Whats that smell

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,
This is my first post so im glad to be here,
My question is,What is that smell that comes from my CMG ultra when I unscrew the head?
I am useing regular Duracell AA batteries,there is also a grey film on the threads where the lube is.
I hope the battery isnt leaking.I refuse to leave anywhere without this light LOL,So I hope there isnt a problem with it.
Thanks in advance,
Ryan

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I took a whiff of mine, and detected a faint, solvent-like odour in the barrel. I believe this odour is perfectly normal, and does not indicate a problem with the flashlight or the battery.

That grey film on the threads where the lubricant is is also normal, and isn't something you should worry about.

I don't believe your battery is leaking.

However, your results may vary. If you believe the battery is leaking, put it in something you can easily clean the battery poop out of or dispose of it if it's dead, and place a new one in your flashlight.

Free

Enlightened
What I would like to know is what is the smell that comes out of my flashlights that take 123 Lithium batteries when I open them. What sort of gas am I breathing from the batteries?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That "sickly sweet" smell (like rotten honey) is some kind of lithium compound. I don't believe the gas is harmful, but I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, so take my advice with plenty of crystalline sodium chloride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There's a thread on CPF that describes this chemical more accurately, but I don't know where it is right at this moment.
I think the chemical itself is lithium hexaflouroethane nitrate but I'm not 100% certain.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Free said:
What I would like to know is what is the smell that comes out of my flashlights that take 123 Lithium batteries when I open them. What sort of gas am I breathing from the batteries?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hopefully nothing from inside the battery which is only designed to vent under an extreme pressure internally. A typical 3V cell like the 123 contains lithium, manganese dioxide, and some kind of organic alkaline compound as the electrolyte. Typical standard alkaline cells use manganese dioxide and inorganic potassium hydroxide (similar to lye) as the electrolyte. Any cell suspected of leaking should be disposed of. A weak acid such as vinegar should be applied to the affected part slowly to neutralize and then flush with water. Damage to metal will occur. A cell that uses acid such as standard dry cell and some cheaper heavy duty, and rechargeable gel cells should be treated the same way except using a solution of baking soda and water instead of vinegar. Wear gloves and eye protection just in case. Better yet just send the whole mess to the battery (cell) maker to replace since all metal will be damaged by the leak! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

George

edit: Just found the thread I think Craig is refering to.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the smell of Lithium in the morning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW Featherstone, the 'grey matter' you find on the threads is usually the 'oxidization poop' that is pretty common with most flashlights. You can clean the threads by wiping with a tissue/cloth and then re-lubing your threads and o-rings, but you'll find that no matter how hard you try the poop will still come back...

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Stanley,

I emailed Militec-1 and asked them if threre grease would be okay to use for a lube without eating the O-ring.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Featherstone, you're welcome! There's been lots of discussion threads around here on types of lubes to use on your flashlights, mainly divided up into conductive and non-conductive. You'll be able to find them thru the search functions here. Normally, any silicone based grease would suffice and will not eat into the rubber o-rings. Good luck and enjoy your stay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again,

I have never thought about flashlights very much until I got the CMG Infinity from County Comm,WOW what a great little light,It didnt come with a laynard or clip so I emailed CMG and asked them where I can get a clip for it, needless to say they sent me 2 clips and 2 laynards at no cost.....That was mighty nice of them.

This little light sure is handy,I use it alot,even when reading at night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Now that I have got this light I start to see all these other ones YIKES this can get expensive lol.
Needless to say I have become a LED fan after going threw a couple of dozen bulbs with my mini mag lite,and that thing sucks batteries dry in no time.
Thanks for the welcome aboard,I think I will learn alot here.

jtice

Flashaholic
My office was filled with the smell of fresh computer hardware cooking for its first time. (5 new desktop computers) Ahhhhhh I just love the small of new electronics.

The smell of those 123 batts, I could do without. My PM6 stinks hehe. It seems to be alot worse than my other 123 lights.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
The smell of those 123 batts, I could do without. My PM6 stinks hehe. It seems to be alot worse than my other 123 lights.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some people think they have a sickly sweet odour, while others think they have an acrid chemical odour. I guess it just depends on the nose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
I see a new wing at the Betty Ford Clinic. Just for flashlight sniffers. And here I thought buying and/or modding them were the only addictions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
True Story: When my Arc LSH-P arrived, I took it out of its plastic bag, placed it under my nose, and sniffed it like a fine cigar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
I love the smell of Lithium in the morning! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh yes, it helps to level set the whole day!!

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
I emailed CMG,they respond quick,great company.
Anyway they said you can use pEtroleum based jelly will work just fine,I have a tube of lubriplate white grease that I used,sure slicked things up.

So if they say petroleum is okay then I guess it is okay LOL.
anyone try Lubriplate for lube with there lights?I have used it on my Garands and 1911's and it has worked great.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lubriplate in the white and yellow package is a soap based grease and doesn't dry up or cake. I have been using lubriplate for 25 years and always keep a tube in my toolbox.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, petroleum jelly might be ok for some orings but not necessarily all types, depending on the materials the oring is made out of. So, you might want to get yourself something else like a silicone based grease instead, just in case. Sorry, no idea with lubriplate, but I picked up some silicone grease from a diving shop, hope it helps...