Progression

texastactical

Newly Enlightened
I, like many of you started with Maglites many years ago. I was known as a bulb tuner among my friends in Law Enforcement and security. I could fix beam patterns in the old incandescent bulbs with a phone book and a judicious use of force. :crackup:Sometime around 1988 I bought a brand new light that was practically unheard of, a Laser Products 6P with a whopping 65 lumens! I paid $40 for it which was an astronomical amount for a flashlight back then. My friends would always exclaim "you paid $40 for a flashlight?".

Then I got a Photon microlight in about 1992? (still works, original battery) In 2000 I received an E2 Executive from Surefire as a gift for working as a Safety Officer in the IDPA National Championships. That light forced the 6P into retirement. The E2 became my constant companion for the next 5 years. It was replaced by an A2 Aviator. That was a way cool light with LEDs and Incandescent bulbs.

When the LED revolution started I realized I was falling behind the curve. I had always enjoyed having the latest greatest lights in as small a package as possible. I resisted the LED bug for awhile. Then jumped in with my first non Surefire for daily carry and got a 4 Sevens 123 Squared. I was happy with it until once again I realized I was way behind the curve and underpowered. So I got a P12. I am happy with its output but found it a bit big for EDC especially when I compare it to the 4 Sevens.

There were a few other flashlights along the way but these were my main EDC lights.

So now I find myself again looking for the best technology, most lumens in the smallest package. Will it ever end?

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems You still did not really punge into progression ...
;)
that were the "switch" away from the light to the power source

--> 1*18650 light instead of whatever number of unnecessary waste + cost producing CR123 primaries

texastactical

Newly Enlightened
It's hard for an old dog to learn new tricks. �� the P12 was my first foray away from the 123s. I am currently looking for a perfect EDC size 18650 light.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard for an old dog to learn new tricks. �� the P12 was my first foray away from the 123s. I am currently looking for a perfect EDC size 18650 light.

Those Zebralight SC600 series are really tiny for the size of the 18650 cell. Love mine. Barely bigger than a Foursevens Quark QPA.

texastactical

Newly Enlightened
Those Zebralight SC600 series are really tiny for the size of the 18650 cell. Love mine. Barely bigger than a Foursevens Quark QPA.

I really like ZL's and I have my eye on that one but the 30mm head is a little concerning for pocket carry.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like ZL's and I have my eye on that one but the 30mm head is a little concerning for pocket carry.

It fits horizontally in the bottom of my shirt pockets and inside coat pockets. Not too long, not too short (for my wardrobe.)

I can almost palm the thing. YPMV (your pockets may vary)