Yet another Mag 3C 3W DD Mod

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Sorry but yes, another Mag 3W DD mod to share. Like others, I'm anxious to receive my FT-3C so I made a 3W DD to help hold me over. I'm happy with the results.

OAC3, TV0K/TWAK??(ordered when TWAKs were selling but think I missed them & got TV0Ks), Hotlips, Krylon sputtered reflector, Borafloat lens:

tv0k-dd3c_sputter.jpg
tv0k-dd3c_hotlips-c.jpg
tv0k-dd3c_glow.jpg

3W DD @ 1.1A (Duracells)- 15ft.
tv0k-dd3c_beam_15ft.jpg

Top: McLuxPR R2K DB917, Bottom: 3W DD @ 1A (Duracells)- 25ft.
r2k-db917_tv0k-dd3c_25ft.jpg

Top: McLuxPR TW0K DB1000, Bottom: 3W DD @ 900ma (Duracells)- 25ft.
tw0k-db1000_tv0k-dd3c_25ft.jpg

Top: FT-3C @ 1.5a, Bottom: 3W DD @ 1.3A (New Energizers)- 25ft.
tw0k-db1000_tv0k-dd3c_25ft.jpg

thx for looking!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Yet another Mag 3W DD Mod

Very nice!

I like the kewel blue after glow also.

The 3 cell mod with 3W Luxeon is still one of the best, and as you've shown here, gives excellent results.

That's one bright sucker!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

The hotspot size and throw anywhere near that of a 3x123 2C mag running a 6 cell incan bulb? This light is DD in a 3 D cell mag? Did u sputter the reflector yourself? What heat sink are you running?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Thanx Lambda. I didn't know these things were this bright. Almost like a 5W DD mod just with a tighter beam and less batteries but still not a MegaLite though.

MTFD1, the hotspot size of a Mag 3X123 6cell ican. mod is much larger than that of a 3W C/D-3cell DD mod but does not throw nearly as far. Below is a pic for you. I prefer the 3W DD mod over the 3x123 6cell incan. mod since it will run longer and the batteries are cheaper. My Mag2C 3x123 KPR112 mod flashes the bulb way before the batteries are close to being depleted.

This light is a DD in a Mag3C. I did sputter the reflector myself, but gotta give Lambda credit for the R & D. Without him there'd be many lights that I own that I'd dislike to use. I can't live with ugly beams. I used one of hotbeam's beautiful Hotlips heatsinks.

Now that it's darker now in the house, the Mag 3W DD's beam appears to be very blue in the camera's eye but really does not have any blue tint at all. (sorry for the off-center beams but my camera was running low on power)

Top: Mag2C 3x123 KPR112 @ 8.67v 780ma, Bottom: 3W DD @ 850ma
kpr112-3x123_dd3c_25ft.jpg

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow, what a nice bright sucker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the beamshot! Can you post how you sputtered the reflector? Do you need special paint? Have you tried a smooth reflector with the LuxIII?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
Thanks for the beamshot! Can you post how you sputtered the reflector? Do you need special paint? Have you tried a smooth reflector with the LuxIII?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use Krylon Clear Coat for spuutering.

Basically, forget anything you know about spray painting, as a nice even coat will only get you a blurry picture of the beam artifacts. You want the Krylon to just sputter onto the reflector surface in small droplets. Don't shake the can more than 15-20 sec before spraying. Spray from about 14 inches in very short burst. Rotate the reflector 90 degress between spray burst.

The more sputter you apply, the more smoothing effect. Too much, and it's just a flood light, so go slow and test your results. You can always add more, but not take back off...

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

(Don't mind me, just posting some stuff here to better archive the mod for someone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif)

EDIT:
As noted by Justintoxicated's post further down, not all Mag C switch assys are the same! I don't know how to distinguish the two switch assys from each other since I've never had the type the he does. When I do get a hold of one, I will post my findings. All the switch assys I've had from Mags with or without the letter 'C' in front of the serial # were of the type I posted about.
IF YOU DO DECIDE TO OPEN UP YOUR SWITCH, DO IT CAREFULLY (although it didn't do good for Justintoxicated) AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE.

First pull the negative strip contact up and out of the switch assy. grabing it where the set screw is at. Get a razor blade or something thin and use it split the switch assy apart at the seams. It's not glued or welded together. It comes apart very easily.

Be sure to take note of where all the switch components go. Just split the two halves slowly and you'll be ok. I included a pic of the order of components in case you get things mixed up. Remove the brown bulb holder housing and bulb holder, then toss them in the trash (I always keep the bulb holder for some reason, got a box full of them). Put the switch assy's halves back together and make sure the switch is in operational order. A helpful trick in getting everything back together is, remove the contact for the positive side of the batteries along with the other contact that the spring is welded to. After you get the two halves together with all the switch components in order, reinstall the two contacts just before you get the halves closed up.

