• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB. Mac's Brass Knurly or other Mac's EDC lights

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
moved to WTB forum. Mac's Brass Knurly or other Mac's EDC lights

moving to WTB forum.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I been drooling over the Mac Knurly's 18350's for a long time myself. Which inspired me to reach out to Ventureblood on this forum to build be something similar but smaller and 50% more powerful. Why I loved the Mac Knurly?

• Well, you get the capacity of 700mAh up to 5A cells vs. 16340's.
  • Great with pocket clip carry
  • Small enough to serve great inside the pocket
  • Knurling looks amazing
  • small tiny light = wow factor
  • can be made with up to 600 Lumens

Time has now allowed for something even better made IMHO: Fenix E15 Twistie Keychain
  • New IMR 16340's now also have 700mAh and can take 10A
  • at 60mm long (66mm if you include the keychain portion of it) It redefines what tiny powerhouse is.
  • Knurling is incredible. Feels amazing to use with one hand.
  • Pocket carry with ease or in keychain
  • Stock its only 170 Lumens

I myself happily give up on the tailcap clicky aspect if the light feels like its 50% smaller and believe it or not the 18mm body vs. 16mm body is huge difference when pocket carry.
My E15 in particular is being made into a Direct Drive XPL monster. So, 1500 lumen tiny powerhouse here we come.

If I were you I would message Vinhnugyen or Ventureblood to get you a Fenix E15 and make it direct drive with your choice of XPL, XML2, or XPG2 or even I will purchase another one to turn into an XPE2 DD in hopes of 400 Lumens and 20~30K lux in a 60mm keychain light.

Best,
bigC

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several 2003-2004 vintage Doug Speck knurled brass pieces. I have Doug's knurled 3 * 123 Surefire E series clone brass body, a 1 * 123 brass extension for the body, and a brass E to C head adapter. I was lucky to receive my Doug Speck parts before he stiffed a great many members which gave rise to the only group lawsuit to recover that I'm aware of on CPF. I think the term used at the time for Doug's bodies was "UBH" for "Universal Battery Holder" (Doug also provided a tube to firmly hold a pair of AA cells inside the 3 * 123 body which I also have.)

I will shortly have a Fivemega all copper finned P60 head. I can combine these parts with the following tailcaps which aren't copper or brass: OEM Surefire HA green or silvertone E series tailcaps and a McGizmo HA green tailcap that mechanically allows a single level LED to be run as a high-low. (The tightened tailcap screws down first to make a high resistance low connection and then to make a low resistance high connection.) Don Macleish advised me that he quickly stopped making these after he received a cease-and-desist letter from Surefire claiming that the tailcaps violated a Surefire patent that was sitting on a shelf.

I'm planning to combine the brass body and E to C adapter with a Copper head and one of the mis-matched tailcaps. I'll load a 123 spacer with a Sanyo 2500 mAh 4.35 V 16650 cell capable of continuously driving 2C. I'll drop in a XML-2 3-level P60 drop-in driven at 3 Amps on level 1.

I've found the DS brass body to be heavy enough that it has mostly been a shelf-queen over the past 11 or 12 years. The combo I envision may change that, but I still expect to be willing to part with it.

I see that these pieces aren't mentioned in your 2013 thread. Do they interest you?

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry. I was looking for the UBH a while back. just specifically looking for Macs Knurly EDC triple. if by 2013 thread you are referring to the copper thread linked in my sig, I have no included any brass lights in it, and the FiveMega stuff is listed there....

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. I didn't read your copper thread closely enough to see that it contained no brass.

Good luck!