staples exteneded warenty

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i may get it for my canon a70 i usaly would never get it but for 40 bucks it seems worth it the manager says even if i drop it im coevred its adds 2 years seem worth it to you?

notos&w

Enlightened
as a general, statistical matter, extended warranties are not a good idea. ~80% of all money paid goes to the seller's commission, w/ only 7% going to product repairs.

i wouldn't buy it.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Well, I'll chime here to share some wisdom earned over the years relating to service of consumer electronics. As a rule, if you buy extended warranties on all electronic items that have minimal moving parts or motors with each purchase, you will be on the losing end of the deal.

The first thing you have to realize is that if you have a problem with the item during the time period of the manufacturer's warranty, Staples (or any store for that matter) is going to tell you to go away and contact the manufacturer about it, the extended warranty only comes into effect after the manufacturer's warranty expires. Secondly, you need to read the small print of the extended warranty contract. It is usually written in legalese with the intention to confuse the purchaser about what it covered and what isn't. I'll tell you now, if it isn't explicitly written as being covered or else specifically excluded, it isn't covered. I don't know of any company that would allow damage due to being obviously dropped to be fixed for free. They will challenge you and hassle you about it. The guy selling the warranty can say anything about what is covered, because the contract wording is the only thing that will count 380 days from now. When it comes to warranty claims, you will find that this is the case where the customer is always 'wrong'. You wind up having to back up your word and prove yourself if there is any costly repair on the line.

The store distict managers have meetings with store managers and tell them that they don't sell enough extended warranties. Then the store managers have meetings with department managers to stress selling warranties. Then the sales clerks (that is the old-timer word) get hassled about not pushing the warranties hard enough. Then the customers start getting the hard-sell on extended warranties, by some teen-ager that likely has not really read the warranty and is taking somebody else's word for what it covered. The extended warranty is basically just extra profit for the store, with bonuses to the clerks that sell them.

That being said, it often pays to buy service contracts on things like photocopiers and laser printers because they have a lot of moving parts inside that will eventually wear out with use. In the case of those items, the service contract tends to have a one-year term and you have to buy a new contract each year to continue it, because these are higher-maintenance items.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Raggie, If you tend to have problems with stuff get the warranty. My warranty on my Dell Laptop just got me a newer computer because they couldn't fix it. My last newer vehicle I got had the tranny rebuilt and some major engine work done under the extended warranty.
But I (and my family) tend to be hard on things so I often get the warranty. YMMV

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did once buy an extended warranty on a Sony printer bought at Staples. It was part of a kit that included some paper and a USB cable which I needed anyhow so the price was not too bad. I did have a problem with the printer after the original manufacturer's warranty ran out but before the extended warranty did. The warranty was provided by an outside service in which I had to deal with, not Staples but I didn't have any problems with them. I actually just talked with them on the phone and they replaced the printer without even asking me to send the other one back. I did have a digital camera break once, it was the mechanical swivel part of the lens on a Nikon CP990, luckily still under manufacturer's warranty. Overall from what I read once in awhile people have problems with the zoom motor/assembly going bad on digicams.