ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *NEW* Sunwayman P25C 1000 Lumens

Banned

Default Re: *NEW* Sunwayman P25C 1000 Lumens

Great review!!.ohh,that is right I am NOT RYP and this is not SB'S thread!!

Nice light!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryp View Post
    I was trying to be funny! Maybe it was a rare failure on my part!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/ha...y-emoticon.gif

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 02-03-2015 at 03:33 AM.

I found it funny

Looks nice. Could have a better low for EDC-ing

Nice design but not really special to me.

Seems like a "me too" light. Following the same format of the PD35 and all the other ones that I can't remember now. I guess you can buy the same light from whatever brand you like the most.

Quote Originally Posted by redtruck View Post
    I guess you can buy the same light from whatever brand you like the most.
    Yeah, and I think that is a good thing. Each one is a little bit different...and having a choice is always nice.

Flashaholic*

I really like all the Sunwayman's I have. And, this format -- 25mm 18650 light -- is one of my very faves. Would have liked for Sunwayman to use their ace-in-the-hole, the ring, rather than following everyone else with a side switch. But, still nice!

Three blinky modes??!? I can understand a strobe for that kind of light but three seems like overkill. I would rather have a .3~.5 sub-lumen mode and a 25~30 lumen mode instead. A clip that can secure the light to a ball cap might have served better instead of a head band strap, then sell the strap as an accessory. Would like to see more of that type of light with stainless steel on both ends of the light and the switch on the tail cap. But that is a different topic entirely.

1000 lumens only when using Cr123?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by incd View Post
    1000 lumens only when using Cr123?
    I saw that, pretty sure it's just a typo or bad organization on the spec sheet

Ordered this light today for less than 50 bucks! Will have it next week I love Sunwayman! Yes I am pretty sure its 1000 lumens on CR123's which to me is just fine. The light looks typical Sunwayman sophisticated love the polished stainless bezel...cant wait

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Talmadge View Post
    I saw that, pretty sure it's just a typo or bad organization on the spec sheet
    According to Customer Service Representative from SUNWAY OPTO-ELECTRONIC GROUP, the P25C will reach turbo mode by using either CR123A batteries or 18650, their website indicates the battery they use to test the output and runtime (CR123)

Last edited by LAMPARITA; 02-27-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Had my P25C a few days now. Build quality and anodizing are perfect. Good tailswitch and surprising nice soft rubber feeling side switch which is recessed into the body of the light enough to make feeling for it easier bare handed but could be an issue with gloves on. Heatsink design around the side switch prevents rolling. The light can tailstand.

The only cost cutting I can see done in order to give such a well made and very nice overall light for what I can tell is averaging under $50 is that first the light does not come with a sheath which was disappointing. Second there is no anti glare coating on the lens.

Beam profile is almost exactly the same as what comes out of my 2015 P12. Running my P25C on 2xCR123's as the manual is a bit vague as to which source produces what output. Im sure testing will be done on the forums to tell weather specs are what Sunwayman claims but my copy of the light to my eyes seems to be what is claimed by specs.

So for now the P25C seems to be an incredible bargain mine cost less than the P12 and the TN12, has a nicer build quality than those two lights but at the cost of a sheath and anti glare coating.

Just purchased the P25C today from an authorized US Sunwayman Dealer on eBay, he's selling them for $40 and free shipping. I guess for the price I paid, it really doesn't matter to me if there's no anti-glare coating on the lens or if it comes without the sheath.

P25C output:
    Turbo: 1000 lumens, High: 300, Mid: 137, Low: 84

This is not a very good spacing in my opinion.......specifically between Mid and Low. The Mid and Low will not look much different . Low needs to be 10 lumens or lower. I'm passing on this.

I'm kinda torn on this one. Shame about the anti-glare coating, but I can live with that. I do not care about holsters as I have so many spares taking up space it's not even funny anymore. Why buy a pocket sized light if not to carry in a pocket? But anyway... The mode spacing does look pretty crap, but the 84 lumen mode should be quite versatile and gives pretty good runtime, so the other modes might not be too important most of the time. 10 lumens instead of the 137 mode would be nice for a future iteration.

Now, all that aside, I like me that heatsink and side button design. Excellent balancing of ergonomics and engineering. Or so it looks anyway. It's hard to know if the larger heatsink is any more efficient than say, a P12, or how good the button is, or the UI, without handling one.

To those who have one, what is the UI on this? Is the side button just a mode switch like the P12 and E35, or can it be used for on/off as well?

