SWM D40A Switch durability failure.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
The switch on my D40A has flaked and carcked away with typical use every other day.

Could I call SWM for a spare user replaceable part do you think?

It has been modded by vinh after i bought it and is around 1-1.5 years old so deffintly not under warrenty lol.

Id hate to see a light this good die cos of a bit of flaky plastic.

Sorry for the cartoon look i had to heavly edit the photo to bring out the cracks as was taken on a cell phone not my proppper camera.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Looks like you can repair/change/fix it yourself. I would contact SWM, and see if they can ship a new switch-cover.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought this might happen with the D40A's switch, it was one of the reasons I didnt get one. It reminds me of a 90's microwave console lol.

I would just contact SWM and see if they can ship you a new switch cover:thumbsup:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought this might happen with the D40A's switch, it was one of the reasons I didnt get one. It reminds me of a 90's microwave console lol.

Hey, I wonder if you can just cut a piece of plastic off an old microwave and use that?

On my D40A, it looks like just plain plastic, although it might have a couple of bumps added where the switch buttons are. I'm not sure if the bumps are in the plastic, or if it's just the buttons pushing up from underneath.

There must also be some glue holding the edges down, or it is waterproof just from the pressure of the screws?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one of these and hope it lasts, I would post this in the SWM forum on CPFMP, you might get a faster response.

I've had mine for over a year and with not a lot of use, it's been fine. I think SWM has a two year warranty and I was able to register my 3 SWM lights and extend that to 2.5 years, so the OP should be OK.

I had a Battery Junction purchased V10R stop working on primaries right at the 1 yr. mark, which couldn't be replaced/repaired at the time and both of those companies took care of me, just sending me the new V11R for nothing out of my pocket, except shipping to BJ.

Chris

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine for over a year and with not a lot of use, it's been fine. I think SWM has a two year warranty and I was able to register my 3 SWM lights and extend that to 2.5 years, so the OP should be OK.

I had a Battery Junction purchased V10R stop working on primaries right at the 1 yr. mark, which couldn't be replaced/repaired at the time and both of those companies took care of me, just sending me the new V11R for nothing out of my pocket, except shipping to BJ.

Chris

That doesnt solve the design flaw though. You pretty much know it will fail due to the poor material used/design so, I would send it back if I were you and go with a comparable product with a more modern/conventional/proven switch design like the Eagletac GX25A3.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesnt solve the design flaw though. You pretty much know it will fail due to the poor material used/design so, I would send it back if I were you and go with a comparable product with a more modern/conventional/proven switch design like the Eagletac GX25A3.

LOL.

I went with the D40A CW over the EagleTac, so why would I want to ditch the light after one guy complains of a problem with the plastic?

One guy having an issue does not a 'design defect' make.

Mine's been fine after a solid year. Maybe the OP was eating some funky potato chips and got some weird oil on the plastic, causing a premature failure?

I was probably the first member here to buy/receive the newly released Xtar VP2 li-ion charger last January/February and guess what? It was recalled by Xtar for having a plastic composition that was prone to brittleness if the housing was subjected to freezing temps.

The formula was corrected and a new one sent, so things can happen with any model of widget, but having read many, many posts from D40A owners, the OP's problem is the first time I've read of it happening.

Now, if you want to rant on about switch covers, search the 'NiteCore EA4.'

Chris

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is the clear is a cover only and more than likely vinyl, I can get samples at my local plastics store for free.
When my D40A shows up I'll have more info. My EA4 switch has been flawless. :p

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL.

I went with the D40A CW over the EagleTac, so why would I want to ditch the light after one guy complains of a problem with the plastic?

One guy having an issue does not a 'design defect' make.

Mine's been fine after a solid year. Maybe the OP was eating some funky potato chips and got some weird oil on the plastic, causing a premature failure?

I was probably the first member here to buy/receive the newly released Xtar VP2 li-ion charger last January/February and guess what? It was recalled by Xtar for having a plastic composition that was prone to brittleness if the housing was subjected to freezing temps.

The formula was corrected and a new one sent, so things can happen with any model of widget, but having read many, many posts from D40A owners, the OP's problem is the first time I've read of it happening.

Now, if you want to rant on about switch covers, search the 'NiteCore EA4.'

Chris

I meant the guy that just ordered one that you quoted.

Myself, I would not trust that style of switch. I have had a number of items over the years that used a similar design and cracked in a similar fashion. Rubber/silicone switches seam to hold up better imo. However, as long as each is easily serviceable and parts are readily available, it doesnt really matter I suppose.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL.

Agreed. I also went with the Sunwayman D40A over the Eagletac, because I heard many complaints about the mode selection not working unless kept very clean. Plus, the Eagletac does have a stupid interface.

In any case, even if the plastic does wear out, it doesn't look critical to the function of the light, and might be able to easily replace.

OTOH, I've never had a microwave button wear out, and if this is similar, I don't foresee it being a problem.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I also went with the Sunwayman D40A over the Eagletac, because I heard many complaints about the mode selection not working unless kept very clean. Plus, the Eagletac does have a stupid interface.

In any case, even if the plastic does wear out, it doesn't look critical to the function of the light, and might be able to easily replace.

OTOH, I've never had a microwave button wear out, and if this is similar, I don't foresee it being a problem.

Plastics wear out, their color fades, they split, become crazed, but good point on the microwave key pad.

My Kenmore is 27 years old in April and while it's scuffed up a bit, it still works fine.

Anyhow, I'm not using my D40A much and I don't leave the light on my dashboard in the Miami sun, so I'm not too concerned with its build quality.

Chris

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
What kind of plastic is it? Can you cut the same size piece of plastic out of something else and use it?

Almost certainly, but I dont feel it should have gone so easily as never been abused and not very old, I think the switch could do with a redesign, it was always bought up in reviews as a potential problem. Of-course being a vinh modded light I cant get it under warranty so I was happy to just buy some more switches.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Sunwayman CS was very helpful and got back to me withing 48hrs after I explained it was out of warranty and that I was happy to pay, they said I could have for free and I only had to cover the shipping, I think it was not much, maby $6 but just sent them $10 to cover it. (They should be sending two so I have a spare)

I do remember mine always having a slight rough bit on the top where it cracked so maby it was not perfect to start with and hopefully the new ones will last a lot longer.

Its like a hard vinyl and I think the top bit is just a stiff shape that may be why it cracked, maby just needs a softer material.

In answer to above the plastic is shaped the buttons do not bulge, the plastic is just shaped, No idea on water proofing though. It still works fine and is non essential IMO, I may have just had a dodgy one might not be a defect at all, its a great light and I still highly recommend it, for a AA light anyways, I love mine now its been VNed.

Last edited:

credo

Newly Enlightened
I think some folks have sweaty hands, and the oils can break down some plastics over time. I've known some DSLR cameras to lose their button markings after a relatively short time for some users, where I used my camera for 7 years an the buttons looked almost new, I have very dry hands. Sounds like SWM CS have done a good job, and it's an easy fix. My year old D40 looks like new, not used daily though.