Then carefully bend back and forth the positive contact spring to break it free from the switch contact. Cut down the negative contact strip to desired length. Now just solder all your conections straight to the switch assy. Makes a cleaner install and leaves you plenty of room for adding a large resistor for those mods that require them.

c-switch-explode.jpg

c-switch-order.jpg

c-switch-split.jpg

As for a Mag D switch:
(These were pictures that I sent to a friend overseas)
d-switch_exploded.jpg

d-switch_assy.jpg

d-negative_contact.jpg

d-switch_cut.jpg

d-switch_connections.jpg

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the PICs dude! im also making a LuxIII 3C magmod.

I didn't understand how to modify the switch untill now. I'm stilla little puzzled since the 3C switch is a little differnt but I'll take another look when I get home. hopefully my LEDs will arrive this week, I have been waiting for what feels like eternity. no idea which Lux III's I will get either.
2 Q's

1)Do I compleatly remove the brown plastic bulb post?
2)Do you have a link to how to sputter the reflector?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

No problem, Justintoxicated. That's what the pics are for.

You don't "have" to remove the brown post. I just prefer it without, it makes soldering the connections easier. If you don't remove the brown post, you wont have to mess with opening the switch assy. Just unscrew the brass cam roller thing and the bulb holder will fall right out.

Look up two posts and Lambda explains how to sputter.

ufokillerz

Enlightened

i need to learn how to photograph like you

flash or no flash?
macro?

i have a s50, but i take pretty crappy pictures

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ufokillerz, hope you don't mind me jumping in, but maybe I can help. I've got an S30, basically a wimpier version of yours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

First, no flash at all! Flash at close range seems to wash out the photos and cause nasty reflections.

Second, set the mode dial on top to the fast action setting, which is the one with the little icon of a guy running.

Third, set the camera into macro mode (the little flower icon), and set the "Drive mode" in the menu to the 2 second delay, meaning the shutter trips two seconds after you push the shutter release.

Now line up your camera with your stuff, and try to set it on something where you don't have to hold it. Make sure there's good lighting on the stuff you're photographing. Sometimes I use my L4 or similar lights to add some extra lighting to things.

When you're ready to go, push the shutter release halfway down to focus the camera. If you get a little blinking light near the viewfinder, it means you can't focus on the subject. Try moving the camera a little farther away and trying again.

Once you can lock in a good focus, push the shutter release the rest of the way down. (Note that you shouldn't let up on the button between focusing and taking the picture, or you'll lose your focus!) Now let go of the camera so you don't accidentally shake it. Two seconds later, CLICK! It takes the photo.

I'm sure there can be improvements on this technique, but if you follow these steps you ought to get some decent photos.

Hope this helps.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

hey man, not all the C Mags are the same I guess..

I broke my switch trying to open it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I guess I need to buy another mag now?

Switch.jpg

notice the broken plastic tab. I was careful but I guess it broke anyways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ufokillerz

Enlightened

yes there are 2 versions of mag lights, the ones where the switch is removed from the TOP, their serial numbers are only numbers.

The 2nd versions is the newer version where you remove the switch from the bottom, and the serial number begins with a C or a D, the C or D designates Cell size of the tube.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
Justintoxicated said:
hey man, not all the C Mags are the same I guess..

I broke my switch trying to open it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I guess I need to buy another mag now?

notice the broken plastic tab. I was careful but I guess it broke anyways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm sorry about that....my apologies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Sounds like your a little mad at me??
I'm willing to replace your switch with mine to make you happy. I'll send you mine and you send me the broken one along with the broken piece. Fair? It seems the broken one can still be used....

That's interesting, I've never seen that type of switch before in any of the Mags I've had, with the letter C in the serial or not.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

I fixed it with superglue heh, its back together...but im still not understanding how I can get the lead to stay in the light without flopping around. Not mad, just frustrated I seem to break everything!

LED's still are not here, Just wanted to get some wires soldered. I'll Take a Pic to show ya what I mean, mind if I post in here? Or should I make a new thread?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Justintoxicated, no I don't mind at all, post away.

After all, I still consider it on topic if that's what you were worried about. I'm the type that wouldn't really mind if it got off topic anyways. I along with others would sure like to know/see. This post was about sharing my Mag mod but mainly about modding a Mag in general.

Again, I'm sorry about what happened. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I edited my post to reflect your findings.

ufokillerz

Enlightened

justintox, i think you have a newer version of the mag C as i described, the newer mag C's usually have a Switch cover that has the Mag Cat Logo as well.