Flashlight Abrasion Working Case

TitaniumBird

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Fenix UC 35, and while out working last night around some old cars, I realized that I would be much more comfortable if the light was in some kind of case to prevent scratching or abrasion.

Before I spend money on raw materials to make my own, I would like to know if this has been done before, and if so, how.

Here is what I envision would be ideal:
-Something similar to the included carrying case, but with no Velcro strap to close over the top
-The shape would be cylindrical with one end closed
-Long enough to cover the entire length of the light
-Made of some abrasion resistant fabric, such as what the Fenix case is made of.
-maybe some elastic sewn into the fabric to aid in keeping the case snug

If anyone has any ideas/tips/feedback please let me know

Thanks

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Fenix UC 35, and while out working last night around some old cars, I realized that I would be much more comfortable if the light was in some kind of case to prevent scratching or abrasion.

Before I spend money on raw materials to make my own, I would like to know if this has been done before, and if so, how.

Here is what I envision would be ideal:
-Something similar to the included carrying case, but with no Velcro strap to close over the top
-The shape would be cylindrical with one end closed
-Long enough to cover the entire length of the light
-Made of some abrasion resistant fabric, such as what the Fenix case is made of.
-maybe some elastic sewn into the fabric to aid in keeping the case snug

If anyone has any ideas/tips/feedback please let me know

Thanks

I would just use it man. Scratches will happen even in the case(most happen on the sharper machined edges) and the case will add bulk and make handling the light more cumbersome. Any scratches will just be cosmetic and not effect the function of the light at all. Plus, by the time it gets ugly enough that you cant standing using it anymore(if this ever happens) technology will have progressed and you will be able to get twice as bright of a light for half the money. Just use it man its not a piano or Swiss clock, its a tool and specifically designed for hard use environments without any aid. After the first couple scratches you wont care anymore:thumbsup:

If scratching bothers you that much, I would go for an unfinished Titanium or Stainless Steel model next time as they dont show wear near as much.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meanwhile, you can cover your light with a section of a bicycle inner tube.

inner-tube-lights.jpg

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't care about the light, but I would worry for the cars.

There are a few options here, but carefully consider thermal limits of your changes. You really need to protect things from the the "corners" of the light. That's the perimeter of the front bezel and rear tailcap. You could mask the front window and tip the front and back in tooldip, silicone, heatshrink wrap, etc.

Covering much more of the light will limit heat transfer and potentially overheat the light.

TitaniumBird

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys,
Tachead you're right, I just need to break it in. its not very useful if i'm afraid to damage it