When you're hinted at that you don't need another flashlight.

maxaman1981

Newly Enlightened
Family members and friends who don't understand our love of lumens. And try to prevent us from getting another light because "We don't use them."

I have a nice collection of lights at this point, but after my Olight X6, my dad told me not to get anymore, which only made me want to even more. So now I've got to a point where my mum knows I've got another light since but we actually have to keep it quiet. My dad never goes in my room and even if he did, he wouldn't be able to tell I have another new beast for the collection.

My general question is: Does anyone else here have anyone telling them not to get anymore or have so many just becuause you might not use them often? I don't think it should be an issue. If you love collecting something and it's legal and not hurting anyone then why not?

Kalpn

Newly Enlightened
I put my flashlights in a locked cabinet so my family don't really know how many I have. :naughty:

Normally, I will just keep 3-4 outside for usage or rotate when needed.

In addition, I never unpacked my new flashlight when my family is at home.

buds224

Enlightened
My wife and kids love that I have so many lights. Wifey says at least the money is being spent on something useful. Extended family smile at the "rediculousness", as they see it, but don't judge. Everyone else.....they say they're coming over during power outages....."just look for the glowing house" is what they say. Very understanding family and friends. LOL.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
if they notice what appears to be a new light just tell them it is one you have not used for some time and it just looks new.

kj2

Flashaholic
Heard it a few times.. But hey.. it's healthier than drinking or using ;)
Had some time when I ordered one or two lights each month. Yeah, collection is growing quickly then. Told myself to call down and only order a light than really adds something. Therefore my latest purchase, the TN36vn :D
And having more than 30+ lights.. I've everything covered by now :p
But am still looking for lights to add to the collection ;)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
...just tell them you write flashlight reviews on the internet and the fools send you free lights!

That's what I do! Works like a charm.

...and never, EVER tell them what you paid for it! :D

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just tell them it's a hobby of sorts. Some people collect stamps, bottle caps, guns, ect.. some people will collect flashlights. With that being said i don't really need anything more than 12 flashlights. Often times i give up or sell lights i don't use if i'm looking for something better. Some people don't have any flashlights at all so i'm helping those folks out so they got one in case of an emergency :D. Others might like the light but doesn't want to buy it online so often times i'll make the sale and i get money for either to replace that light or to buy one i'd like to own.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF maxaman1981!

My wife just rolls her eyes and I tell her it could be worse, I could be into guns.

kelmo

xzel87

Enlightened
...and never, EVER tell them what you paid for it! :D

.... In addition, I never unpacked my new flashlight when my family is at home.

I do this, and whatever price I paid for a light I usually only "declare" half to a third of the actual value, or said that it was on sale.

Plus deliveries all goes to the office so it gets unpacked there.

maxaman1981

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF maxaman1981!

My wife just rolls her eyes and I tell her it could be worse, I could be into guns.

kelmo
Many thanks, I do indeed feel very welcome on these boards. That's what I do generally tell them is there are worse things to collect, but they'll never hear it. They are concerned I know from when I was told not to get anymore after the mighty Olight, but the very person that told me that collects vaping sticks. I wonder how he would feel if I told him not to get anymore. He'd turn it around and say "Well, that's different..." or whatever. I do believe that one day there will be a long term power outage from a cyber attack or terrorism or atmospheric phenomena, and I like seeing a good light out in this dark, rural area I live in at night.

H-Man

Enlightened
My family doesn't care. We have power failures often enough that they understand what flashlights are for, when one hits I just hand out lights and it is business as usual.

Taz80

Enlightened
When I tell my wife I'm getting another light or batteries, I get the eye roll and "what do you need another light for you have plenty of lights". She's right of course. I tell her I need it for work, although that excuse doesn't really work very often or at all any more:shrug:.