How bright is L5 on Niwalker MM15?

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Recent experience of the SC62W and H2, where it's not as bright as I was expecting given it's meant to be 577 lumens. I'm assuming the 'neutral white' tint and 80 deg spill contributes to this.

This has raised concerns over the MM15 and its brightness on the L5 setting.

Nearly all beamshots are taken at 'turbo' or the highest setting. While this shows the max brightness, from a practical sense for me it isn't very useful- the highest mode either lasts a few mins before stepping down or the overall runtime is not long enough for me (2.5-3hrs).

Apart from the bulk, the MM15 sounds ideal- 1950 lumens for over 5hrs; big thumbs up. Except is it- full power beamshots of all 5233 lumens look great but given there's not much throw and it's a more neutral tint how much brightness do you actually lose dropping to L5? Will I b left thinking its no brighter than a 400 lumen CW light?

Can anyone with practical experience of the MM15 comment/ show some comparative beamshots please?:)

ven

Flashaholic
Hi Dr O .Brighter then l4 but not as bright as l6:poke:;)

Certainly a noticeable difference ,mine is modded by vinh so 2000lm to 7400 OTF lumen is a big gap. Its certainly a useful 2000lm though,but you would be pushed for 5hrs.........Depending on ambient temps will depend on how long you will get on 5l due to heat. It still gets warm however up Scotland and this time of year you should get decent run times in the - temps. It is a really good flood light and the mtg2 tint is fantastic:) Any throw type light will be brighter in the hot spot due to being concentrated,but the sheer amount of flood will not be matched by a CW 400lm light.............or pretty much most lights imo

I have not run L5 till cells run down so cant tell you actual run times,nor do i have any pics of L5 unfortunately........

plata0190

Enlightened
In my experience l4 that's about 850lm was a bit less than 500lm by xml2 on a cheap headlight (10€). I think it is because the neutral tint and obviously the floody beam.

Last edited:

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dr O .Brighter then l4 but not as bright as l6:poke:;)

Certainly a noticeable difference ,mine is modded by vinh so 2000lm to 7400 OTF lumen is a big gap. Its certainly a useful 2000lm though,but you would be pushed for 5hrs.........Depending on ambient temps will depend on how long you will get on 5l due to heat. It still gets warm however up Scotland and this time of year you should get decent run times in the - temps. It is a really good flood light and the mtg2 tint is fantastic:) Any throw type light will be brighter in the hot spot due to being concentrated,but the sheer amount of flood will not be matched by a CW 400lm light.............or pretty much most lights imo

I have not run L5 till cells run down so cant tell you actual run times,nor do i have any pics of L5 unfortunately........

Haha - indeed:laughing:

7400 lumens- wow, that's sounds bright- and battery intensive lol.

If I got 3hrs I would be happy- don't mind too much playing with levels to extend runtime to that but I'd certainly want 2hrs of straight L5 power just to have it but on the climbs I just don't need that much light. Sounds like it's achievable.

I take it the thermal step down is from any level then not just turbo to L5? I guess it makes sense when you think about it. As my lights are really only used during winter months for running / biking heat build up is not an issue as it's usually tres baltic. Although it was a tropical 4 degrees tonight- much warmer and it would be rude not to get the T-shirt out:D

I like the amount of flood for peripheral vision and the tint sounds good too so those are plus points. I'm warming to the idea a bit more although it will be a bit of a bodge to fit to the bike but I've looked at all the bike lights and I'm not that impressed even when you spend a few hundred pounds I don't think they are as good- granted the weight is dispersed better on them with separate battery packs but it's the sheer power and run times that was the draw in addition to the beam profile and tint.
Thanks for the input:)

Dr O

Newly Enlightened
In my experience l4 that's about 850lm was a bit less than 500lm by xml2 on a cheap headlight (10€). I think it is because the neutral tint and obviously the floody beam.

Thanks- I've seen somewhere that difference between CW and NW is about 7% but visually it seems more. At least L5 is over twice as bright as L4 so in theory if it only matched my D25LC2 which is about 421lm for brightness, the larger flood and therefore area lit could possibly atone.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, no runtimes or beamshots, but I can say that level 5 on my MM15 speced at 1950 lumens definitely appears to me to be 1950 (about 2000) lumens.

Compared to my MMU-X3 at 1600 lumens, it is a creamy white, more flood, and just a teensy tad wee bit less brightness at the very center of the beam; more than amply made up by having more floodlight.

You will not be disappointed, I can say with as much certainty as I can. :)