Jetbeam        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Olight M2X-UT Javelot (XM-L2 dedome, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES+

Default Re: Olight M2X-UT Javelot (XM-L2 dedome, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME

Quote Originally Posted by CUL8R View Post
    Selfbuilt,

As several folks have pointed out it appears Olight might have changed the LED in its newer models of this light. I've just received a "F" serial number model and it does appear that there is a very flat dome over the LED. Have you looked at a newer "F" model? I'm hoping if there is some sort of dome on the newer models (possibly as a filter to cut down on the greenish tint some have complained about) it hasn't reduced lux on the F models as some on here have perceived. Any chance you'll look at/compare one of the newer ones? Here is a very poor picture I just took of the emitter on my F serial numbered light. There appears to be a coating or flat dome over just the emitter.

Hey mate can you provide a beam shot? Does the beam look kind of greenish? Thanks.

Default Re: Olight M2X-UT Javelot (XM-L2 dedome, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME

Olight confirms via email, the led has changed from XM-L2 to XP-L.

My light Meter is not an expensive one but it shows quite a drop in output for the F series M2X-UT which I also have. My E series fully dedomed bare metal and LED shows about 115,000 lux from about one metre. From exactly the same distance and conditions my Thrunite TN32 gave 115,000 lux but my F series measured only 95,000 lux and to my naked eye does NOT throw as far as the E series. I swapped the identical batteries between F & E series M2X-UT and got the same results. The E series M2X-UT has slightly different wording on the box as well. eg E series "Latest top of the line, highest-performing, single-die CREE XM-L2 LED" whereas the F series reads "Customized CREE LED with a smooth reflector creates a tightly-focused beam to maximise throw reaching out to 810M (2675ft)". Unanounced but significant change with F series definitely having clear-coat or shallow dome over LED, does not look anything like their advertising on Ebay and other dealers websites. My E series as previously stated has light corrosion coat on LED metal base which I have also noted on our M2X-UT forums.

Regards John

Olight SR95-UT SBT-70, Fenix TK-70, Thrunite TN32, Olight M2X-UT (both F&E versions), Nitecore EA8, Ultrafire C8, Thrunite Neutron 2a v2, Nitecore HC90, Olight S15, XTAR VP2 x2, Maha MH-C808M

I figure when just doing comparisons, an expensive meter isn't necessary. It just needs to be consistent.

I'm not interested typically in the actual number, but comparing is always fun.

I did some ceiling bounce tests once with a 40 year old GE candela meter. It was fun to log the difference in each light, but I'd guess the accuracy of the actual readings would be reasonably off.

Quote Originally Posted by John7Boy View Post
    My light Meter is not an expensive one but it shows quite a drop in output for the F series M2X-UT which I also have. My E series fully dedomed bare metal and LED shows about 115,000 lux from about one metre. From exactly the same distance and conditions my Thrunite TN32 gave 115,000 lux but my F series measured only 95,000 lux and to my naked eye does NOT throw as far as the E series.
    Thanks for the numbers. I too saw little difference between my M2X-UT and TN32. Interesting to see the F-series has dropped, although a ~20% drop is not as severe as I feared (from the apparent spec difference reported here).

Quote Originally Posted by Limey Johnson View Post
    I figure when just doing comparisons, an expensive meter isn't necessary. It just needs to be consistent.
    I'm not interested typically in the actual number, but comparing is always fun.
    Absolutely right. For many years I used cheap lightmeters, and found them all to be quite internally consistent. I only moved to a NIST-calibrated one to provide more accurate readings for my samples. But for more people, all that counts in consistent comparisons.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Hi Selfbuilt,

1 I will mount the Olight M2X UT Javelot on my bicycle, to see, how it is, to drive with 160 kcd...will test it at night, outside urban area, to not blind anyone...

...and will test it, at midday/afternoon, in not urban, and urban area...to see, how i the 160 kcd is visible, for other traffic.

Visible you think, even at afternoon?

2 Can my local bikestore hopefully, mount the M2X, on my bike?

I will try, and ask tomorrow.

Maybe a bad idea, mount so much kcd on my bicycle, but want know, how it is, for me, and other traffic, cycling, with the low...med, and HIGH mode, of my Olight M2X UT Javelot.

What you think?

