Do you use a high CRI LED light for work?

LedTed

Enlightened
I've been told by a few folks here on CPF that once I get over the "wow factor" of cool LEDs, that I'll convert to warm LEDs with high CRI.

It's been over four years now, and I still prefer to use flashlights with "snow white" emitters; usually not the highest on the CRI scale. I've had no problems distinguishing colors and enjoy the little extra brightness over warm LEDs. And in fact, LEDs can get too "sickly warm" for me.

With all the "high CRI" threads, I feel like I must be missing something.

Do any of you need or prefer high CRI for work?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
It only took me one light and a couple months to convert from cool white led high output lights to a high cri light-- however I do agree with you that certain lights can become too warm. I think 4500k is the minimum cct I could stand. CCT in the 5000s and high CRI preferred.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no right or wrong when it comes to what you prefer when using lights. What's important is that you know what alternatives are available, and then have made an informed choice.

Personally, I like a bit of warmth in my work EDC. I work at night as a chauffeur, often driving bus loads of folks (luxury limo bus) out to the beach for a sunset wedding, or out to a ranch in the middle of nowhere for an evening BBQ, of course with no lights available to light the way back to the bus, so I carry LOTS of lights, and I've applied filters to every one of them, custom color correcting them to my own personal preference.

Heck, I even added a tiny bit of color correction to my ZL SC600 triple nichia 219, just to make it "perfect". Of course my perfect might not be your perfect.

What I've found is that when I get the tint right, colors pop more, and the added contrast makes it easier to see subtle shadow clues when walking, helping folks avoid tree roots or small uneven areas on the ground that might cause them to stumble.

So, yes, I find HICRI and proper color temperature, or at least a more daylight like tint, to be greatly beneficial for my work light. But that's ME. The most important thing for you is whatever floats YOUR boat. If you've tried a more neutral light and didn't enjoy it, then there is no reason whatsoever that you should feel like you're missing something........ however....... I do wonder what neutral or HICRI lights you've used that you didn't like?

It might be that you just haven't yet found the correct combination of HICRI AND color temperature. Many manufacturers sell lights that they list as "neutral", yet they might have a yellow or greenish tint, making you wonder what all the fuss is about. For me, neutral means NO TINT, just white light, and so far I haven't seen ANY lights that actually live up to that claim, which is why I color correct all my lights.

In the same vein, some lights are listed as HICRI, yet the color temp is way RED, or Yellow, or both. That's because HI CRI doesn't necessarily correlate directly with tint, so when selecting LEDs it's important to know BOTH the CRI value AND the color temp, and even then, there can be small variations in the final tints that might or might not be objectionable to a particular user.

In any case, it's all fun and quite an interesting journey.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overall general use lights I don't have a preference but when doing mechanical work or in the woods I tend to prefer my neutral white EA4W or terralux light star 80

scout24

Flashaholic
Use my 119v Haiku for work as a mechanic. Recently added a 219A 140 lumen Clicky from HDS to the rotation. I find the neutral high cri emitters are easier on my eyes at 46 after prolonged usage.

archimedes

Flashaholic
After having tried many different flashlights, personally I prefer warm to neutral tint and high color rendering (90+ CRI, if possible) for most purposes.

I find from 3000K to 5000K acceptable, and close to the middle of that range (~4000K) optimal.

Unless doing color-sensitive work, the tint is more important to me than the CRI.

For tasks dependent on color, then neutral white tint (5000-5500K) and highest possible CRI are ideal.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Yes, for work and everything else. Not a cool white fan, to me it's a "sickly pale". I've passed on more than one new light because of it's cool only tint. Love my warm HI CRIs.

Nailbender XML2 HI CRI, moon, low, med, high, with memory, about 500 lumens. I carry it everyday for work.

IMAG0329%20-%20Copy.jpg

fnsooner

Enlightened
Five days a week. I carry a warm High CRI Preon 2 in my shirt pocket and a neutral ZL SC62w in my pants pocket for work.

Anything but cool white.

Actually, I don't mind a truly white beam. I always loose the tint lottery though when I order a cw current regulated LED flashlight. It seems like I always get something greenish.

I have a ZL SC62d and a triple Nichia 219 P60 drop-in that have nice white tints that I like but I still like my High CRI/neutral/warm tints better.

I do have a few PWM driven budget lights where the cool white tint is bearable, but they aren't work lights.

I have gotten to where I don't buy cool whites any more. Especially the EDC type lights.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly use neutral to warm tints (some Hi cri and some not), they are especially important working at night or in a dark area. They do help me to distinguish certain things better such as wiring, but most importantly is it being easier on my eyes. Light reflected from objects at different distances and reflective surfaces is quite blinding. I want to use my light to see with not blind myself.:eek:oo:

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not work, but I have an ulcer on my shin that is slowly clearing, and I use my TerraLux Lightstar80 or my LumensFactory 90+ drop in to clean up the stuff that's not wanted there and apply medication. It does make a difference when working on my lily-white skin.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be an odd ball. My lights range from 2800k - 6700k or so. I like variety. I rotate them when I can. My most carried light is the 3700k HDS and the 4500k Nichia.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be an odd ball. My lights range from 2800k - 6700k or so. I like variety. I rotate them when I can. My most carried light is the 3700k HDS and the 4500k Nichia.

If you are then I am too. Cool, more powerful lights work better for me when its light outside and looking into dark spaces. They all have their different uses and we all have different preferences which is great, otherwise there wouldn't be many lights to chose from.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Yes I use a High CRI Zebralight to photograph cosmetic flaws on interior vehicle parts at work. Color match, textural issues, clear coat flaws ect. And the blue tint of many leds masks the issue. Our standard is natural sunlight and we try to replicate that in plant but for some issues you need to replicate it with a hand-held light and the Phillips and Nichia seem to work well for me.

drillbit

Newly Enlightened
I definitely prefer neutral, High CRI lights. I currently carry:

1 - HDS Clicky w/Nichia 219 - back pocket
2 - L10c w/Nichia 219 - on keys

3 - EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky w/Nichia 219 - jacket pocket
4 - DQG Tiny Triple XPG2 - Neutral - jacket pocket

recDNA

Flashaholic
I use a neutral (4500k) xml2 from Vinh (actually illumn.com) but I don't have any idea what the CRI is. Guess is around 85. Do you know?