Upon closer inspection my P25C does indeed have a glare coated lens although for some reason there is no mention of this in the manual or on the SWMN site. The side switch is made of a very nice feeling soft to the touch material and is recessed into the body by about a millimeter. User interface is pretty much the same as the P12 with the lights 3 blinking modes accessible through long pressing the side switch the side switch does not turn the light on or off. The tail switch noticeably wider than the rest of the class.

Been "field testing" the P25C nightly here outside Washington DC and so far I am pretty impressed. A lot of thought clearly went into the ergonomic design of the light. The in hand feel of the light is very good, nothing feels cheap. The stainless bezel is a very nice touch which helps it stand out in this crowded class of lights. Beam profile is pretty close to a P12 with the hotspot being a tiny bit larger. The tint of the beam is whiter to my eyes than the almost purple blue of say a P12.

The heatsinking anti roll design behind the reflector is made of aluminum at least twice as thick as the same area on the P12. The recessed side switch in the heatsink is easy for me to feel for and find without looking but may be a problem with gloves on. Besides the missing sheath my biggest gripe has been with the vague users manual. Not listing a glare coated lens as a feature seems to me to be a big oversight when youre trying to sell lights in this class. Most I can make of using CR123 cells vs an 18650 is that the manual seems to be saying that output and run times are exactly the same for either battery type but then specifies CR123's for turbo output. No loss Ive got plenty of both.

I did notice that the spec says maximum voltage is 8.4, the implication being it'll run on 2x 16340s. I wonder if the output remains the same?

I'll probably get one of these at some point because I really like Sunwayman when they get it right (e.g., V20A) although I was disappointed by the D40A - much prefer the EA41. This looks quite similar to the V20 series in that it seems to have the same tail (I think this 3 scallop design is perfect - the tail is one of my least most hated aspects of the P12) and looks like it has the same quality anodising (which is also disappointing on certain models, oddly). I'm not sure they've got everything just right with this though and while I never particularly liked the P12 UI, I'm actually finding I like it even less over time (usually it's the opposite as it can take time to get used to something new). It's a shame the had to go and copy that instead of doing something a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by robert.t View Post
    I did notice that the spec says maximum voltage is 8.4, the implication being it'll run on 2x 16340s. I wonder if the output remains the same?

I'll probably get one of these at some point because I really like Sunwayman when they get it right (e.g., V20A) although I was disappointed by the D40A - much prefer the EA41. This looks quite similar to the V20 series in that it seems to have the same tail (I think this 3 scallop design is perfect - the tail is one of my least most hated aspects of the P12) and looks like it has the same quality anodising (which is also disappointing on certain models, oddly). I'm not sure they've got everything just right with this though and while I never particularly liked the P12 UI, I'm actually finding I like it even less over time (usually it's the opposite as it can take time to get used to something new). It's a shame the had to go and copy that instead of doing something a bit different.
    I think it is funny you don't like that they "copied" the P12...the P12 is itself a similar light to the Fenix models (as far as I know this was the first one of the type, but I could be wrong).

When a given light is successful, often other companies will imitate it. Nothing wrong with that, to me. It means you have several choices now in the form factor. You have the PD35, the P12, the TN12, and now the P25C. Competition might also keep prices down, since an alternative is always readily available.

...although I was disappointed by the D40A ...
    I've had my D40A and D80A for several weeks now, and I love both of them, so I'm curious what you didn't like about yours. Was it something performance related? Aesthetic? etc.?
    “Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton.”

-Dean Koontz, Brother Odd

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc007 View Post
    I think it is funny you don't like that they "copied" the P12...the P12 is itself a similar light to the Fenix models
    It's not that funny. I realise that they copied both the P12 and the E35 and if you re-read what I said, I didn't refer to the P12 specifically in that sentence. I even mentioned the fact that the P12 and E35 have nearly identical UIs in my earlier post. The important difference between the P12 and the E35 is that I own a P12 but I don't own an E35. I was referring to the specific issues I have with the P12 earlier in that paragraph. The points about the UI would apply equally to the E35, but the point about the tailcap design would not.

I apologise to others for my stupidly pedantic reply, but I found your own misdirected pedantry rather irritating.

