What did you do with your old Maglights?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I have a 2D LED sitting in a drawer with no plans outside of the zombie apocalypse.

I have a 2D incan that I use at night when I'm also using candles for lighting - the tints match beautifully. Once the batteries in this one are done, it, too, will go in the drawer.

I traded my 2C incan.

I have two 2AAA LED MiniMaglites that I use as mood lighting to burn a stash of unwanted alkaline AAAs; their flickering and unregulation mean that I don't use them seriously. I will probably gift them.

I gifted my 2AA LED MiniMag.

I really do like Maglite, but I will almost certainly never buy another one (even though I irrationally WANT one of every model! LOL).

wjv

Enlightened
Tossed some cheap LED bulbs in them. Still have a HORRIBLE ringy beam. Actually one is a Brinkman 4x'D' and the other is a Mag 3x'C'. I really should do a reflector/bulb upgrade as it would be worth it to do it right!

onetrickpony

Enlightened
Built a 4d direct drive xml for a family member a few years ago, 2d 2x26650 mtg2 currently direct drive, that light is awesome, 2xaa that has a boost driver and an xre twist on, 3xaa p60 mutant that I used an old Solarforce head . I have a few others in various stages of completion. I like em, but I kind of wonder if I should have just bought complete modern lights a long time ago sometimes...

dss_777

Enlightened
Built a 4d direct drive xml for a family member a few years ago, 2d 2x26650 mtg2 currently direct drive, that light is awesome, 2xaa that has a boost driver and an xre twist on, 3xaa p60 mutant that I used an old Solarforce head . I have a few others in various stages of completion. I like em, but I kind of wonder if I should have just bought complete modern lights a long time ago sometimes...

If you enjoyed the process, why not?

The only thing you can't do by modding that Maglight is make it smaller. I think one of the major benefits of modern lights is how dang little they are for what they do.

trubltmols

Newly Enlightened
Car lights now, nothing more. Sad really, they used to be the lights to have.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff drop-ins. Maybe my Zebralights can kick out just as much light while being EDC-able. But the Mags have the advantage of being able to produce sustained high lumens for extended times due to the high capacity NiMH C and D cells. Also, their large size means they can dissipate heat well, and don't need to step down like the smaller lights. Although many here might disagree, I still believe larger lights like Mags have their place.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I converted a 2C Maglite to LED and run it from 2AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium primary batteries using PVC pipe as a battery tube shim.

I made pill fobs from a 1AAA Solitaire and a 2AA Mini Maglite.

Some of my other Maglites are essentially collecting dust.

pill-holder2.jpg

minimag-cut.jpg

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
sitting on my kitchen counter, one hot wire and one LED conversion both with AR lens and MOP reflectors just waiting to be used for what ever.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I have 2xAA incans all over the place - in my car, on the desk, in the basement. At some point I realized these were not the lights I wanted in an emergency, so I bought appropriate replacements, but the old Mags work fine. They're at least good for checking the thermostat, reading the electric meter, or whatever, and despite being over 30 years old, they work like new. I also have a 3xD that I keep for the zombie apocalypse, as Grijon said (but I doubt there are three D cells in the house).

ronniepudding

Enlightened
My 2D and 5D have battery adapters fitted so that they run on AA NiMH (with a box of D cells in the basement as insurance against an extended power outage), the reflectors have been upgraded to aluminum Kaidomain MOP, the Incan bulbs replaced with Nite Ize LED PR 'bulbs', and the lenses replaced with glass. It was fun doing those light mods, but they will not receive any further investment. The 2D lives in the garage, and the 5D is in the house... Neither sees much use, but in a pinch I know where I can find a bunch of Eneloops ;) They are both glorified battery caddies.

Speaking of which, I do have a few 2xAA incan minimags lying around... It would be fun to turn one into a battery case along the lines of the Solitaire pill fob posted earlier.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have 2 older incan MiniMaglites, one of them still gets use while the other lays dead in my closet due to broken lamp parts. Upgrading the good one (AA model) to LED. I also have some of the newer LED Mags. I like using them as candles when there is power outages. :).

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old Maglights are all ROPs. Bright! No use for a stock Maglight....

broadgage

Enlightened
I have a couple of D cell Maglights with LED drop ins that are still in regular use.
Numerous others are in working order and stored without batteries for use or to loan or sell in case of any extended power outage. I still keep spare incandescent bulbs and 100 D cells in case of emergency. A 7D is kept to hand for things that go bump in the night.
EDC is a 2AA min mag with LED drop in.

Drclaw

Newly Enlightened
put them in the trash after I compared them to lights 1/2 the size with only one battery

Latest posts