Crenellated replacement bezel ring for Fenix PD35?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a buddy at work hooked on lights, and he got himself a Fenix LD12, and he just recently bought himself a PD35.

He's wondering if he can get a bezel / bezel ring for the PD35 that is crenellated (or at least scalloped to some degree) like the LD12.

Anybody? Any aftermarket parts, Fenix or otherwise to accomplish this? I don't even know if the construction of the PD35 supports this.

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know why they don't have this to being with? It had become standard on the PD line. I guess it simplifies the manufacturing process.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know why they don't have this to being with? It had become standard on the PD line. I guess it simplifies the manufacturing process.

Good question. You would also think for such a high-output light, it would be handy to tell if it was turned ON if it was set down on a flat surface.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

A lot of people don't like crenelated bezels. The PD35 is designed to be an EDC-friendly light, and a crenelated bezel would not improve that core function (in fact I would argue it might interfere with it). If you set the light down on the head, best to turn it off first, crenelated bezel or not. The heat generated has nowhere to go...on high modes this can be a real problem.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that crenelated bezels have been "standard" on PD models. I've had a couple different models in the PD line, and they both have non-crenellated bezels. Some have them, some don't.

Last edited:

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Yes the older don't have it. I said they have become standard. I don't see how it makes them any less " EDC Friendly", they aren't sharp. The only purpose I see for them other than looking cool is seeing if the light is indeed on when head down.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crenelated bezels are not standard, though. There are old models that do have them, and there are new models that don't.

My thought on EDC use was that the crenelations could get caught on something (even while doing something as simple as holstering the light). They don't need to be sharp for that to happen.

I am generally a fan of more choice...of course it would be nice to have a crenelated bezel as an option. But if Fenix doesn't provide the option, so be it. If you really want to see more crenelated bezels in the future, it would make more sense to contact Fenix directly. Maybe you can convince them to offer both types.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant imagine any of my PD's having crenelated bezels. As much as I have EDC my PD35's to death I can only see a crenelated bezel snagging up in my pocket whenever I draw the light or clip it back in. Lord can you imagine a PD/UC35 with one of those Nitecore SRT7 replacement crenelated bezels with the GIANT teeth? Ugh...hope Fenix keeps the PD/UC clean looking without a crenelated bezel

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most Fenix lights have had crenelated bezels since the LD and PD series were launched in early 2009 - I may be a few months off, maybe it was late 2008.
I believe the PD35 head design somewhat followed the TK35 which did not have any crenelations. Another example of a Fenix light without crenelations was TK20. I'm not sure about Fenix models released in the last year or so as I haven't read about them much and nearly all my Fenix flashlights are 2009 > 2011 models.

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
I could actually use a crenulated bezel on my Fenix PD35 (2014 version). I have it on PD22 UE and I was walking around with it for example during late night in Barcelona (where I was on a bussiness trip) It was my only defense tool... and guys... when you hit someone with this flashlight that has the crenulated bezel, in self-defense situation, it is definitely more painful than without it. But I can imagine that big crenulated bezel could cause problems in some airports as well as some countries where other defensive tools like pepper spray, collapsable batons etc. are already considered "dangerous weapons" and banned for civil sector. I think in these "strange" countries will ban tactical flashlights with crenulated bezel as well. What a stupid idea I have to say, but I think a very real one in some parts of the world. Cause only LEO are here to protect you... you can not protect yourself. It is ilegal!!! Thankfully not in my country. :)