^ I believe you're talking about the PD35.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Scott H. View Post
    I've had my D40A and D80A for several weeks now, and I love both of them, so I'm curious what you didn't like about yours. Was it something performance related? Aesthetic? etc.?
    - Poor mode spacing
    - Backwards mode selection
    - Un-ergonomic buttons
    - Anodising isn't as good as other Sunwaymans I have (especially V10A and V20A, which are excellent)
    - O-Ring sheared itself off after a couple of weeks (i.e., after unscrewing the head ~5 times)
    - Doesn't work properly on lithium primaries
    - Poor battery life

Some of this I knew in advance, but I bought anyway because it was on sale and found the rest out later. Bought an EA41 afterwards because I found the size useful and it's much better in every respect. I also like the cutaway grip which makes it more comfortable to hold and the lack of a battery caddy (but these are + for the EA41; I don't consider them a - for the Sunwayman). On the pros side, I believe the Sunwayman is throwier, but I haven't had a chance to compare the beams properly outdoors yet. For what I've used them for so far, both appear to have a decent beam profile and tint. The SWM is marginally cleaner on a white wall because of the LOP reflector, but there's hardly anything in it.

Stangely, the EA41 even feels quite a bit lighter, even though it is precisely the same weight to the gram according to my digital scales. It's probably because it's shorter and less top-heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryp View Post
    ^ I believe you're talking about the PD35.
    I believe you're right - any time I said E35 above it should be taken that I was actually talking about the PD35. I find Fenix model numbers particularly confusing; not sure if they follow any particular pattern or if they are just designed to be arbitrarily similar to each other. At least they aren't as bad as Thrunite.

Anyway, my mistake, sorry if that caused any confusion.

It is amazing to me how cheap most of this class of lights has become! Now with the premium quality(in my opinion)P25C stepping in at the $40-$45 dollar mark I believe Sunwayman has raised the bar for most of the class. Owning all these same size and same power source etc design lights that mostly do the same thing I guess is redundant but I like where this category is going. I believe Thrunite will be next to step up their game on the TN12 next possibly a 2015 edition maybe? Am trying to find a location in my area to take some beamshots with the P25C and as many of the other similar lights as I can and post some pics over the next few days. Dont want to run afoul of the local police with all these high powered lights at night so...want to try and photograph what I see as a distinct difference in of the tint from the P25C from the rest of the class(I see it as pleasantly whiter)...great light I am very impressed despite the lack of sheath(I actually use them lol)

- Poor mode spacing
    - Backwards mode selection
    - Un-ergonomic buttons
    - Anodising isn't as good as other Sunwaymans I have (especially V10A and V20A, which are excellent)
    - O-Ring sheared itself off after a couple of weeks (i.e., after unscrewing the head ~5 times)
    - Doesn't work properly on lithium primaries
    - Poor battery life

Some of this I knew in advance, but I bought anyway because it was on sale and found the rest out later. Bought an EA41 afterwards because I found the size useful and it's much better in every respect. I also like the cutaway grip which makes it more comfortable to hold and the lack of a battery caddy (but these are + for the EA41; I don't consider them a - for the Sunwayman). On the pros side, I believe the Sunwayman is throwier, but I haven't had a chance to compare the beams properly outdoors yet. For what I've used them for so far, both appear to have a decent beam profile and tint. The SWM is marginally cleaner on a white wall because of the LOP reflector, but there's hardly anything in it.

Stangely, the EA41 even feels quite a bit lighter, even though it is precisely the same weight to the gram according to my digital scales. It's probably because it's shorter and less top-heavy.
    Hey, Robert, thanks. The only things from your list that potentially concern me would be battery life and O ring damage. I haven't really had a chance to test out the battery life, so I'll have to wait and see on that. I'll keep an eye on the O ring for a while, too, and see how that goes (no issues thus far). Speaking of O rings and Sunwayman, and interesting thing happened with my D80A. After removing/replacing the tail cap a few times, I noticed a black loop sticking out of the side of the light, between tail cap and body. It turns out it was the O ring. I took the cap off and checked the O ring, and I found that it was chewed up in one small area (where it'd been pinched between the two parts of the light). No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to fit in correctly, so I decided to try one of the spare rings that came in the box. Lo and behold! There were two sizes of O rings, and the one that was on the light that I was having problems with was the same size as the larger of the spares. I tried putting the smaller ring in its place, and it fits and works perfectly. The guy at the factory apparently put the wrong size ring in that spot on my light. I'm wondering if something similar happened with your D40A from the factory?
    “Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton.”

-Dean Koontz, Brother Odd

Quote Originally Posted by G. Scott H. View Post
    The guy at the factory apparently put the wrong size ring in that spot on my light. I'm wondering if something similar happened with your D40A from the factory?
    Most likely. It was very loose. I don't think mine came with spares though. I still need to double check, but if not I'll try to order one from somewhere. Right now WR isn't a concern anyway so I'm using it without one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast