Thrunite 2A V2, VERY DISAPPOINTED

Berneck1

Enlightened
I contacted Thrunite about the problem I am having with battery drain from the off position on the Neutron 2A V2. After several emails, they confirmed that the batteries will drain FROM THE OFF POSITION within one to two weeks. They also claimed that it says in the manual to remove the batteries when not in use for this reason. I don't have the manual anymore, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on their website. Can anyone confirm that is says this?

Is it just me or is this very bad for a flashlight at this level? I have never had a flashlight of any kind that drained the batteries like this. Even my kid's cheap plastic flashlights last for months with generic alkalines. At a minimum I should expect months, but at this price I should expect at least a year.

Also, since this is "normal" function by their admission, I have no recourse to return it. I guess I'll just have to disengage the head so the batteries don't drain, and will just have to remember to twist the head when I use it. Unfortunately it will be retired from my nightstand and to the closest as an extra flashlight if I need it. I need a flashlight that will give me light without having to think about engaging the head.....

This was by far the most useful AA light I have ever owned. It puts out an astonishing amount of light for a 2xAA flashlight, and has 5 very well spaced levels of light with excellent run times. The user interface was excellent, you could get to firefly or turbo from the off position....extremely useful. It's also configurable to 1xAA and takes a 14500 battery! It's certainly at the forefront of AA lights, but for this glaring problem.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that they tell you this. Sounds fishy, I went to the factory website and read the specs. I found that if you are running it in the 2 AA config they claim "Moonlight(0.04 lumens/25 days)" run time. I find it strange that it would have a longer run time on Moonlight mode than off? I would call and point that out to them. Curious to hear their response?

kj2

Flashaholic
Drained empty in two weeks?? Wauw, that's fast! IMO that's not normal at all. I do 'soft' lock-out most of my lights when not in use, but never the lights I grab at night. One of them is the Olight S15. Have it running with a extension tube, so I can run 2x AA. Running Eneloops and only charging the batteries about two times a year.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Clearly they are probably trying to get out of taking it back. This is a defect, plain and simple. I'm going to talk to Amazon. The more I think about it, the more I don't want to give Thrunite my money. I have five other lights from them, and have no issue, but this is inexcusable,

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like they're ducking the warranty claim, kinda like the car manufacturers that deem 1 quart of oil consumption per 1000 miles is "within spec" ;). I'm not surprised :(.

I have one (of the first public batch) and the manual says nothing about parasitic drain, removing the battery, or even the lock-out. My sample does not seem to have any unusual parasitic drain, and I EDC'd it for a while with ~2 week charge cycles on an AW IMR14500 (I don't lock-out while EDCing).

I like the light and it has one of the best UIs of the electronic clickies I own, but mine is mostly a shelf queen, and I don't think I'll be buying TNs any more. TN's typical 100-200x mode spacing between firefly and low just never works for 90% of my usage, and their specs have moved to flea-bay (eg, they claimed ~800 lumen-hours efficiency on low, and I get about a quarter that - 200 lm-hrs is actually fine but the specs are badly exaggerated). I prefer companies with more integrity (marketing, warranty and CS, which I find tend to be related).

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you read discussion threads about complaints of lights not working or poor quality construction and or poor QC from China, which are common on this site, it is very common for Chinese light makers to try to duck out of warranty claims with poor excuses, hoping you will give up and go away.

I would keep this thread going, and make it visible enough for the maker to see it, and that is when they usually will come slinking out of their closet and warranty the light.

On the other hand, you might take a look at some other light makers who are renowned for their customer service, such as Malkoff(even though it is almost never needed because his lights don't break much). Something to think about.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's BS. Parasitic drain is normal for lights with electronic switches, but it's usually less than 30uA, which gives you years before draining batteries. If yours drains in 2 weeks, it's using 6000uA of current for the parasitic drain. That's not normal. There's a problem with the electronics in the light.

Maybe it's not worth returning if everything else is working, but that's up to you.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another issue with Thrunite. I think people would have a lot less issues if they would just avoid Thrunite and Nitecore(just to list a couple of common problem companies). Both constantly have design issues/flaws/oversights, quality control issues, poor customer service, exc. You see it every week on this site and others, constant problems with these brands. Yet people just disregard this and keep buying them like hypnotized sheep. Its pretty funny actually.

People need to start not buying products from shady companies as buying from them just enables them and allows them to get away with these issues. If everyone stopped buying Nitecore for instance, they would have to improve or they would go out of business.

Reward good companies with business and punish bad companies by not giving them our money. That is what will give us better lights and more accountable companies people:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
Wow! I'm surprised to see a post from the David, director/CEO of Thrunite. Guess it's a good sign. Cheers ;)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have three of these lights. I returned one to Amazon because it was so flakey. The other two were fine as long as I used them in either 2AA mode, or one lithium ion cell. On one NIMH, the light would sometimes just come on in low until I would lock it out, then unlock it, or removing and reinstalling the battery. Plus turbo mode NEVER comes on using a single NIMH. Right now one of mine is using a 3.6v lithium and I have the other using 3 NIMH AA's! They still will sometimes mess up, but just enough to be annoying!! I would not stop this from buying any more TN lights though. I have two Archers, and they are some of the most solid lights I own! The Archers and 2A's look like they were made by a different company. I also just bought a TN4A and really like it, even though it has a few flaws.