2015 Olight new models

radiopej

Enlightened
One day I'll buy one the day it comes out so I can review it. By the time I get them there are already plenty of reviews without much to add. Loving the M20SX upgrade.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
One day I'll buy one the day it comes out so I can review it. By the time I get them there are already plenty of reviews without much to add. Loving the M20SX upgrade.

Me too...I sold off my M20S-X, and I kind of miss it. Quite an upgrade, too. 500 lumens to 800+, and way more than double the candela. I really like Olight's accessories, too...they are definitely good about including everything you might need.

I disagree that you can't add anything, though. I don't have the time, ability, or patience to emulate selfbuilt's reviews...but user reviews are just as important, at least to me. Many of the lights I ending up selling or giving away worked fine...but there was some little nagging issue that make it less enjoyable to use (slow interface, knurling that tears up clothing, poor switch location, etc.). Real world feedback is FAR more useful for that type of thing than a desktop review, no matter how good. In my view, more information is better, and even if you can't do the full professional review, you should still share your experience!

Last edited:

radiopej

Enlightened
Oh, definitely. I always add my impressions to the threads after the other reviews, but I mean the full proper ones.

The M20-X had a really cool UI. I keep the diffuser on and it works quite well. The instant strobe is a bonus, though anybody who uses it is surprised when a strobe hits them. So many people don't seem to get a rear clicky.

D6859

Enlightened
Just that I got my M22 two weeks ago the next thing I read at this forum was that it's going to get an upgrade.... But it seems they just dedomed it, am I right?

Modes and runtimes seem to be same with the exception that high mode got 100 lm more. I thought the 250 lm mode should run longer if they updated the circuit.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just that I got my M22 two weeks ago the next thing I read at this forum was that it's going to get an upgrade.... But it seems they just dedomed it, am I right?

Modes and runtimes seem to be same with the exception that high mode got 100 lm more. I thought the 250 lm mode should run longer if they updated the circuit.

De-doming makes an LED less efficient, i.e., at the same drive level, fewer lumens are produced. So if the new version does the same number of lumens, you should expect runtime to be reduced.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good god! Whats the release date for the M3X and who is taking pre-orders??! 250000 candela?? Olight just take my money!

D6859

Enlightened
De-doming makes an LED less efficient, i.e., at the same drive level, fewer lumens are produced. So if the new version does the same number of lumens, you should expect runtime to be reduced.

Sorry, but I don't understand how dedoming changes the efficiency of an LED. I though it is just that you remove the glass dome on the LED and thus making the beam pattern tighter (or allowing smaller reflector to gain same throw).

So what you're implying is that as the led efficiency has decreased, the circuit must have been updated since the runtimes and lumens are same on lower levels. Wonder where they got 100lm addition to high mode :shrug:

About the med mode I remembered reading selfbuilt's review on M22 and, iiirc according to his estimate it is over 400lm so 3h runtime on that level is quite good.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but I don't understand how dedoming changes the efficiency of an LED. I though it is just that you remove the glass dome on the LED and thus making the beam pattern tighter (or allowing smaller reflector to gain same throw).

The dome is there for a reason. It doesn't change the electrical efficiency of the LED, but removing it does reduce the optical efficiency. I.e., fewer lumens actually make it OUT of the LED, with de-doming there are internal losses. I have no idea how this works, exactly, it definitely seems counter-intuitive. But that is the end result...fewer lumens per watt are emitted, thus it needs to be driven harder to achieve the same brightness. This is often an acceptable trade-off, since as you point out, it tends to roughly DOUBLE the beam intensity. For throwers, it makes sense, for flooders it is counter-productive.