't step-down like the Chinese lights, and that's true.... but they're also quite a bit larger/heavier (more heat sink mass) and/or aren't driven very hard.

Many Thanks... makes sense to me...