Finicky Fenix E05

paratrooper

Newly Enlightened
I have an E05 that rides on my keychain. I've had it for 2-3 years and it's been indispensable during those times when I needed a small torch. Lately, turning it on has been a problem. It I give it a twist, the light comes on then goes out until I back the cap back a hair. Once I find the sweet spot the light works fine. I cleaned the contact with alcohol and put some lube on the O ring but that wasn't the problem. I thought I had a spare O ring but I don't have one the exact size.

Has anyone experienced this problem with this nifty little torch?

andy

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Can you inspect the contact surface on the circuit board inside the head. I have seen that area wear down through the gold metal to the fiberglass. Is this a heavily used light?

R1-Dave

Newly Enlightened
I have three of them and one did that as well. I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol, cleaned and lubed the threads and it's better now. Still not perfect but better.

paratrooper

Newly Enlightened
Can you inspect the contact surface on the circuit board inside the head. I have seen that area wear down through the gold metal to the fiberglass. Is this a heavily used light?

Thanks Otis. I'd have to say it has moderate to heavy use over the years I've had it. I looked at the circuit board with a loop and it seems fine, there are a few very very light scuffs on it but it in intact throughout the whole circle.

chazz

Enlightened
Had mine a couple years, still works good.

You have tried different batteries I suppose?

Ever run alkaline cells in it, possible leak, corrosion at spring end?

This is the single mode version correct?

Might clean all contacts again just to make sure, including +/- contacts in head, spring, battery +/- that you are using, top edge of light body (that is the - to head)

Disclaimer: If you screw it up, it's not my fault :) hehe
Inspect the spring and make sure nothing is wonky with that, might even put a battery in there and check voltage through light body with DMM to make sure its making contact... (if that makes sense). You might very carefully see if you can tell if the driver board/emitter pill is loose, if it is, you could try to tighten it (again very carefully).

They are a fairly simple light, so if all contacts are good, battery is good, and the pill is not loose, not sure what else to suggest. Is it out of warranty?

paratrooper

Newly Enlightened
Had mine a couple years, still works good.

You have tried different batteries I suppose?

Ever run alkaline cells in it, possible leak, corrosion at spring end?

This is the single mode version correct?

Might clean all contacts again just to make sure, including +/- contacts in head, spring, battery +/- that you are using, top edge of light body (that is the - to head)

Disclaimer: If you screw it up, it's not my fault :) hehe
Inspect the spring and make sure nothing is wonky with that, might even put a battery in there and check voltage through light body with DMM to make sure its making contact... (if that makes sense). You might very carefully see if you can tell if the driver board/emitter pill is loose, if it is, you could try to tighten it (again very carefully).

They are a fairly simple light, so if all contacts are good, battery is good, and the pill is not loose, not sure what else to suggest. Is it out of warranty?

Thanks Chazz: I've tried other enloops with the same results. It's never had an alkaline battery in it so not a leak issue. Everything is clean including the spring and top portion of the barrel. Yes, it is the single mode version and it is way out of warranty I'm assuming. There is good voltage between the + end of the cell and the top of the barrel but since the light works fine once I find that sweet spot I had already ruled that out. I checked with a needle and the contact board is tight as well.

It's really not the end of the world as I can still use the torch, I was just wondering if anyone had seen and diagnosed this issue in the past.