Another IT Question

heelsthrow

Newly Enlightened
I've seen a lot of questions about computers here and this is another one.

Our company does not have an IT Team. We are a small team selling and making e-liquid. We are seeing the fruits of our labor though :grin2: Is it possible to hire an external IT team that we can call when our website acts outor when our POS is not working properly?

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened

Our company does not have an IT Team. We are a small team selling and making e-liquid. We are seeing the fruits of our labor though :grin2: Is it possible to hire an external IT team that we can call when our website acts outor when our POS is not working properly?
E-liquid?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
E-liquid?

Vape juice. They even use lions.

Anyway people hire external IT all the time. They want a fee to be on call and a fee for being called. If your website is down or troubled, then you just call the ISP. No special skill required.

POS is a different scenario as a lot of it is proprietary locked-in stuff and you've got to deal with the vendor.

Do you have a brick and mortar or just e-sales only? There are some really simple and great programs for POS/inventory control/reorder cycle.

tandem

Enlightened

You might try asking other local retailers who have on-line sales and walk-in point of sale systems for references and recommendations. They don't have to be in the same business you are, but same size/scope might get you to a useful recommendation faster.

There are consultants and there are consultants. Someone who has been in business for awhile will no doubt have experienced some good and some bad; with any luck you can skip the bad.

Glad to hear your business is doing well. A good IT consultancy doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg and indeed outsourcing this can be much cheaper than taking on the task yourselves.

Mike

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened
I do pos programming and do alot of this kind of thing. Depending on the pos system you have you may be able to talk to the dealer of it to find help. If it's small system google is your friend. The bigger deal as of late is pci compliance and keeping credit card info safe.
On the website, you can find some one local to fit your budget just get examples of the other websites they have done.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Is it possible to hire an external IT team that we can call when our website acts outor when our POS is not working properly?

Yes, in fact, most IT is sourced. IT doesn't generate income. Its difficult for bean counters to see the value in dead weight... until the books become paper weights. But then its too late. IT is preventative. Working backwards after the fact is expensive and rarely 100% successful. Small companies merely need to adopt good habits, and have IT come check the meter once in a while for good measure. Why have in house web hosting? That's the first thing you should source.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree, NH. Firing IT is like firing your mechanic and then wanting to sue your mechanic for your car breaking down with lack of maintenance.

heelsthrow

Newly Enlightened
Yes, in fact, most IT is sourced. IT doesn't generate income. Its difficult for bean counters to see the value in dead weight... until the books become paper weights. But then its too late. IT is preventative. Working backwards after the fact is expensive and rarely 100% successful. Small companies merely need to adopt good habits, and have IT come check the meter once in a while for good measure. Why have in house web hosting? That's the first thing you should source.

I didn't know. Most companies I've ever worked for have in-house IT teams. I found this, though. Has anyone heard of them? Anyway, been busy the past weeks. Business is on a stand still. When is winter going to end? I can't wait to put my shovel back in the garage! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

statuesquereporter

Newly Enlightened
Of course, there are companies out there who offer IT services. They can provide complete IT support while you focus on your business. I've seen many online when I was looking for a third party that can market our business website.