Quote Originally Posted by RemcoM View Post
    What you think?
    Again, I think it's a bad idea to mount such a focused thrower on a bicycle. Unless you only plan to drive in deserted areas (?), you are likely to blind any other people you come across. And since you are never driving at high speed on a bike, you don't need to see hundred of meters in front of you - what you really need is the immediate area in front of the bike illuminated. A general purpose flashlight beam is recommended for bike riding.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale

my .02. A mountain biker for 10 years. The M2X is WAY too focused for night riding. The only way I could see this working would be just around the neighborhood at a nice relaxing speed. If you were to attempt to ride singletrack with this light, I'm 100% sure it will end up in something broken! Light, bike, or (if you ride anything like I do), maybe YOU.

Hi i just received my olight m2x ut and it has different led it is completely domed and its F serial number ? it is defrent from both lights from this thread
    so olight updated this led once more ?

Flashaholic

Hi SB,

Could you post the M2X-UT runtime using the OEM battery extender (2x18650)? I have purchased 4 M2X-UT for my friends all with the battery extender. Just curious if the runtime curve is comparable to M3X-UT. I notice that the M2X-UT runtime curve is not as constant as the M3X-UT because the single 18650 can't sustain needed power. Your test with M3X-UT using 2x18650 showed a very good stabilization over a longer time after the timed step down. I'm just wondering if it's the upgraded driver or just capacity limitation. We know that M2X-UT is driven less than the M3X-UT, if anything is the same it should last longer. I really love this little pocket thrower and the added performance of M3X-UT doesn't really tempting because of it's bigger size except, for the flatter runtime curve.

Many thanks,
    Clemence

Quote Originally Posted by clemence View Post
    Could you post the M2X-UT runtime using the OEM battery extender (2x18650)? I have purchased 4 M2X-UT for my friends all with the battery extender. Just curious if the runtime curve is comparable to M3X-UT.
    I did 2x16340 and 2x18350 runtimes in this review of the M2X-UT - and 2x18650 wouldn't look any different, except for the extended runtime.

I know it's a bit hard to see in the graphs in this review, but output of the 1x and 2x 3.7V Li-ion sources is exactly the same: the light starts out ~950 estimated ANSI FL-1 lumens, starts a controlled (timed) drop in output starting 3 mins, leveling off at ~650 lumens after ~5.5 mins. It then stays regulated at this new lower level. The only different 2x18650 will make is extended runtime at this lower regulated level.

It's a different circuit form the M3XS-UT, but the M2X-UT handles all voltage sources exactly the same way.

I don't think this has been mentioned; an important advantage of using 2x18650 is that even at a low state of charge, the flashlight should output full brightness on high. For example, if a single 18650 cell is at, say, 25% state of charge, the light would not be able to output the full 950 lumens because the battery voltage would most likely be below the LED forward voltage for this output. But with 2x18650 in series, each at 25% SOC, the voltage would still be above the LED forward voltage and should output the full 950 lumens. This advantage is not apparent from the runtime graphs because of the timed output drop.

I am thinking of buying this light with the extension tube so I have the option of using 1 or 2 18650 cells. I am wondering about the low battery warning/protection. With 1 cell, you get an indication that the charge is low when max mode is not much brighter than the next mode down. This is how I tell the battery needs recharging in my fenix TK15 (337 lumen version), and I imagine lots of similar lights with just buck regulators work in a similar fashion. But with 2 cells, from your runtime graph, it looks like the output drops unexpectedly, and by this time, the cells are probably depleted to under 2V per cell.

I have lights where there is no low battery warning, and you just have to be vigilant and be aware of the battery voltage to make sure it doesn't get overdischarged. It sure is nice to have a low battery warning, though. Like on my Nitecore HC50 headlamp; it is designed for 1 18650 cell and it tells you when the open circuit voltage is below 3.6V (roughly 50% discharged), and it also has a built in volt meter.

So, for this M2X-UT, is there any warning system, or do you just have to be aware of your battery state?

Quote Originally Posted by EasyB View Post
    But with 2 cells, from your runtime graph, it looks like the output drops unexpectedly, and by this time, the cells are probably depleted to under 2V per cell.
    No, what you are seeing is the battery protection circuit kicking in. The resting voltage would be higher. There is no low-voltage warning feature on the light that I am aware of. You would need to monitor the status of your batteries if you want to avoid being potentially surprised.

It is rare to see low-voltage warning features on multi-cell lights - unless they are intending for you to use unprotected cells (which is not the case here).

Cool Re: Olight M2X-UT Javelot (XM-L2 dedome, 1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME

First of all I was very impressed at ththe detail of your review. I own a first run m2x with the dedomed XM-L2 emitter and boy does it throw. For a stock x1 18650 light of this compact configuration it's performance is top notch. I always get a lil giddy whenever I shine it outside at night and witness its upwards of a half mile beam.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234