Union Carbide rebuild

Ol' Dirty

Newly Enlightened
I found an old Eveready Union Carbide in an antique shop a while ago. As a kid we used to turn off the lights and have flashlight races on the ceiling and this same Union Carbide with the ring on the end cap was the coolest light on the block. This light doesn't work but I'd like to bring it back to life, ideally as a 100 lumen LED. Does anyone know where I could get parts for such an adventure?

Thanks,
OD

IMG_0326_zps55461c1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0327_zpse98fe9c3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of those 3-6d union carbide light, I doubt you'll find parts for it, they are not made for dacades, even when they were made, they were so cheap, no spares were available.
I rebuild mine, basically only left the housing as it was, the rest was replaced, build new internals for head, new switch boot, battery holder, 3 position switch. gave it away to a friend years ago.

P1060348.jpg

Ol' Dirty

Newly Enlightened
88, That's about exactly what I had in mind. Would you mind sharing what parts you did use or where I could get them? I know these are cheap lights but it's just like rebuilding a piece of my youth. I have other better lights for general purpose stuff.

Thanks,
OD

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
sure, the main led is old p7 in 52mm drop in that is sold on DX, KD, and similar sites, but I removed 2,8a driver it came with, and replaced it with 700ma driver (3w). leds around it 5mm warm leds, iirc I wired them in clusters of 2 in series and 10-12 of those clusters in parallel, I used resistor to limit current. I cut out a ring from 1\4 plastic, the main led in the middle, and 5mm are around it, than I cut most of the original reflector off, leaving only front portion, to that I glued the ring with leds, and led module. switch also came from DX, iti s 3 position clicky, iirc 12mm , they used to sell 5 for $3. I only used 1st and 3rd position, so I had off-low-off-high. battery holder is made of radio shack single aa holders glued onto a bread board, also from radio shack, positive and negative ends, are taken from cheap carbon D cell. all glued together with epoxy.

Ol' Dirty

Newly Enlightened
Holy cow, thanks for all the input. I'm more of a mechanical type so I'll have to pick up on the electrical side but this looks like a sweet little project.

Thanks again,
OD