Reading Glasses with Illumination

recDNA

Flashaholic
CVS sells cheap reading glasses with led on each side. They would be spectacular in the lab except they are just not bright enough. Does anybody know of reading glasses or lab goggles with the option of reading glasses lenses (I don't like wearing glasses under goggles) 30+ lumens? Of course I would prefer high cri but beggars can't be choosers. I find wearing a head lamp clumsey in the lab setting.

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I'm not aware of any glasses with built-in lighting like that, but I just tried rubber-banding a single AAA light (my EDC LD02) to one leg of my glasses. Might be worth a shot, although I should warn you that I'm happy to wear a 2AA light on a headband for hours at a time, so your mileage may vary, weight-wise.

I made sure to use an old pair of glasses for the experiment, as well - I doubt the knurling on the light would do the finish on a nice pair of glasses much good. Tail-cap clicky switch is nice for changing mode in that arrangement, though.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
CVS sells cheap reading glasses with led on each side. They would be spectacular in the lab except they are just not bright enough. Does anybody know of reading glasses or lab goggles with the option of reading glasses lenses (I don't like wearing glasses under goggles) 30+ lumens? Of course I would prefer high cri but beggars can't be choosers. I find wearing a head lamp clumsey in the lab setting.

My dentist has an eyeglasses-mounted light. Being that I read CPF, I asked him what it was. I filed away this info, apparently today's the day to spill it.

Surgitech, I believe is what he said. Don't remember the model number. I think it was an incan.

The thing is tiny, tiny with a remote battery pack to cut weight on the glasses. A medical flashlight. :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'll check into it but normally surgical supplies are outrageously expensive or I would order it from work.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll check into it but normally surgical supplies are outrageously expensive or I would order it from work.

Yeah, medical headlights are wickedly high. I was shopping them this morning, low end is $200ish. I couldn't believe I found one for $1700.

As to why I want one, I've no idea. They look pretty slick on some eyeglasses, though.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I find they work better for me than headlamps. Key is warm and bright.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of the smaller once (and sometimes two) cell lights are now coming with two-way clips that are ideal for clipping onto the brim of a visor or ball cap. Easy to set aside when not needed, helps control hair if one has long hair, and easy to on and off at beginning and end of day. I know the Streamlight Microstream is like that, and at 28 lumens, should just be bright enough for close work without overpowering.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks. Good suggestion. I even have an ll bean cap with built in led but I cannot wear a cap at work. That's why I like the idea of illuminated goggles (with prescription lenses) or reading glasses. I've found some in net searches but I don't know if they're any better than the Foster Grants I already have. Might be an interesting project for a modder.
9a48e79a6d8369c70c7d0af66d8aae7c.jpg

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Although elegance is seldom found in the lab stability is essential. Wouldn't wish a flashlight falling into our latest experiment! LOL

Thanks for a fascinating read however.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
If you can make a good mount for it a ZL H31 on the frame above the nose can work.

I tried with only some tape, didn't get it sturdy enough but could work otherwise.

Tried first with the light in vertical position but that was a little top heavy so horizontal is better.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly is the environment we are attempting to illuminate her? I'm sure that would help up figure out how much light at what range is needed. You mentioned goggles - flying objects protection? splash protection? side protection? full perimeter contact? (Like dive goggles)
Are you monitoring gauges/titrations? Making fine measurements? Doing precision one-off machining?

Have you checked out a Quiq light? I believe Streamlight makes a light where the battery part sits in your pocket and the light itself is on a flexible metal stalk. There are a lot of other options as well.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Typical college bio lab environment. Something dropping off my face into what I am looking at could be very bad. I'm guessing 30 lumens would be enough. Room is well lit so that actually requires more light from glasses rather than less. Something hot and electric falling into chemicals would be very bad. I don't need a full face shield (or at least very seldom do) but more light on a shadowy area can work wonders and I do need glasses to see. 90% ordinary glasses suffice for eye protection. On the rare occasion I do work with caustic chemicals I wear a shield so glasses are under it.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typical college bio lab environment. Something dropping off my face into what I am looking at could be very bad.

Mutant DNA!

So what are looking at, frames with built in lights or something to clip on to glasses?