Cheap Maglite Solitare LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not want to burst your bubble but your deal is not as sweet as you think.The light in question is at best as bright as a candle on a birthday cake and you could have done much better on other AAA items offered by vendors here and places like Maplins the muppets.

Maglites of today are donkey years out of date and struggling to play catch up but the name itself would send shivers down the spine of the competition if they ever get off there arrogant bottoms and produce something worth buying again.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks but I'm a big maglite fan and at 37 lumens it's plenty bright for my needs. The finish is so nice and a great colour too. What would you recommend? I think at £5ish is a bargain. Not interested in that cheap Chinese tat.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglites were okay, 10 years ago. They're stuck in the past, and way overpriced even at 55% off. Go look at Selfbuilt's flashlight reviews, perhaps the AAA lights, and you'll find way better lights and way better value.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
For an American made light with a keyring, case and battery, I don't think you could find a better deal. Battery will end up leaking by the time it needs wears down by years of intermittent use. Then, call duracell and they'll refund you the price of the light or equivalent in battery coupons. Eneloops might be the way to go.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, for what it's worth:

Just for fun, I would absolutely buy an LED Solitaire at that price.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
37 lumens is the right amount to do whatever you need to do indoors, and look at the immediate ground ahead of you outdoors. In fact I'd say around 30-50 lumens is the ideal lumens for indoor use.

Perhaps what won't be ideal however, is lack of regulation to maintain constant output, or a less than optimal tint and CRI from the light. 6 bucks isn't bad; 25 for a Nichia driven Illumination L10 isn't bad either (even though it's AA.)

TimD

Newly Enlightened
You may want to check with the vendor as I think this is an error as the ref no. K3AFD2 refers to the old 2 lumen incandescent solitaire. See here http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Mag...Midnight-Blue-Solitaire-Maglite-MIB-1AAA-2005

The description doesn't refer to it as an LED solitaire and they have other listings for LED solitaires at much higher prices. Looks like they've cut and pasted the wrong specs.
I could be wrong but £6 for a LED solitaire is a bargain but not for the old 2 Lumen one.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't seem too bad to me. A Streamlight Microstream is about the same size and brightness, and about twice the price too. You do get a clicky and a clip with the Microstream though......

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks but I'm a big maglite fan and at 37 lumens it's plenty bright for my needs. The finish is so nice and a great colour too. What would you recommend? I think at £5ish is a bargain. Not interested in that cheap Chinese tat.

Lol most lights are made in China and few are tat fella.The flea and that other large on-line store cater for the tat part of the market and suck Joe Silly in every minute of the day.I would not recommend anything as you seem happy with your deal and content.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow we found an aaa that angers him even more than the e01 did!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to check with the vendor as I think this is an error as the ref no. K3AFD2 refers to the old 2 lumen incandescent solitaire. See here http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Mag...Midnight-Blue-Solitaire-Maglite-MIB-1AAA-2005

The description doesn't refer to it as an LED solitaire and they have other listings for LED solitaires at much higher prices. Looks like they've cut and pasted the wrong specs.
I could be wrong but £6 for a LED solitaire is a bargain but not for the old 2 Lumen one.

LOL! If that's the case, then it's an incredible rip-off! The old solitaires were crap lights even when they first came out. I'd rather rub 2 sticks together for light than use my old Maglite solitaire.

Why are they even still selling that garbage? Who is buying it??? Old ladies that still think it's 1990?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of the E01 either. I think it's overpriced in today's market, and there is much better value in other AAA lights. However, it's still miles ahead of the Maglite.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
LOL! If that's the case, then it's an incredible rip-off! The old solitaires were crap lights even when they first came out. I'd rather rub 2 sticks together for light than use my old Maglite solitaire.

Why are they even still selling that garbage? Who is buying it??? Old ladies that still think it's 1990?

I scored a few legitimately a couple weeks back for 1$ each...decent but limited platform for vampire mods

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened

I have a horrid feeling that you are right, the ones I have purchased are actually the old 2 lumen units. Only time will tell. But I was sure to check the eBay listing and in the description, it clearly stated LED and 37 lumens. Shall report back.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
For an American made light with a keyring, case and battery, I don't think you could find a better deal. Battery will end up leaking by the time it needs wears down by years of intermittent use. Then, call duracell and they'll refund you the price of the light or equivalent in battery coupons. Eneloops might be the way to go.

I didn't realise that battery companies are willing to do this! Shall investigate.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trying to be clever Richard are we. :p

I'm not a fan of the E01 either. I think it's overpriced in today's market, and there is much better value in other AAA lights. However, it's still miles ahead of the Maglite.

A man with sense.;)

I didn't realise that battery companies are willing to do this! Shall investigate.

Do not believe all the bogey man scare stories about Alkalines leaking.Use common sense and remove a used battery rather than leave it to rot,if you intend not to use your light often use Eneloop rechargeable or Lithium.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Hi, please update us on how the lights behave. I was very excited to buy my LED Solitaire last year and the damn thing turned out to be the most flickery, whimsical and unreliable thing ever. I'll never ever buy a Maglite again.

ShivaYash

Newly Enlightened
I've got one led solitaire already and it's just perfect for my needs. It's grey and lives on my car keys. Running Sanyo Eneloops. A drop of oil (three in one) on the thread is all I've done. I like the wear it has picked up through normal use. Maglite has a great warranty, send it back I say.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not want to burst your bubble but your deal is not as sweet as you think.The light in question is at best as bright as a candle on a birthday cake and you could have done much better on other AAA items offered by vendors here and places like Maplins the muppets.

Maglites of today are donkey years out of date and struggling to play catch up but the name itself would send shivers down the spine of the competition if they ever get off there arrogant bottoms and produce something worth buying again.
Hate to burst your bubble but the LED Solitaire is bloody brilliant. And yes I own lots of AAA lights including a Fenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.