A flashlight of your dream!

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Dear friends!

No matter where you use your flashlight, you just want it to be reliable. So you understand the value of a good quality light in times of need. Armytek Team is gathering information about the most important factors while choosing a flashlight.

DSC_0530.jpg

Describe a flashlight of your dream! :)

P.S. After a discussion we will make an infographics including the main features of a perfect flashlight that you can use during your work, hobbies or other every day activities!

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us!

We tried to pick out the most often mentioned wishes from different flashlight forums.

Untitled_Infographic1.jpg

Untitled_Infographic22.jpg

Last edited:

bdogps

Enlightened
I wish there was a torch that has the same flood as your wizard headlamps. I do not like the "donkey ears" or the "artefacts" that current flood torches have.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reliable, duel spectrum (white & red leds), emphasis on runtimes as opposed to output, duel output (low & high), emphasis on practical not tactical, strong pocket clip, pocket clip that mounts bezel up to allow light (if small enough) to be mounted on a hat brim for hands free use, small size (single AA or cr123), light weight and geared towards outdoor recreation (star gazing, hiking), travel, & EDC.

kj2

Flashaholic
Size and dimensions of the Predator. Easy and customizable UI via USB-port. Via computer and account on the ArmyTek website, you can change your UI. Log in, select your light, website detects flashlight and then you can customize the UI like you want to. No twisting and clicking needed. XM-L2 led, Smooth reflector, IP68, (real)thick body and head, led on copper, optional extension for 2x 18650 or 4x CR123, red blinking indicator(which you can turn off) to locate rear clicky switch, min 0.01 - max 1100 lumens.

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
^^ What kj2 said +:

Square-cut threads, tailcap lockout
Additional modes hidden (Strobe, SOS, or similar)
Mode-memory on off.
Fast access to low and high modes from off.
Fast access to low and high modes from any mode, and return to previously active mode easily.
Battery low led (can be turned off).
GITD/Tritium options available for inserts, lens seals, tailcap.
A decent functional holster. (I love the Olight M22 Warrior style holster, but even that could be improved on)
Decent accessories list/optionals (Diffuser, colour lenses, battery magazine, pocketclip, cigar ring, gun mount, tactical bezel)
Good throw (300+ meters)

Not asking for much :eek: haha...

Last edited:

bdogps

Enlightened
Size and dimensions of the Predator. Easy and customizable UI via USB-port. Via computer and account on the ArmyTek website, you can change your UI. Log in, select your light, website detects flashlight and then you can customize the UI like you want to. No twisting and clicking needed. XM-L2 led, Smooth reflector, IP68, (real)thick body and head, led on copper, optional extension for 2x 18650 or 4x CR123, red blinking indicator(which you can turn off) to locate rear clicky switch, min 0.01 - max 1100 lumens.

+1

Ishango

Enlightened

+2 (I would certainly buy a light with these specs), would love to see a programmers interface as well (API) being a software developer myself, but a website or really usable app would suffice as well.

I also would like to see a similar light to the Predator, but in a more compact model (single AA or single CR123A) (the current Partner A1 feels less durable to me, and in fact mine has a minor defect which I haven't researched yet). I like the idea of having a secondary circuit when things go wrong and having the programming options available on a compact light.

kj2

Flashaholic
^^ What kj2 said +:

Square-cut threads, tailcap lockout
Additional modes hidden (Strobe, SOS, or similar)
Mode-memory on off.
Fast access to low and high modes from off.
Fast access to low and high modes from any mode, and return to previously active mode easily.
Battery low led (can be turned off).
GITD/Tritium options available for inserts, lens seals, tailcap.
A decent functional holster. (I love the Olight M22 Warrior style holster, but even that could be improved on)
Decent accessories list/optionals (Diffuser, colour lenses, battery magazine, pocketclip, cigar ring, gun mount, tactical bezel)
Good throw (300+ meters)

Not asking for much :eek: haha...
You made my list complete :D

Charles L.

Enlightened
You know they are a Canadian company that uses US and Japanese components?

No. I know they have a Canadian address, but that's not the same as what you're suggesting.

My only Armytek is the Wizard Pro headlamp. Armytek could make it better by:
- making the button slightly larger and not as stiff. Almost impossible to use with gloves as it is now.
- simplifying the UI. Why, for example, can I only access the moonlight modes by turning the light off again?
- shaving 10 grams off the weight. No reason the tail cap needs to be as large as it is.

Otherwise it is a pretty great headlamp already. And thanks Armytek for seeking the opinions of your users.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Flashlight of Your Dream? Is this another ArmyTek dream that remains as such? Promises left unfulfilled?

Defeating ZebraLight would require more than mimicry, although sublumen would be nice.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watching this thread with interest :popcorn: and will add some more comments of my own.

To start with I would include:

Instant and foolproof access to Moonlight mode(s).
Side switch as well as tail switch, with either acting as the main switch (not one being a function switch and the other the power).
Smooth wide flood beam with very soft and wide hotspot to give some extended range, but not much.
Wide input voltage with the ability to run off any cell, albeit with limited functionality on small cells (AAA, AA, CR123, 14500, RCR123, up to 18650 - yes all of these!).
Programmable.
Not even a hint of PWM in any output mode.
No parasitic drain (or negligible 1or 2 uA).
Silent switches (no loud clicking).
Tritium inserts in the main reflector to provide permanent micro-moonlight output.
UV and Red, Green, Blue output as well.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Describe a flashlight of your dream!

4xAA body with contoured interior (no battery carrier), big triad shaped tail cap with forward clicky, single mode medium output high cri, with a bigger/deeper head & reflector than all the typical uniform diameter soupcan tubes.

1xAAA single mode medium-high output tail standing twisty with a spring.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a "dream" thread, so everything need not be practical. But I would tend to go with something more feasible (at least, technologically speaking). A collaboration between Zebralight (for the user interface, PID, and compactness) and Armytek (incredible toughness, reliability, best anodizing in the business, looks) would be the closest thing to my dream light. The technology is already there, and it could be a one-off, but the two companies would complement each other very well. Since there is almost zero overlap in the core business currently (tactical vs. practical, throw vs. flood) I think it COULD happen. And it would be a way to expose people to offerings they might otherwise never try...I imagine that for the most part, Armytek and Zebralight customers are very different people.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
A collaboration between Zebralight (for the user interface, PID, and compactness) and Armytek (incredible toughness, reliability, best anodizing in the business, looks) would be the closest thing to my dream light.

+1. Read my mind! :)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know they are a Canadian company that uses US and Japanese components?

If we are going into that, I will point out that the Armytek factory is in China. In my experience, Armytek's fit and finish is definitely better than some of the Chinese companies...but ALL of the actual production is in China. Just a matter of staying on top of things, and demanding quality. China is certainly capable of making excellent products...in some areas, their manufacturing abilities are second to none.