Stocking up on Eneloop Pros, advice?

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
Looking to stock up on AA and AAA Eneloop Pros. Any advise before I do this? Looking at Batteryjunction for the lowest price and best delivery and no counterfeits. (sorry about the sp error in the title).

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Stocking up on Envelop Pros, advice?

If you don't need the extra capacity, I'd look at the 4th generation Eneloops. The Pros are rated for 500 recharge cycles while the 4th generation cells are rated for 2100 cycles.

Battery Junction does well on pricing. Wait till they have another 20% off sale then stock up. Either that or purchase what you need now and add cells as the money allows.

Also, don't forget to get a couple of chargers. The Maha C9000 allows for testing of the cell capacity as well as conditioning. Only issue is that you can only charge 4 cells at a time. The Maha C801 or Maha C808 charges 8 cells at a time.

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened

If you don't need the extra capacity, I'd look at the 4th generation Eneloops. The Pros are rated for 500 recharge cycles while the 4th generation cells are rated for 2100 cycles.

Battery Junction does well on pricing. Wait till they have another 20% off sale then stock up. Either that or purchase what you need now and add cells as the money allows.

Also, don't forget to get a couple of chargers. The Maha C9000 allows for testing of the cell capacity as well as conditioning. Only issue is that you can only charge 4 cells at a time. The Maha C801 or Maha C808 charges 8 cells at a time.

Personally, I don't know if I will ever get to 2100 cycles, let alone 500. I seem to like the more powerful batteries and flashlights. More fun. One question: with NiMH, do I really need to discharge and condition the NEW Envelops? Or can I just go with the D4 and D2 chargers that I already have (I think they charge, but don't discharge or condition). I am placing these batteries in two locations, so I would have to buy two new battery chargers....

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

To start off i don't condition Eneloops, simple charge, discharge and recharge tests come up within 92% of it's total capacity. Regular use will bring the cells up further without having to go through full discharges, just charge them up and use them in your device. You can even use them right out of the packaging. Most cells have about 70% charge.

As for high capacity cells, though i haven't used Eneloop Pros (or Duraloops) in the fashion i discharge them fully. In fact all my main cells are basic Eneloops, i haven't needed to get new AAA cells (just bought some AAA Eneloop Pro, for high capacity AAA cells) but i generally use the high capacity cells as emergency usage, carry a set of regular AA/AAA cells and have the Pros/Duraloops as backups. I generally recharge cells when they are about 1.24-1.26v to extend the life of the cells instead of discharging them below 1.20 volts. So i'm pretty sure the Pros will last a really long time around 7-10+ years before they develop high-IR. If you think you won't go through all 500 cycles within that amount of time, the Pros will do just fine. Otherwise for basic heavy duty use the standard Eneloops will get through 7-10 years before the need to get new ones again.

I actually need a marker that can label the pros since they come in black, maybe red or yellow maybe?

tandem

Enlightened

If you can't manage to discharge them fully in flashlights ;) ... give them to some kids with xbox controllers. Those things do a very good job of draining 2xAA cells.

No, you don't *have* to condition new Eneloops to get lots of use and enjoyment out of them.

A charger with discharge / cycle /conditioning capability can be left off the shopping list for down the road. These features are very handy as you can see if you have cells that are under performing and then recondition them, usually with good or excellent results. You will eventually want to do this... but you don't need to be so equipped on day one.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been using Amazon Basics 2400 mAh LSD AAs for several months now, and they seem to be great. One set I have in my EA41 is on its fifth or sixth recharge cycle, with no discernible changes. My personal opinion is that they are private label Pros, and others have expressed the same idea. I have been getting them for about $20 for eight AA, but I see they have gone up a dollar or two since I bought my last set. I usually run them down to about 1.0v, then recharge in my i4 v2 charger.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I, too, don't expect to ever come close to 500 cycles, so I choose to use the Pros for the additional capacity.

As mentioned above, AmazonBasics 2400mAh (the ones that are Made In Japan) are believed to be re-badged Eneloop Pros, as are Duracell Ion Core; both of these options offer full Eneloop Pro quality at significantly reduced pricing!