Road Trip through Ohio in May. Want input.

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Hi:

My wife and I are driving to Illinois from Connecticut via I-80 for a wedding in late May. We want to break the trip into two days so we can "see America". Ideally, we want to find an interesting area to stop over somewhere between Akron and Toledo since the midpoint of the trip appears to fall in that area. Any suggestions?

Chris

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Nothing to see in northern Ohio, move along. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

For a more interesting trip come to Michigan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Instead of traveling I-80 both ways make one of the trips through Ontario. I've traveled between Hartford and Detroit several times and I always take the shortcut through Canada via Buffalo and Detroit.

By going this route you can travel in a foreign country and see the one interesting thing that Detroit has to offer, The Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village. This is well worth the detour.

The only things I can think of right now between Toledo and Akron are Put-in Bay and Cedar Point. Cedar Point has the best roller coaster's in the world.

Maybe the The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

If you want to go south to I-70 Wright-Patterson has an excellent Air Force museum.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The Air Force Museum is something you wouldn't want to miss. It takes a whole day to see it though. More, if you are really into it. It has two IMAX theaters. At least it did in '95.
oldgrandpajack

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Throwing wood on the fire...

On your way to Ohio, if you can get away towards Gettysburg, Pennsylvania...The Gettysburg Battlefield Tours are AMAZING and EDUCATIONAL!! YES!!

Cedar Point Amusement Park (may be called something else now?) - Toledo, Ohio - (they struggle back and forth with other amusement parks for the world's fastest, longest, highest or some other title roller coasters!!) YES!!

U.S. Air Force Museum (Dayton, Ohio)!! YES!!

If you can get away up towards Detroit, Michigan...The Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village!! YES!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A word of caution...

I don't know how it is today, but there was a time when you could walk across Ohio on State Troopers without ever touching the ground!!!

Drive safely and STAY NEAR the speed limit!!!

I will also third or forth a recommendation to see the Airforce Museum!!!! AWESOME (and this was back in the late 80's!).

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Air Force Museum is great, but it is a long ways from I-80. If you were travelling through on I-70 you could stop in and see me since I only live 2 miles off the freeway, but I digress. Lake Erie is very close to I-80, and there are many wonderful places to stop along the lake. I'd even suggest getting off the freeway and driving along the lake if you have time. We did that last summer and had a great time doing it. I believe Brightguy's business is located in Northern Ohio, you might want to stop in and check out his operation.

-Keith

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I don't know how it is today, but there was a time when you could walk across Ohio on State Troopers without ever touching the ground!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
My experience has been that they take the speed limit very seriously in Ohio. Of course having Michigan plates probably didn't help us any! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Pat

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. The museums sound like a neat idea. A stroll through one or two of them after a good night's sleep will break up the monotony of the road.

I did the same route 10 years ago but the thought of driving 15 hours straight has lost its appeal. (I think the 26 hour drive to Miami did me in!)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
A word of caution...

I will also third or forth a recommendation to see the Airforce Museum!!!! AWESOME (and this was back in the late 80's!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup I concure they are real (Insert 4 letter work here) and they even make you pay the ticket on the spot or take a trip to the court house with them. I will go out of my way to not drive in Ohio.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
NeonLights said:
I believe Brightguy's business is located in Northern Ohio, you might want to stop in and check out his operation.

-Keith

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, he's in Cleveland (well, eastern suburbs). It's technically not a walk-in retail store, but if you call ahead and ask him nicely, he'll allow you to pop in. He might even let you play with some of his lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif