LED lights will illuminate the field in Phoenix for the Super Bowl

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those look like some pretty powerful floods. I can't help but wonder if they're forced air cooled or just passively thru the housing.... which looks like it may be a lil undersized for that amount of LEDs.
Would be nice if we could find solid specs on those!
I'm also wondering what driver type they use, if pwm, will strobing be a factor during gameplay?
I must say, I am excited and I hope this works and becomes common use. Not only for the energy savings but work LED being naturally directional, should cut down some in light pollution.
I'm really surprised to see the wattage difference between old and new systems.
Tnx for the post Photon!

CoveAxe

Enlightened
Those look like some pretty powerful floods. I can't help but wonder if they're forced air cooled or just passively thru the housing.... which looks like it may be a lil undersized for that amount of LEDs.
Would be nice if we could find solid specs on those!

They are right here. Exploded diagram here. They appear to be completely passively cooled. 1000W total power and 115 lumens/watt gives about 500-600 watts of waste heat. The heatsinks they have there are more than enough for that amount of power.

Since these are professional and permanent installations, I think it's a given that they are current driven and won't use PWM as a control method exactly because of the television issues that you describe. PWM is usually used when you need a very cheap and easy way to dim an LED.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those do seem to be impressive specs! I look forward to watching the game and seeing how well they do. Output and efficiency are Def respectable.
The fact that they can be incorporated into the entertainment aspect is very cool! I can already see the headlines
"STROBING STADIUM LIGHTING CAUSES 1000s OF SEIZURES DURING HALFTIME SHOW"
Lol

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those do seem to be impressive specs! I look forward to watching the game and seeing how well they do. Output and efficiency are Def respectable. The fact that they can be incorporated into the entertainment aspect is very cool! I can already see the headlines "STROBING STADIUM LIGHTING CAUSES 1000s OF SEIZURES DURING HALFTIME SHOW" Lol
The ability to bring the house lights all the way down or up on demand is incredible for stage shows. There are a few kinds of lights I remember: High-power actor spots: No dimming, but a moveable shutter to change beam width & intensity Can lights - Filaments, dimming OK, 0-100% takes a few seconds. LED wash - Instant changing & control House lights - High-Bay may not dim

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm wondering if they're going to use any of the "fan effects" during the game. It might make for some disoriented players on the field.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
They are right here. Exploded diagram here. They appear to be completely passively cooled. 1000W total power and 115 lumens/watt gives about 500-600 watts of waste heat. The heatsinks they have there are more than enough for that amount of power.

Since these are professional and permanent installations, I think it's a given that they are current driven and won't use PWM as a control method exactly because of the television issues that you describe. PWM is usually used when you need a very cheap and easy way to dim an LED.

On the exploded diagram, page 2 diagram note 2 they state the fixture uses PWM. I do like the laser aiming,

CoveAxe

Enlightened
On the exploded diagram, page 2 diagram note 2 they state the fixture uses PWM. I do like the laser aiming,

Good catch. Not sure how I missed that. I guess they are just doing it at a really high frequency then, or are doing it at a frequency that doesn't interfere with the video feed. Not sure why they went with that instead of constant current control other than maybe efficiency.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good catch. Not sure how I missed that. I guess they are just doing it at a really high frequency then, or are doing it at a frequency that doesn't interfere with the video feed. Not sure why they went with that instead of constant current control other than maybe efficiency.

maybe to avoid a shift in color?

With all of those LEDs, though, I would have thought they could just shut off a fraction of them to drop the output without having to PWM or adjust the current as much.

black_z

Newly Enlightened
Doing the math, and using even the lowest lm/watt of mh lighting(65 lm/w), the total lumens are gonna be less than half! 80 million versus 36 million

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doing the math, and using even the lowest lm/watt of mh lighting(65 lm/w), the total lumens are gonna be less than half! 80 million versus 36 million
But we don't care about how many lumens are in boxes in the rafters. We only care about the lux (or foot-candles) on the playing field. That's the key metric to compare with these: How much area of the field is lit to playing intensity by a given unit (Watts or $ of lighting).

CoveAxe

Enlightened

I think that's because MH is omnidirectional, so you will have losses from reflective surfaces and light leakage from outside the beam path that are not considered in the efficiency. It's a given that almost all of the light generated by the LED will be in one beam. MH also dims as it ages, so it's likely that they had to overcompensate for that by having a much higher initial lumen output.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
maybe to avoid a shift in color?

With all of those LEDs, though, I would have thought they could just shut off a fraction of them to drop the output without having to PWM or adjust the current as much.

From the images, these LED fixtures appear to be using 4 individual LED panels, probably running high voltage series circuits in each panel, judging by the relatively thin red/black wire at each panel. So, maybe they could only turn off the the panels one by one? 4 steps of brightness. I don't think they could turn off any individual or smaller groups of LEDs.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who haven't done the math:
(312 fixtures)*(115,000 maintained lumens per fixture) = 35,880,000 lumens!

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love just ONE of those fixtures, mounted at the apex of my roof on the back of my house to light my entire yard. Right now I'm just using 6 spotlight bulbs rated for about 1,600 lumens each, and that's decent, but this would be MOARPOWER

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's more detail from their website regarding using the lights for sportcasting:
"Ephesus' patented technology uses extremely-high-frequency pulse-width modulation (PWM) to allow HDTV recording of up to 1,000 frames per second for reduced glare, superior slow motion and flicker-free recording. The Ephesus custom-designed circuitry adjusts the CCT and CRI to quantify the light source for optimizing HD camera telecasting. Pulsing at a much higher frequency than any frame rate used today ensures the highest quality of light for HDTV recording to guarantee an excellent television viewing experience."

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
For those who haven't done the math:
(312 fixtures)*(115,000 maintained lumens per fixture) = 35,880,000 lumens!

I don't know about you guys, but I'd love just ONE of those fixtures, mounted at the apex of my roof on the back of my house to light my entire yard. Right now I'm just using 6 spotlight bulbs rated for about 1,600 lumens each, and that's decent, but this would be MOARPOWER

Imagine how many v54 lights would be needed to do the same thing! Like 1,485 xm18vn!

mds82

Enlightened
I was talking to a friend in the lighting industry about these type of lights recently. They were saying that Cree will soon be releasing a brand new product similar to the Cree MK-R, however it will not have a dome on it. One major application for this is for stadium lighting. Not having the dome will allow for the secondary optics to create a tighter beam pattern. Not sure when these will come out for sure but i'm sure the will have a very high efficiency as well, probably 200 lm/w

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Really good thread
'just 310,000 watts of energy compared to 1.24 million watts needed to power the old system.'

seeing efficiency as an investment:paypal: