Titanium HDS... Would you buy one?

Would you buy a $1k Titanium HDS?

• Ouch! No!

Votes: 95 56.5%
  • YES!

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • I'd love to, but my wife would ax murder me in my sleep.

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • Damn You Hogo! Martha! Sell the children!

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry has been going back and forth about doing a Titanium run of Rotary lights.
I, of course, being an HDS addict, have been pushing for this.
Henry thinks there might not be enough interest as the cost of manufacturing them would be... well... to put it mildly, unearthly high.
So my question is this, would you buy a Titanium HDS if it cost around $1k? That's the estimated cost if HDS produces such an animal.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't even buy a regular HDS, so.. no.

I admire their use of Nichia emitters and their simple but elegant form factor, but I could never agree with the asking price, which is a same because I would really want one if that wasn't the case. 1,000 for a titanium light is completely unrealistic to me. I think to make it a successful business proposal, it should be more around 500 like the titainum McGizmos. I would also have preferred if the aluminum HDS lights were more around 150.

Last edited:

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hitit:Though I'm curious about how much 'enough interest' is needed for a run.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
$1,000 for a titanium HDS? Sorry not interested. That's outside my budget for a single light.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a huge fan of Henry's lights. I truly believe that they are the absolute best everyday carry light that money can buy. The hyper red rotary for the group buy I'm waiting on will be my 3rd HDS. :candle:

I also really like titanium. :D
But $1000 is too steep.
If it were $500, I'd be in. Maybe even up to $650 or $750... But $1k, IMO, is just too much. With McGizmo's lights, which are also titanium, topping out at around $500, it would be too hard for me to justify almost double. Additionally, paying over 3x over a normal one simple to have it made out of titanium instead of aluminum isn't worth it to me.

This is sad to hear. :sigh:

d13avo

Enlightened
I am in total agreement with RobertM. I love Henry's lights but if I spent a $1000 on a light I think my Mrs would deck me.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

seb13

Newly Enlightened
I love these ligths, i own three HDS! I'm also a big fan of titanium.

But i agree, 1k is too much for me. Maybe at $500 / 600, no more.

JKolmo

Enlightened
Naahh, 1k is too steep for me as well. Makes me wonder though how many junkies would dare to publicily admit their willingness to pony up 1k...[emoji2]

drillbitz11

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me as well. Going rate when they come up for sale is around $750 and thats for something thats impossible to buy new obviously. I would think a fair price would be somewhere between $500-$600. If the price were in that ballpark, I would gladly prepay right now.

cubebike

Enlightened
I am big fan of HDS and owing 3 this time. Saving my pocket money for a while for the Ti rotary. However, 1K is a bit too steep. I think I am happy to pay $800 the most.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I am not in a financial position to do so, so I believe that makes my opinion biased. That said @ $380 for Cerakote, you are already in Mcgizmo territory. I could have gotten a Mcgizmo, but I didn't, I bought an HDS instead. Titanium is purely a luxury thing in the context of this run. I chose the HDS for the engineering and reliability and as a tool rather than jewelry. That's not to say I won't purchase a Mcgizmo, or that Micgizmo is jewelry simply because it's titanium, or any less useful. I'll most likely get one when finances permit, but I selected the HDS first for it's reliability & functionality knowing the money went into the machine and not the material. I think even though our economy is marginally better than it's been, many people would feel the same way at the moment and it may not be the best time for a Ti run. That said, when I am in the financial position to do so I would be much more receptive to spend that amount for the exotic material. Make no mistake, Mcgizmo like HDS is in it's own galaxy, but in times of need I choose the right tool for the job instead of letting prestige be a significant contributing factor. Titanium is also part of the Mcgizmo DNA and can be accounted for. @ $1k thats double a Mcgizmo and most of that is solely going into the material.

Just thought I'd way in. Im a relatively new HDS fan, but I am a LOUD one, I throw it down with anyone that doesn't have all the facts on what makes HDS an HDS and what you are paying for. Some people just don't recognize or value genius design.

EDIT: For all the one liners.... You should really contribute more to back up your opinion with some sort of explanation rather than an empty "Blah Blah $1,000!!!!!". It does nothing in the fact finding department if you can't add a little context to your vote.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a huge fan of Henry's lights. I truly believe that they are the absolute best everyday carry light that money can buy. The hyper red rotary for the group buy I'm waiting on will be my 3rd HDS. :candle:

I also really like titanium. :D
But $1000 is too steep.
If it were $500, I'd be in. Maybe even up to $650 or $750... But $1k, IMO, is just too much. With McGizmo's lights, which are also titanium, topping out at around $500, it would be too hard for me to justify almost double. Additionally, paying over 3x over a normal one simple to have it made out of titanium instead of aluminum isn't worth it to me.

This is sad to hear. :sigh:

This pretty much sums up my feelings. My hyper red will be my 4th HDS (I've sold a few along the way as I adjusted to what I really prefer), and $300 is pretty much the 'edge' of my sweet spot. I hope this run happens just so we can see some new ones out there, but unfortunately I won't be able to support this one!

Hogo - you are the man - thank you for all the effort you put into the CPF community and HDS! And Henry - thanks for making lights fun for me again!

easilyled

Flashaholic
I don't really know enough about the Rotary HDS to feel qualified to give a good answer.

I've bought several SPY007s in the past and they're in the region of the price being mentioned here. So, if the quality of the machining is likely to be of the same excellence as it is for the SPY007, and if the Rotary HDS is of a similar calibre when it comes to the versatility and usefulness of a SPY007, then I suppose I would consider it.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always wanted to try a Rotary HDS. The UI in theory is very appealing.

1000 USD is a premium price for a single cell Ti flashlight without 50 trit tubes, even around here where the buyers lurk.

There is--without a doubt--more going into a SPY than an HDS rotary. So if we have SPY's for 1000USD, this seems steep. He can at least start with bar stock.

I think it would need to get under 600 before I would start rearranging the budget.

There is an amazing set of Ti lights for sale now in the for-sale section...priced at well below what they should be...almost all below 500USD...all unsold for weeks now!

Wow, 1000USD is a big boy price for the upgrade from Al to Ti. I realize machining costs skyrocket, as does materials cost. But if a SPY can be made for 1000, I gotta believe this can be done for under 800, too.

obi

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't buy a regular HDS as I think they are overpriced for what you get. So no, I definitely wouldn't buy a lower performance version for twice the price. Especially since most manufactures use crap Ti alloys that don't even offer very good scratch and thread wear resistance and that is Ti's only benefit imo other then looks if you like that.

Just like nickel platted firearms, I think bling has very little place on a tool. I value useful features that add, not take away from the performance.

Charles L.

Enlightened
Lights like the Spy are one of the very few with the custom design, man-hours and provenance to command a 4 figure price. Does an HDS have that? My initial impression is no, but then I'm not your target audience for a titanium HDS. You might find an entirely new market for such a light.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
I like my HDS lights especially my Ti Ra Clicky but I wouldn't drop 1000 on a ti HDS. To tell the truth I'm all into Surefire's 1x CR123 at the moment: I LOVE the beams with the new TIR lights like E1L-A,EB1 and E1D. The HDS emits a cone of light with the spill coming to a sudden stop whereas the TIR beams have a wider spill and softer transition. So I might be willing to drop this amount of cash on a Ti HDS with TIR and 18350 compatibility and driven a bitter harder!

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For $1000 I could buy an Al HDS and a McGizmo Haiku, and then slam them together in a particle collider.