Looking for help with replacing reflectors/ where to find reflector dimensions

Cityus

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully this is in the right place but, I'm attempting to customize a flashlight by removing the traditional reflector and replacing it with a TIR optic/lens to offer an intense hotspot

I was hoping that someone, some where some how has done this and can assist me!!

I would like to find a light that is either 1xAA or 2xAA for this project. (I know some flashlights cannot be dissasembled)

If you have had success with a project similiar to this please share any information you can.

Even if you have knowledge of where I can find production light reflector dimensions that would also be a huge help!

Thanks fellow CPFers:eek:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Afraid it isn't as simple as this. For starters a reflector already creates a hot spot. The size of the hot spot will depend on the size of the LED, the size of the reflector and the size of the reflector in relation to the LED size.

All of this will be true with a TIR.

Optics can also focus the light into different beam patterns. But the actual result might not be as tight a hot spot as you think. The 20mm optics will fit things like mini maglites when converted to use an p60 drop in. I put a 5 degree optic in one last night with an XM-L. 5 degree should be tight focus but it isn't really. Still very floody.

Led Lenser use a TIR. But the also alter the focus to attain the spot beam. Usually as the sacrifice of some atefacts.

A different approach might be to consider an aspheric lens.

Cityus

Newly Enlightened
Afraid it isn't as simple as this. For starters a reflector already creates a hot spot. The size of the hot spot will depend on the size of the LED, the size of the reflector and the size of the reflector in relation to the LED size.

Optics can also focus the light into different beam patterns. But the actual result might not be as tight a hot spot as you think. The 20mm optics will fit things like mini maglites when converted to use an p60 drop in. I put a 5 degree optic in one last night with an XM-L. 5 degree should be tight focus but it isn't really. Still very floody.

Led Lenser use a TIR. But the also alter the focus to attain the spot beam. Usually as the sacrifice of some atefacts.

I've actually owned a couple asphericals and was disappointed as the spot light didn't feel precise? (it was a huge spot rather than an intense focused beam) enough. I like how surefire lights look but really dislike the cr 123a only component.

Don't crush my dreams !!! haha

Cityus

Newly Enlightened

Can you show me a photo of your 5 degree TIR?