Prometheus        

View Poll Results: Would you buy a $1k Titanium HDS?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ouch! No!

95 56.89%
  • YES!

30 17.96%
  • I'd love to, but my wife would ax murder me in my sleep.

38 22.75%
  • Damn You Hogo! Martha! Sell the children!

4 2.40%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

Default Re: Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

About the only advantage I can see for titanium is extreme durability, which is important when one is shooting their lights at 10 paces with a shotgun. While the thick HAIII anodized aluminum held up, Iím not sure it would at say 5 paces. I donít think this is probably a normal practice though. Yes, I personally would love a titanium Rotary, just for the extra bullet-proofness... literally. I happen to know from experience that a 9mm 124 grain bullet traveling at 1500 fps will go right through that cheap aluminum (shoddy choice of material if you ask me). I mean why aerospace aluminum? It isnít designed to fly. Even with fins attached mine didnít fly longer than the Wrights brothers 12 seconds, though it did go much further. Yes, I would need a titanium HDS... maybe as a twisty so it wouldnít have that soft vulnerable underbelly of rubber for a switch... the Achilles heal of the light when shooting it. If more people just started shooting their HDS lights, then maybe would get some in titanium sooner.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    About the only advantage I can see for titanium is extreme durability, which is important when one is shooting their lights at 10 paces with a shotgun. While the thick HAIII anodized aluminum held up, Iím not sure it would at say 5 paces. I donít think this is probably a normal practice though. Yes, I personally would love a titanium Rotary, just for the extra bullet-proofness... literally. I happen to know from experience that a 9mm 124 grain bullet traveling at 1500 fps will go right through that cheap aluminum (shoddy choice of material if you ask me). I mean why aerospace aluminum? It isnít designed to fly. Even with fins attached mine didnít fly longer than the Wrights brothers 12 seconds, though it did go much further. Yes, I would need a titanium HDS... maybe as a twisty so it wouldnít have that soft vulnerable underbelly of rubber for a switch... the Achilles heal of the light when shooting it. If more people just started shooting their HDS lights, then maybe would get some in titanium sooner.

👍
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Yes, I would need a titanium HDS... maybe as a twisty
    I'm sure you weren't hinting that there might ever be titanium twisties again (right?!?), but yes oh my that would be even better than a titanium rotary.

Who has those 2 or 3 titanium twisties that were made? I feel lucky just to have a regular old aluminium one.

Quote Originally Posted by djj View Post
    I'm sure you weren't hinting that there might ever be titanium twisties again (right?!?), but yes oh my that would be even better than a titanium rotary.

Who has those 2 or 3 titanium twisties that were made? I feel lucky just to have a regular old aluminium one.
    If you donít mind me asking whatís the difference between a twisty and a rotary. Two or Three now that is rare, I have only ever seen the Titanium clicky come up for sale.

The Ra Twisty had a progressive multi-stage (twist) switch

The Ti Ra Twisty was incredibly rare indeed

Links ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Titanium-1002

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=201741
    Last edited by archimedes; 02-17-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    The Ra Twisty had a progressive multi-stage (twist) switch

The Ti Ra Twisty was incredibly rare indeed

Links ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-Titanium-1002

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=201741
    Thank you

I donít consider the Twisty as more robust than the Clicky or Rotary. Those U-wires inside could bend (and did) causing loss of modes. That said, they were awesome and I loved the two I had!

Quote Originally Posted by djj View Post

Quote Originally Posted by d13avo View Post
    If you donít mind me asking whatís the difference between a twisty and a rotary. Two or Three now that is rare, I have only ever seen the Titanium clicky come up for sale.
    Actually there were 7 Twisty's in titanium. Three levels only and a lot more hassle to program than the Clicky.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I donít consider the Twisty as more robust than the Clicky or Rotary. Those U-wires inside could bend (and did) causing loss of modes. That said, they were awesome and I loved the two I had!
    Forgot about the wires breaking, but now that you mention it, I had to send one back to Henry for repair.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Does HDS Systems have any Nichia 219b 4000K R9050 emitters gathering dust in the back of a drawer?
    Last edited by RCS1300; 02-20-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Does HDS Systems have any Nichia 219b 4000K R9050 emitters gathering dust in the back of a drawer?
    Nope.
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Default Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

Hmmmmm 🤔

Last edited by Ozythemandias; 02-20-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    White wall hunting is not a very good indicator of a flashlightís potential, not sure where it got itís popularity. - DB Customs

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Hmmmmm 樂
    Which network news outfit do you work for? LOL!

Flashaholic*

Which network news outfit do you work for? LOL!
    Even though his information is out of context and incorrect, he still did more research than any modern day "journalist" or news outlet. You can tell because he has been hard at it for 92%, haha.

Based on my reading, there was a 50 unit run of Rotary titanium lights made and from the LED selections 48 are reserved. When will the remaining few lights be offered for sale? Do not want to miss this opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Based on my reading, there was a 50 unit run of Rotary titanium lights made and from the LED selections 48 are reserved. When will the remaining few lights be offered for sale? Do not want to miss this opportunity.
    Once the titanium lights are actually shipped. Getting close now. Spoke with the machinist again yesterday.
    I will announce it in the forum on the various FB pages both when we are shipping, and when the remainder will go up for sale.

Default Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozythemandias View Post
    Hmmmmm 🤔
    Haha! Busted! Okay that was pretty funny...
    Last edited by InvisibleFrodo; 02-22-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Once the titanium lights are actually shipped. Getting close now.
    Can't wait for these to show up with my new 9080 emitter too.

Flashaholic

Forward progress! Sweet...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011