Need help with Repairs to my NITECORE PD D11 R5 V.2

lelu5

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

It's my first post to the forums but have been reading posts for years.

Here is my problem with the flashlight.

I have a NITECORE PD D11 R5 v.2

The flashlight will not go brighter than a low/medium brightness. (scale of 1-10, 1= dim, 10=super bright, the flashlight will only go up to 3/4 out of 10)

After 2-3 seconds, the flashlight suddenly drops to super low lumens and holds at the dimmest visible.

My friend and I have tried every reset, fresh batteries and nothing works.

My friend has the previous model D10 and his works flawlessly.

I'm looking for someone on the forums to send my flashlight to for inspection and repairs if possible.

I would also like to make it a 2 stage (HIGH / dim / OFF Settings)

If not, then High / Off is good.

Please recommend me someone I can send it to.

I already contacted Nitecore and they said it's too old to warranty. (it's less than 2 years since i've had it)

Thank you

LedTed

Enlightened
Although you tried fresh batteries, the dim light could still be a battery problem. Did you try any of your batteries in your friend's D10?

Lithium466

Enlightened
Hi,

replacing the driver in these lights can be difficult (at least sourcing a viable replacement), but maybe it can be fixed. Where do you live?

lelu5

Newly Enlightened
Hi LedTed

Yes, We are using the same brand DURACELL ULTRA POWER AA Batteries.
They came from the same LOT and have expirations of March 2018.

I gave him the batteries! lol

The problem with the flashlight is beyond batteries, it's most likely internal.

Hi Lithium466

I live in the Anaheim, California area.

My friend mentioned the same thing about the flashlight, that the driver might be bad.

Unfortunately the manufacturer, Nitecore, will not honor the warranty, even though I have my original package and warranty!

Thanks

Lithium466

Enlightened
Sorry, I thought I recognised your nickname from another place, but obviously not.. I thought you live much closer to me :) (I'm in Europe).

First, be sure all the moving part (electronic contact, spring, etc) are clean. Does the led looks darker than before? Does it happened suddenly?

lelu5

Newly Enlightened
It's ok.

What part of Europe are you from? I'm always fascinated about where people are from and how the internet brings us so close with technology.

I checked everything... all contacts are clean and free of any dirt and debris.

LED is still clean and white

I didn't use the flashlight for a while, it was stored with NO battery inside.

I am not technically trained on repairing flashlights, so I was looking for someone to help. If not, i'm throwing it away in the trash.

swan

Banned
It might be the brass contact ring inside the light above the driver. It is a split brass ring with spring that makes contact with the piston for the ramping mode , it can get sticky and not pop up squarely.If you press it up and down to ensure free movement and it pops up correctly it should work. It sounds light the contact ring is stuck or dirty causing it to ramp back down- just a thought.

Lithium466

Enlightened
I'm (unfortunately) in France, grumpy people there...
+ 1 with the brass ring that may be stucked.

It may also be a bad led, it happened to me, only gave "moonlight".