MagLite 3 D Cell mod questions

RC102782

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone! I poked around some on the internet and the forums, and I would like some advice. I have a few flashlights laying around, but none that really fit one of my needs (wants is probably a better term). I would like a fairly bright light that could be used as a blunt object in an emergency. I also want a flashlight that is always ready to go. Something like the rechargeable MagLites that have a charging cradle or dock (they are simply too expensive for me). I have a 3 D cell MagLite on my workbench that I never use. I was wondering if I could modify it and make a charging dock of some kind. I would then purchase some rechargeable batteries. I am not against getting my hands dirty, and will not be upset if it is not the prettiest flashlight. I simply want my wife or I to be able to walk out of the garage, grab it off the dock, and turn it on. A tail cap switch would be a neat modification, but it is not a must-have. Anyone have any advice on the best inexpensive batteries to use, a good inexpensive bulb upgrade to make it super bright, and a charging system? I have a few tools at my disposal (hand tools, some power tools, soldering iron and gun, etc.), and a box of various AC to DC power adapters I have accumulated over the years. I have found a video of a modification that uses a plug and jack set-up to make the MagLite rechargeable, but I would prefer a dock if I can make one cheaply (or better would be free). A requirement for the batteries is that they would have to be able to be charged continuously. I am guessing this would be accomplished with some sort of smart charger, but I will let the experts (you guys) answer that! Is this flashlight set-up possible for me to make? I enjoy projects, and I am broke, so I will happily make stuff in lieu of buying it. If the project is a go, I will start a build thread to keep everyone updated. Thanks in advance!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.
Everything you asked above such as tail switch, ability of cradle charging and higher output is possible and doable but cost will be too high.
You can buy readily available flashlight with almost all features you mentioned for example LED Strion.
However, it's your choice and good luck.

RC102782

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. That is what I was worried about, and the Strion appears to be around $100. Way too much for a flashlight that I do not really need. I guess maybe I will stick to the MagLite, and just make it rechargeable like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hack-a-simple-old-Mag-Lite-torch-into-a-cool-longl/. Anyone have any recommendations for good, inexpensive rechargeable batteries? Maybe some that will tolerate being left on the charger?