Jetbeam RRTO-XML worked for 2 minutes

ZeusC6

Newly Enlightened
I recently was given the RRT0 as a gift. On the first day i took it to work, I was showing some people how bright this little bugger was and how well it seemed to be made. It was on for maybe 2 minutes in duration
Met someone else an hour later and I pulled it out and tried to turn it on and nothing, I could right see into the cree and see a faint barely lit led.

I don't know what to do, I tested the battery and it measured 3v, no surprise there, again, it was on less than two minutes.
So I need to ship this back to the mfg for warranty and I don't want to ask the giver as I don't want them to be embarrassed that it pooped on me so quickly.

Jetbeam website has an international number...

Does anyone know how to contact Jetbeam?

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try tightening the tailcap ring. It is the silver ring with 2 little holes.
If that does not work try taking the tailcap off and connecting a paper clip from the negative of the battery to the bare threads.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy ZeusC6, and welcome to CPF,
It could be several things. Let's start with the battery. What kind of battery is it? Do you know if it's a primary, CR123, or a rechargeable, RCR123? It's quite possible that the battery was old and simply doesn't have enough juice to power the light.

You can find CR123 batteries at most camera stores, but they tend to be expensive ($8), so before getting a new one, you want to clean all the electrical contact surfaces in the light. It's easy, and will only take a few minutes, and you probably have everything you need right around the house.

Electrical contact cleaner is best, but if you don't have any, then look for some isopropyl rubbing alcohol in your medicine cabinet. Also get some Q-tips. It's best if you do this while sitting at the kitchen table. Clear an area and put down a soft towel to put the light on. Unscrew the light where you put in the battery and take out the battery. If you have a battery tester or mulit-meter, then test the battery. If not, continue to the cleaning.

The idea here is to be careful and NOT drip any cleaner down into the light where it could get into the electronics. Now, look down into the flashlight and locate the positive contact. It will be right smack dab in the center. Put a little cleaner on a Q-tip and hold the light face up, with the opening of the tube facing down, then put the Q-tip down inside and clean that center contact.

Now, take another Q-tip, put cleaner on it, and clean the spring in the tailcap. You don't have to be quite so careful here, just clean the spring. At the same time, check that ring for tightness that FlashKat mentioned. It's a little silver ring that runs around the outside down inside the tailcap. You can use a pair of scissors to put into the two notches and turn clockwise to make sure it's tight.

Also, clean that area with a Q-tip and cleaner. Now, clean the end of the battery tube on the main flashlight body, where the threads are. One the very end, it should be shiny, and that is where the electrical connection is made with the tailcap when it's all screwed together.

Finally, clean both ends of the battery. Now, put the battery back in, with the positive end going up into the light, then put the tailcap back on and tighten down well. Hopefully that fixed things.

By the way, if you don't have any electrical contact cleaner of isopropyl alcohol, then just use a clean lint free piece of cloth to clean those areas as best you can. Believe it or not, a clean pencil eraser will work in a pinch.

Let us know if any of this helps. If not, we'll try a few more things. Good luck.

ZeusC6

Newly Enlightened
Ok, just to update...
this is a brand new light with almost zero hours on it.
its a CR123a lithium Duracell and I metered it at 3 volts. I also ordered and received 12 new cr123a's from battery junction. I swapped out the Duracell with a titanium innovations measuring in at 3 volts as well. Same amount of output. Barely dim like an almost cooked battery.
I'll try anything but I was trying to see if someone had an 800# to jetbeam or how to contact them for repair. They have an international number which for some reason I can't call and by email which kicked back as not there.
I'm sure if I contacted and told them its new with this problem they would fix it.

ZeusC6

Newly Enlightened
I removed the tailcap/body and connected like you said.... same output using 3 different batteries measuring 3.0 volts

ZeusC6

Newly Enlightened
If that does not work try taking the tailcap off and connecting a paper clip from the negative of the battery to the bare threads.

Capolini

Banned
Unfortunately Jetbeam does NOT have an 800 number. You need to find out where your friends got it and send it back. Things happen, your friends did nothing wrong and had no way of knowing that this appears to be a defective light.

Did you try tightening the retaining ring[Silver ring w/ Two holes inside tail cap] in the tail cap and the other suggestions mentioned?

ZeusC6

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately Jetbeam does NOT have an 800 number. You need to find out where your friends got it and send it back. Things happen, your friends did nothing wrong and had no way of knowing that this appears to be a defective light.

Did you try tightening the retaining ring[Silver ring w/ Two holes inside tail cap] in the tail cap and the other suggestions mentioned?
I took the tailcap body off and connected the negative side of the battery to the upper body where the adjustment ring is. So basically eliminated the tailcap and retaining ring. I guess what your thinking is there's a problem in the end switch? Same result though, very dim cree...

I can't even get a valid email address from Jetbeam let alone an 800 number. :thumbsdow

Seriously how does one go about getting a Jetbeam repaired??? This is crazy!!!:hairpull:
How do they stay in business?

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
This is a magnetic ring light. Try turning the silver ring on the head rapidly in either direction. Also, try passing a stronger neo magnet around the head area and see if the output fluctuates. My rrt0 did the same thing when i first got it...then it suddenly started working again after a short rest. Do you carry any magnets near the light?

Last edited:

ZeusC6

Newly Enlightened
This is a magnetic ring light. Try turning the silver ring on the head rapidly in either direction. Also, try passing a stronger neo magnet around the head area and see if the output fluctuates. My rrt0 did the same thing when i first got it...then it suddenly started working again after a short rest. Do you carry any magnets near the light?
I tried the turning the silver ring rapidly in both directions. same result...
Whats a neo magnet and if I get one the head area is where, by the lens?

ZeusC6

Newly Enlightened
Neodymium magnet. Just pass it very close around the silver ring until you feel the magnetic tug...do this with the light on so you can see if the output changes

can I use any magnet?

ZeusC6

Newly Enlightened
Yes. As long as you can feel the pull or push of the other magnet in the ring, it should work.

Update!!
Ok, so after comprehending what dc38 was saying I began to understand what may have happened. I tried to rotate the ring back and forth quickly which didn't work but I did notice something... the dim led did change a wee bit in intensity. dc seemed to indicate that because of the Magnetic type switch adjustment ring that something get askew. The fix was to get a magnet and run it around the outside of the ring to bring the magnet back to into place.
All I did was while having the light on... I began tapping the light by the ring against a very hard rubber surface. Well don't you know on the 3rd tap...viola! The beam came on with its full intensity and has stayed that way since!
Thank you so much dc38! A quick lesson on how the mag switch works fixed the problem!!!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is very cool that you were able to fix it like that with dc38's push in the right direction. Thanks for letting us know!