MADE IN USA - THROWER - BUG OUT BAG

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got this and it is by far THE BEST FREAKING PURCHASE I have ever made!!!
That said, I need a good thrower, Made in the USA, That uses common Primary cells (AA, AAA or Dual Fuel AA / CR123 ). This light will be stored in a BOB bag, but I also want it as a backup / thrower for night hikes through Zion Canyon. The HDS does everything and honestly I carried ONLY an HDS in Zion with 0 worry, but I need a bombproof thrower to go with. Thoughts?

ALSO: Im excluding the PMX and Furry with AA tube. To heavy, and the other isn't out yet.

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many lights are like that. But it does take cr123's which many lights may not. And if it is to compliment alight like you say the runtimes are not an issue either, especially with the highlow ring too.

tongkang

Newly Enlightened
The HDS170 GDP also a good pair with your 325HDS but If u can find the original EB1..your search is over,I EDC them ( rotary and EB1 ) about a year plus now..imo there is no other like the original EB1 out there..1cell light weight and good looking too:D,try to visit the EB1 thread,I have post some iPhone pic EB1 vs EB2 maybe you got the idea
Add the E2LAA body lego and u done I think

Last edited:

seasam

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff Hound Dog. Case closed.

Based on my experiences with the Wildcat, this is what I would vote for. I don't think the Hound Dog is more suited to 18650 so much as 18650 provide longer run times. A solid 45 minutes regulated on 4x123s seems pretty good to me :shrug: Maybe get some delrin sleeves if the 123s are rattling in the malkoff body?

I'm not sure what else would be a good option? Something from Surefire? :duck:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Hound Dog.
You might check with Gene about the ability of the HD 18650 to use a pair of CR123. The specs say it can take six volts.
If that is so, it gives longer throw(29000 lux) by a little bit, but I don't know about the run time on 2xCR123. You could ask Gene.

Anyway, the regular XML2 Hound Dog is plenty good, and is definitely the ticket for a precision quality American made general purpose thrower that is military grade rugged.
I say general purpose because the beam is not a dedicated thrower kind of beam, but it reaches out there pretty good. It's a very good light.
And the price is VERY good for what you get. High value for money.

If you get into the Malkoff stuff, and get a few different bodies and heads, you can get a lot of versatility with "Lego"-ing the stuff around to get the size and run times you want with the different length bodies.
Also, the Malkoff tail threads are Surefire 6-series compatible, which means you can put an Oveready Triad tail on there, which is VERY sexy looking on these lights.

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the Hound Dog is at all "better suited" for 18650s. One of the most popular configurations is the 3 cell tube which many (my self included) argue is the perfect size. Also, considering many folks wanted a version that was more 18650 compatible, and that Gene released one recently (the Hound Dog 18650) which has a different driver that will accommodate a single 18650 (whereas the original won't) I think I've made a strong case for it being a cr123 light.

Now if your argument is that it has more runtime on 2 x 18650 than 4 x cr123, I would say that is going to be true of every light out there. That's why many consider it a bonus that the HD will accept 18650s.

At the end of the day, Gene's lights are probably the only other lights around here available "off the shelf" that have a similar reputation for toughness and performance as your HDS, and the Hound Dog is an awesome thrower with a useful beam, a perfect UI, and it will run like hell on CR123a.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
USA you say? What about a McGizmo Makai with the various clicky packs???

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280795-Titanium-Makai

:broke:

@ everyone - I like the Hound Dog, the reason I pointed to the link was the run graph (obviously)... what Im saying is look at those lines. The 18650 is superior in the wave department.

So I run an MD4 Hound Dog 4 x cr123 and Im looking @ 30 Minutes of regulation correct?

EDIT: It only drops to about 25% on the first dip... Thats still 250 of throw then it climbs back.... Maybe the M4 Dog is the one.

Whats the runtime on low with the hi / low ring? Also, can somone dial me in on runtime on high on 4 x cr123, I feel Im short.

Last edited:

seasam

Newly Enlightened
:broke:

@ everyone - I like the Hound Dog, the reason I pointed to the link was the run graph (obviously)... what Im saying is look at those lines. The 18650 is superior in the wave department.

So I run an MD4 Hound Dog 4 x cr123 and Im looking @ 30 Minutes of regulation correct?

I see 45+ minutes of regulated run time on 4x123. Are we looking at the same graph? :thinking:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see 45+ minutes of regulated run time on 4x123. Are we looking at the same graph? :thinking:

Nope. I am looking at my graph. My eyes keep seeing that green line, I was half asleep.

Looks pretty good, considering in a Canyon run roll, it would mostly be in bursts of a few minutes each rather that a straight run through.

The 325 will cover the trail, the thrower peaking off the cliffs... I like it.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just when I thought you were wising up, you start looking at that China stuff again.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just when I thought you were wising up, you start looking at that China stuff again.

Easy does it. Also "again" have you read my posts? USA.

I was colored impress after Shot Show...... I had the opportunity of a new perspective to take into consideration.

I may not show it but I am very familiar with other Malkoff models, just not the throwers in general.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy does it. Also "again" have you read my posts? USA.

I was colored impress after Shot Show...... I had the opportunity of a new perspective to take into consideration.

I may not show it but I am very familiar with other Malkoff models, just not the throwers in general.

Okay, I retract the "again".

There is no shortage of Chinese lights that have all kinds of features and bells and whistles, and have long throw or big flood lumens or whatever.
If you want to know about Chinese lights, just look at the forum, where significant numbers of threads about all brands of Chinese lights being DOA or breaking, or not working right, of LEDs falling out, or people want to know how to send them back to China for warranty, etc, etc, etc. There are just a few big flashlight factories in China, and all the brands are made there with different brand names printed on them, along with all the Ultrafire and Songfire and Glistening Moon Worm Fire(LOL!) or whatever, right next to them.

See any threads like that about Malkoff lights?
Nope.
Case closed.

The HD is not a great thrower compared to many throwers out there. But it's a great light that can throw far enough to be useful in that role for most applications.
If you need a serious life/death light for your bug out bag in dire emergency, you don't really need to be looking at ANYTHING from China.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no shortage of Chinese lights that have all kinds of features and bells and whistles, and have long throw or big flood lumens or whatever.
If you want to know about Chinese lights, just look at the forum, where significant numbers of threads about all brands of Chinese lights being DOA or breaking, or not working right, of LEDs falling out, or people want to know how to send them back to China for warranty, etc, etc, etc. There are just a few big flashlight factories in China, and all the brands are made there with different brand names printed on them, along with all the Ultrafire and Songfire and Glistening Moon Worm Fire(LOL!) or whatever, right next to them.

See any threads like that about Malkoff lights?
Nope.
Case closed.

Well, not quite. Many more people have Chinese lights than Malkoffs, as they are typically more affordable. There are also plenty of examples of China-manufactured lights taking epic abuse, too, so it isn't nearly as one-sided as you suggest.

I'm not disputing that USA-made lights are generally higher-quality. Not because China can't make excellent products, but because in many cases manufacturing in China is done to save costs, and that often (but not always) means compromising on reliability or durability. But I wish people would stop painting with such a broad brush (Armytek is NOT equivalent to Ultrafire, just as Elzetta is not equivalent to Princeton Tec).

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I need a good thrower, Shipped to the USA, That uses common Primary cells (AA, AAA or Dual Fuel AA / CR123 )."

There fixed it for you! :twothumbs:crackup: