Switched Carriers. What to do with old cell phone?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently had sprint as my carrier. Due to happenings [wife wanting a cell phone too, and Sprint plans being too high], I went with another carrier. My question is, what the heck do I do with my old cell phone? It still works fine, looks fairly good, but it is the LG 1010, which is the older LG than what's available now. I can't really sell it because you can get brand new phones for free, or for a very low cost.

So, help me out here. What can I do with this phone?

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
I'd sell it on eBay. Customers can only get a new phone "free" when they open a new account. There are people already on Sprint who want to upgrade their even older phone, or replace a lost or broken phone, for cheap. You may only get $20 bucks or so, but it's better than nothin'!

Good luck.

Dave

Darell

Flashaholic
I donate my old ones. They're distributed to shut-ins and teh elderly since they can still (by law) dial 911 with no service.

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Re: Switched Carriers. What to do with old cell ph

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
I donate my old ones. They're distributed to shut-ins and teh elderly since they can still (by law) dial 911 with no service.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this idea.
They also go to batterd womans shelters/support groups.
You may save a life.

Saaby

Flashaholic

This will be especially nice as 911 centers nationwide get equipment to track cell phones using the GPS chip that's now required by law.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's interesting about the tracking...Very recently some co-workers tried to use that feature by calling the cell-phone carrier as the suspect was calling on a cell-phone. The carrier would not release the location w/out a search warrant. Seems it falls under similar guidelines as billing/calling info, and is considered personal and protected.

--dan

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
CNC Dan said:
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this idea.
They also go to batterd womans shelters/support groups.
You may save a life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I third this idea.

notos&w

Enlightened

many schools and charities also accept them. seems they get a small kickback from somebody (recyclers is my guess).

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

IF you can find an organization (look in the phonebook or even ask your carrier), then the donate idea is GREAT!!

My brother gave me one of his (after he upgraded) for my boys. Our carrier programmed it for their system and my boys share it when they need to at school (calling to get picked up after rifle practice, other events, and/or emergency "insurance".

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
This will be especially nice as 911 centers nationwide get equipment to track cell phones using the GPS chip that's now required by law.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the phone doesn't have eGPS capability already, then it doesn't matter how much new equipment the 911 call center gets.

torment

Newly Enlightened

Well, I'm going to sound immature with this post with all of the upstanding citizens that have previously commented but...

I blew my last one up with some fireworks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chris1

Newly Enlightened

Unless you have a relatively new phone in great shape, Ebay probably isn't worth it. I think donating to battered spouses, etc is a great idea. However; if you want some cash, check out cellforcash.com, I have sent several phones to them. They don't want the batteries or the cords, they send you a box with a prepaid label and when they get your phone, they send you a check. Hope this helps.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast

The donation might be as easy as this:
I was standing at my Verizon customer service counter, (in a room sorta in the back of the store) waiting to up my plan to a gazillion minues/month and to my right, tucked in the corner, I noticed a mailbox-like thing with a sign above it describing the donation type of thing that'd be the destiny of the old phone deposited therein. "Phones for the needy" or something like that is what it said in bold letters and the description was something along the lines of what folks are describing above about the limited but beneficial 911 emergency use for less fortunate people.

Bummer it was so out of sight, but perhaps you could just call a cell provider in your area and ask if they've got one of those old-phone-donation stands in their store.