Nitecore SRT3 water leak and flashlight with moonlight mode suggestion

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Nitecore SRT3 For my wife for Christmas. One of the most important features of this flashlight was the low lumen setting. The last flashlight I got her, a Fenix LD 12, was too bright on the lowest setting. The SRT3 with the smart ring went down so low, the lowest setting was barely perceptible. My first impression of the light was very favorable. I wanted to test it, so I brought it to work and used it for a shift – all went well. Then I took it underwater in our hot tub for about 20 minutes. Temperature was only about 100° – this is the same test that I employed with the last two lights I purchased – the Fenix LD 12 and TK 22. As with the other lights, I operated all of the buttons/controls while underwater – in this case that included the smart ring. Maximum depth no more than 3 feet. All seemed fine during the test and immediately after. However, later my wife informed me the light was malfunctioning. Indeed, there was a breach. I found a small amount of water inside the battery compartment, there was fogging on the inside of the lens, and the light flickers when switched on.

Before conducting this test, I cleaned the threads, checked the O-ring, and lubricated the threads and O-ring with super lube. I insured the barrel was snug and secure. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical that a light with a ring like that would be IPX – 8 rated. Still, I was disappointed and my wife even more so because she really liked the light. Being able to dial in the low light intensity like that was really nice for her.

I purchased The flashlight from Amazon, and I am returning it for a refund. I am hesitant to buy another SRT3 since I am suspicious of the water sealing on this type of light. Although my wife does not intend to use it underwater, and it would not be an issue in all likelihood, for that price and since it is supposed to be waterproof to 2 m, I expect it to perform to that standard.

Does anyone else have any insight into the water sealing of this particular model? Another reason I was interested was that I thought perhaps the SRT 7 might possibly find a place in my flashlight collection.

Any other suggestions for a good small flashlight for my wife? It does not have to be tiny, the most important characteristics would be a good moonlight or firefly mode and a fairly simple user interface. Right now I am looking at the Olight S 20 baton. For reference, understand that the 3 lumens of the Fenix LD 12 is too bright for her. That was originally supposed to be her light, I have since inherited it.

Thanks!
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, sounds like bad luck. The ring is beter for waterproofness than a side switch generally. Maybe the bezel wasnt tight or the clicky switch needed niping up ?. I have the earlier nitecore ife1, it gets used by my kid in the bath, out side in rain by the wife and I, never a problem. I would buy a srt for sure.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If done properly magnetic ring lights should be completely waterproof. The ring itself doesn't actually penetrate the body. Instead the body narrows to go around the ring.

However, if it's anything like the Jetbeam RRT-01 or Sunwayman V10, there are additional o-rings becyond the one for the tailcap. There should also be one or two rings at the bezel and probably a third below the magnetic ring (sealing the top and bottom of the head sections around the ring). Perhaps one of those o-rings was defective.

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
If done properly magnetic ring lights should be completely waterproof. The ring itself doesn't actually penetrate the body. Instead the body narrows to go around the ring.

However, if it's anything like the Jetbeam RRT-01 or Sunwayman V10, there are additional o-rings becyond the one for the tailcap. There should also be one or two rings at the bezel and probably a third below the magnetic ring (sealing the top and bottom of the head sections around the ring). Perhaps one of those o-rings was defective.

Thanks for the information! On this flashlight the bezel and had seemed like they are one piece. Perhaps it is just super tight. Light is already on its way back, so I am not able to investigate any further.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
My family has several SRT lights, and like you, got one for my wife and the low lumen is great for reading and middle of the night...

we have had nothing but success with them.

sparraz

Newly Enlightened
My family has several SRT lights, and like you, got one for my wife and the low lumen is great for reading and middle of the night...

we have had nothing but success with them.

Yes, they are nice. Ever test the water seals on any of them?

Latest posts